Italy, Rivieras and Islands Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Italy, Rivieras and Islands.
I think you underestimate the road distance from Naples to Sorrento! As the crow flies it's OK but with all the Amalfi coast wiggles....

You will probably have to take a train from Naples to Sorrento (or a train to somewhere inland and then a connecting bus service). Try the Italian State Railways website or Sorrento's Tourist Office website for information - you can always contact them by email in English ... and should get a reply in English too! Good luck.
Hi Claudia,
There is a bus that goes from Naples airport to the centre of Sorrento. It is a small mini-bus from right outside the terminal building, sorry can't remember what it's called. I think it's about 5 euros to Sorrento, make sure you have change as they rarely have any on the bus. They speak English at the tourist information desk inside the airport if you get stuck. Otherwise you can get a private taxi from the rank outside, that costs about 50 euros to Vico Equense, the town before Sorrento, so will be a bit more. Never acept the first price they give you, they will always drop the price if you walk away.

Don't even think about getting the train, you have to get a bus to the train station which is in a dodgy part of town, and it will take forever. The bus is very safe, and mainly used by tourists.
Can fully endorse the above comment. Here's a few links that will help you.

This is the bus company that run from right outside the terminal at the airport. Approx 1 hour to Sorrento, dropping you right nithe centre for around six Euros.
http://www.curreriviaggi.it/pagine/agenzia_viaggi.htm

General travel guide (click on transportations
http://www.sorrentotour.it/

You could also get the bus that runs every 20 minutes to the trainstation and then the port area to get a boat across to Sorrento, but it's hassle you don't need to be honest.

We travel to Sorrento independently every summer and have no problems. But would advise you to steer clear of Naples unless you are familiar.

The weather is very warm as you would expect in the high summer months. May, early June and September are fine.

Hope this helps
Thanks alot !! All information is greatly appreciated!!
Hi Claudia, the train from Napoli takes about 1hr 30 mins to Sorrento, and in principle it is quite a nice journey which takes you right in to the heart of town, however, I have to agree that Napoli is a very dodgy place to go to, and the station itself is very big and quite intimidating to be on, the boat option could be quite good as it goes from Napoli right across the bay and only takes about 30 minutes or so, but it lands you at Marina Piccolo which is at the bottom of a very steep and windey hill, so from hear you could either catch a bus or a taxi, but whichever way you get there please be carefull in and around Napoli.

Regards
Sliema2
my wife has a notion for sorrento in sept/oct but i have heard its expensive when you are there is this so annd whats the weather like at that time of year any help welcome thanks..........garry
We did an Archers Coach tour to the Rome and Sorrento region at the end of Sept/beginning of October and the weather, apart from one day in Rome, which was also the day of the National Power cut :evil: when it bucketed down and nobody could do anything or go anywhere, the weather was beautiful, esp in Sorrento and Capri.Staying there does seem expensive, package holidays don't come much cheaper than £500 a week, mostly half board, but I would try some of the usual websites to get a hotel and perhaps stay B&B.Eating out wise, there is good food to be had at different price ranges.The best restaurant we tried was La Fenice, very large and varied menu and great food!
Sorrento and Capri are on my list to re-visit in any case! Good luck!
Go, go, go!!!

Sorrento is not cheap, but nor is Italy!

What you get for your money is a chic centre to explore delights such as Mount Vesuvius, Pompeii, Capri, Ischia and the famous The Amalfi Run - all through inexpensive and punctual public transport .

And that's before you spend time in Sorrento itself!

We go for at least one week every year and love it.

Daz
thanks for all the info
............garry............................................
Went to Sorrento last July for a week and had the best holiday ever. It is an absolute beautiful place. Took the local transport everywhere which is dirt cheap. Went to Capri, Naples, Rome, Positano, Amalfi, Pompeii and loads of other places (all in a week). It is fabulous and well worth a visit.

Hotels are usually half board. Sorrento is expensive but what the heck, it was gorgeous and the ice cream is to die for!!!!

