Africa/Middle East Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Africa/Middle East inc.Dubai
We were in Cape Town a year ago and I took about £ 500.00 in rand for spending , but any meals etc I paid for with either my credit card or debit card.

We found Cape Town very cheap average meal out with 2 bottles of wine was about £ 40.00 I must admit we didnt go to the very fancy restaurants , but the ones we used were fantastic for steaks etc. My favourite was called Nelsons Eye , I also like Hussars. We did try Balthzars biggest wine list in the world this was in V & A waterfront food was very nice but cost was almost double what we had paid else where

We had a hire car |I booked that in UK with Airline Network which was a fully inclusive rate and at a very good price.

We visted Robin Island - excellent
Cape of Good Hope nice drive saw wild baboon in middle of road
Cape Agulhas - very long drive
Bolder Beach - with all the penguins
Stellenbosch - I liked Spier Wine Estate with the baby cheetahs
We flew to Port Elizabeth and went To Addo ( Elephants) and Scotia
We also drove to Hermanus and stayed a couple of days very nice drive and a very nice town

Basically in the Cape Town Area you can get to some lovely beaches in about 20mins driving.

I enjoyed Camps Bay sand was perfect but sea was so cold.

I found Cape Town a very casual dressed city shorts etc in day and jeans nice top evening

These are just my personal opinions but I love visiting Cape Town . I have just booked to go at Christmas

First time we went was Easter 2006 for a wedding in Stellenbosch weather was fantastic

Then Christmas 2007

and Christmas 2009

Any questions just ask
Thanks for all the advice we will take that on board.
And will post again if need any more help :cheers
I am off there in April. Thanks for the info and John- will be looking out for what you think of Cape Town :)
went to s/a in january.would suggest you take rand with you.i changed sterling for 15.30 in nov,anything around that rate will ensure that you get very good value for your money.cape town has many good places to eat,especially on the v&a waterfront.try baldinis service and food excellent.avoid salt rest(fantastic views but food did not live up to expectations).camps bay gets rave reviews but had two so so meals there,one was called the codfather.
suggest you take the big bus tour and get off and on wherever you like.obviously you must go up table mountain,book the tickets in advance ,it will save you queing.taxis are quite cheap,but make sure you get one with a taxi sign on top and make sure they have a meter,or agree a price in advance.let me know if you require any other info
regards cabman
We have a few things booked. Robben Island, Winelands day tour, looking at a township tour and also hiring a car for a couple of days- perhaps to explore the Winelands a bit further. Looking forward to it :) The bus sounds like a good idea for within Cape Town. :)
Just not altogether too sure what I need to pack. Seems to be pleasant during the day but looks like its jackets perhaps for evening? We arrive on the 4th April.
Thanks for the advice!
Just Returned had a fanatastic holiday,Weather was good, couple of overcast days but still in the low 20c. Recommend the Ferrymans in V&A and Krugmans to eat.
Point to note if you take the open top bus you get free starters at Krugmans on production of open top bus ticket BARGAIN!!!
We are going to a wedding in the Kruger National Park and then flying to Cape Town end of June but arrive about 9.00pm Saturday night and leave Tuesday evening so a very short time, what are the must do's, we are staying on the Victoria & Albert Waterfront does anyone know what time places to eat and drink close
Thanks
glad you enjoyed it John- we are off tomorrow :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.