Italy, Rivieras and Islands Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Italy, Rivieras and Islands.
Sorrento
57 Posts
I personally wouldn't go to Sorrento with a teenager. Its a beautiful place, but there's littel to keep a teenager amused. There's no beach as such, just big pontoons, (small piers) leading out to the water. Eating out or strolling is the main evening's events.
I stayed at the Parco Del Sole which was lovely, but I think a teenager would be bored.
any ideas on where to go them with a teenager?
Sounds daft but what would the teenager like?

As a teenager Sorrento would have been great for me - I love history and and it may sound 'sad' now to say but I hated crowds and loud parties - wanted to see the 'real' place - so it's difficult to say.

Give us a clue and we'll help all we can

:D
I suppose she loves the beach and shopping and food. I love the history part which i feel at her age she may not appreciate.
Hi futurebride,

If she likes shopping, the beach etc then eventhough I wasn't as struck becasue I like quiet and quaint then if I were you I'd try Lido de Jesolo - but pick a good hotel on the beach.

Lido is purpose built and has thousands of shops to stroll through. You have Venice nearby as well and I think you can do day trips up to Lake Garda. Lido is a beach resort - its not exactly the real Italy but it may be best.

Shopping wise though - if you go the chance to do some time in Rome you'd have a superb shopping time! Some travel agents offer 3 days in Rome and a few days in Sorrento so it may be a good mix?

Sorry I can't be of more help

:D
thanks fo rthat and will keep it in mind for future reference.
We have decided to go to Rome mid August just the two adults. So now researching some good hotels and back street restaurants for the real Italian food! So i have been informed?

Any suggestions?
Hi

Can anyone tell me approx price to do a trip from Sorrento to Rome? also how much to visit the colluseum?

Plus we are going for 1 wk 1/2 board in the Hotel Tourist - does anyone have any reviews on this hotel and approx how much spending money should we take? We are not drinkers as such and just want to do the Roma trip?

Thanks
Vickie
http://sorrentotours.zero81.com/index.asp
http://www.italyheaven.co.uk/sorrento.html

Two useful links which may help you.
You can also fly quite cheaply from Naples to Rome depending on what time of year you are going.
Try http://www.alitalia.com fpr prices and timetables.
You can take the train from Sorrento to Naples easily enough to get to the airport
I know the bus for a day trip leaves at 6am!!!!! from Sorrento

Sorrento is not cheap, but if you are not out drinking every night, then your money will go further.
€8 approx for a visit to the colluseum

Hotel Tourist is situated on main road. Could be a bit noisy, but its very central for shops, cafes etc
Hi Presto, if your still looking at this thread! We have stayed in the Carlton 4 times - its in a great position just out of the centre of town. Been to many places over the years but found few that we like better than Sorrento. Hope you have a great return trip and hope to revisit again soon!
Hi Klofron

Still checking out the link re Sorrento!

Must admit we have thought many many times about going back to the Carlton but we've heard that it has changed hands and decided that sometimes after a gap it is best to leave 'magic' places in the past -----

We saw the Admiral Hotel in the Thomsons brochure and on their web site - it looks perfect for us - we even booked a year ahead to ensure a room.

We LOVE Sorrento - its a special place for us ------ ahhhhhh

Must admit after 3 years in Cyprus we're back in Italy this year too - Lake Garda - another great 'love'. Can't wait to get back to Italy (though we adore Pafos) .................. and even though we have 12 months to go we are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO excited about returning to Sorrento ........................ cue for a song about retuning!

Have you any idea who has bought the Carlton and where the original owners have gone???????????????

:lol:
Hi Presto,

I believe the Hotel has changed hands, as we spoke to some of the staff on our last visit and gathered all was not well. From some information I received after a post or two on here last year, I believe the Chef from the Carlton went to the Hotel Mediteranneo in St Agnello, which is a real shame as the food used to be excellent. Last time we were there, we could see a drop in standards, The head waiter Antonio, who is a top guy, was apologising frequently as he knew things were not as they should be. On our last visit in 2003, we went in August. We had always been in May previously and found the Carlton and Sorrento a nicer place in May. When we go again, I think we would still consider the Carlton as it is in such a great central location, although I understand your comments about not going back etc. We have made some good friends amongst the local shopkeepers and bars and its nice to go back to see them. Despite trying hard, I've yet to find a place I like better than Sorrento!
Many thanks for that.

We remember Antonio with affection. I hope that all is well there. We had our honeymoon at the Carlton and returned the year after. It has a really special place in our affetcions and I must admit that is one of the reasons we don't want to go back .......... don't want to spoil it!

We adore Sorrento ----------- and Italy. Like we said we're off to Lake Garda this year - 5 and a half weeks and counting .... next year it'sback to Sorrento. Heaven.

:lol:
The Head Waiter Antonio was probably the main reason we returned to the Carlton four times - we regard him as a friend, not just teh head waiter. Next time we go to Sorrento, whether it is in the Carlton or elsewhere, we will definately make a point of seeking him out. He used to take my two teenaged sons playing football when we stayed there and dropped them off at the Hotel afterwards. Hes a great guy with a lovely family. If standards have dropped at The Carlton, he certainly desrves better. We have missed Sorrento the past couple of years - although its great to seen new places, it's also great to know just what to expect from a place and Sorrento never lets us down - una bella citta!
Presto

Just returned from our stay at the Admiral and this time of year you lose the sun by about 4pm. We had a room with balcony at the front and we woke up with the sun shining into our room everyday.
The staff were great and nothing too much trouble, basic hotel but comfortable and friendly. Breakfast could be better.
If you get the chance try the restaurant Bagni Delfini does great seafood
and nice friendly people.
Enjoy your stay.
PS avoid the restaurant with the grotty brown tables the other side of the harbour cant remember the name they have no prices outside over 5 for the smallest glass of coke :cry:
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Thanks for that

Sounds ideal!

We know that it is only 3 star and have been to Italy a number of times so know that their 3 / 4 star are often not a GB 4 star etc!

Dis you have a good view? We just want a small hotel, with a lovely view, by the sea, real Italien food and a nice staff? Quiet as well

Is this about it????????????????????

:lol: Us Prestos
Hi

We are going to Grand Hotel Capodimonte soon and was wondering if anyone knew anything about the bars in Sorrento. After our meal we like to have a walk in the evening and stop for a drink somewhere.

Any ideas.

Sue
You'll have plenty of choices as there are bars and pavement cafes all around. The main street, Corso Italia has bars along both sides, then behind the main street in an area known as the drains (long alleyways), there are loads to choose from. If you want a stunning picture with wonderful scenery, make your way to The Foreigners Club and have a drink on the balcony. It looks over the bay of Naples with the backdrop of Mount Vesuvius. Wonderful!!!!
Just back from a 5 day stay in Sorrento in the Grand Vesuvio, a little out of the centre but with frequent free courtesy coach and one of the nicest pools I've come across in ages. For the full Amalfi coast experience I would heartily recommend avoiding the coach Tours and get 4 or 6 together to hire a Taxi for the day. We got a super guy called Aldo who has his own website http://www.aldotaxi.net. Its really the nicest way to do it. For really great food try Il Buco in Sorrento Centre for a special occasion. This trip has restored my faith in Italy which was being sorely tested.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.