Go for it, you will have a brilliant time.
My daughter lives and works in Sorrento. How lucky am I that I will get out a couple of times this summer.
We stayed at the Hotel Michelangelo in July 2003 and were very impressed. It is 2 minutes walk to the main part of Sorrento (unlike many hotels which are further out, some requiring a bus trip to get in) and had a roof terrace with sun loungers; we booked through Portland and got a pretty reasonable rate. We went on a half board basis and found that it was better to have lunch at the hotel and walk into Sorrento for dinner. Eating and drinking can be as expensive as you want it to be, but we found plenty of great ristorantes and pizzerias that were very reasonably priced. If you fancy a posh drink go to the Grand Hotel Excelsior Vittoria for a drink on their verandah overlooking the cliffs. They allow you in if you're dressed appropriately and, although the drinks are expensive, it's worth it for the experience.
Paul.
I would echo what everyone says and that is Go Go Go!!
Sorento was my first Holiday abroad 6 years ago and I still hold that holiday as being my favourite. We are going to Italy for the third time in July this year I absolutely love it. Everyone says Italy is expensive but I found it no more expensive than Majorca......there are plenty of places as Mildo has said to eat as cheaply or as expensively as you wish.
We stayed at the Grand hotel Flora which was ideally situated just a few mins walk from the main square.
We went to Sorrento last Sept for a wedding, we had a great week.. staying a little out of Sorrento in St Agata at a beautiful villa ( Li Galli...under the villa description of Villa ruoppo ) the buses were dirt cheap & took about 20 mins (takes that to get across most big towns here!) and they ran regularly... it was great to have the day in Sorrento then retire to a villa in the middle ...(as in outside the windows in our garden) of a lemon grove..last bus home was about 11.30pm.. The villa cost us 950 euros for the week and the views were breathtaking.. I see that the prices are the same this year although they have added a pool..you can get everything you need in St Agata...the rep & company were excellent, you can chat to them online before going or talk on the phone, they are based in Scotland but are Italian with great english. The flights are sitting at about £270 each with Travelocity from Scotland but maybe cheaper for you. This was a holiday which was different class & we did'nt find it all that expensive to eat ect...if you go enjoy the meloncello....mmm nicer than the lemon..lol
The website for that company is
http://www.holidaysnoproblem.com

They also do villas slightly closer to Sorrento on the same bus route.. in Massalebruense... which also looked gorgeous and will try the next time :lol:
Hi I am flying to Naples on Sunday morning (22nd May) and would really appreciate some help on best forms of transport from the airport to Sorrento. We are staying at the Grand Hotel President, which I understand is on the outskirts of Sorrento itself. Has anyone any knowledge about this hotel ? it sounds pretty good from various reviews but my main concern is how to get there :? I'm bound to get on the wrong bus !!! :oops: Jan
We've just booked a holiday in Sorrento for next year in a hotel on the side of a cliff off the Marina Grande (sp?). We have been to Sorrento before but we are wondering when / if the hotel catches the sun during the day.

We've been frantically trying to work out where the sun came up and set when we were last there - sad we know - but knowing Sorrento we don't want to be in a hotel where we only see the sun at 8 pm!

We've booked the Admiral that is right below the Bristol - well sort of - on the Marina Grande - facing Vesuvio

A year to go and already excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks folks
The sun rises from the east obviously which, if you stand at any of the view points in the middle of Sorrento looking across the bay of Naples beyond Naples, will roughly be behind you. The Marina Grande does not catch the full sun early in the morning but you will get brilliant sunsets! If you go in mid summer, the sun is very high anyway so you will get some sun wherever you are (unlees you are looking at a rock face like at the back of some hotels. :arrow: :lol:
Thanks Klofron, that was quick! :lol:

The hotel we've booked is right on the cliff face facing the sea - like the beacg platforms. We have a sea view balcony as well. Judging by past photos the sun will come up behind us and be over us mid day. By the end of the day it will be .... perfect!

Haven't been to Sorrento since our honeymoon - we stayed at a superb hotel then - The Carlton - and think we have have finally found a perfect 'swap' for us 11 yrs on .................

Can't wait!

Us Prestos
I fancy a holiday in Italy and was thinking of sorrento. Can anyone recomend any hotels, teenage firendly where it has a mixture of great food, plenty to do yet not to busy and friendly people?

Would like to go to Rome as well not sure if it is easy to get to from Sorrento. If anyone can recommend anywhere else I would also be interested.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.