Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Papa we have been regulars to north Goa (staying at the M/D)and last year we finally got around to visiting the south (Cavessolim) As we go for 3 wks we decided to spend 3 days of our middle week there.It was great and so much fun discovering new beaches, restaurants shacks ect. We enjoyed it so much that when we return to the M/D in Feb we will be spending our middle week down south, and will do a bit more discovering and as it was IMO a bit quieter on the roads may even book a scooter. :yikes So my advice would be give it a try as I dont think you will be disappointed, and I am pretty sure all the southern regulars will chip in with recomendations of places to try....Keith
Papa, we have had four holidays down the south of Goa (all at the same hotel) and we really love it.

The beach where we stay is whiter (the sand doesn't have that funny smell or stain your clothing that you get with the sand up north).

When we first arrived (3rd December), there was a little bit of rubbish on the beach, however, it disappeared overnight and we never saw any more during the rest of our stay.

There are a lot of beach shacks, but not as many as the north. There is plenty of room to turn your sunbed around. The prices in the shack we used had gone up but so had other shack prices (partly to compensate for the lack of holidaymakers).

Until our last holiday (December 2007) we were never pestered by beach sellers, but we were the last time. We put that down to the lack of holiday makers.

To us the downside is that there is not the selection of restaurants as you get up north, however, where we stay there are several near the hotel and we take a taxi to another of our favourites.

I would say that due to there not being that much competition eating out can be a bit dearer than if we ate out in a restaurant up north. Having said that, I wouldn't say that it is considerably dearer than the north. The most expensive restaurant we have been to is Martin's Corner, but as our last experience there wasn't that brilliant, we haven't been there for a while.

Overall, we would say our holidays down south are more quieter and more chilled than if we stayed up north.

Another thing we like is that once we are out of the airport and in our taxi we are at our hotel within 20/25 minutes.

Sheila.
Hello Papa!
I have stayed at Utorda beach,Varca,Cavelossim and last month Colva, which is the busiest of the four, and also the one with the most domestic tourists so has a real Indian feel.
Utorda and Varca are are the quietest areas,and you are very dependant on taxis. Cavelossim is a favorite for the British, Europeans and a growing number of Russians. There are lots of shacks and restaurants within walking distance, but I found that the prices were considerably higher than Colva.
One very good thing about the south is the long streach of white sand from Arossim in the north,down to Cavelossim in the south just miles of beaches waiting to be discovered.
IMO Colva is a good base despite it's "shabby chic" in other words, parts can be a bit grubby!,the main beach is busy with domestic tourists para-sailing and going on boat trips, but walk a couple of hundred meters in either direction you will find lovely quiet areas with good shacks.
x lassi
Hi Papa,we also love the south and would spend the whole holiday there ,but
as we have made so many friends in the north we try and split the holiday,for
your first time i would suggest that,you can then decide which resort is for you.
Have stayed at Benaulim and Cavellosim and visited Colva but our favorite has
got to be Cavellosim,we have bought into the Royal Goan so always have good
accomodation staying at the Hatthi Mahal or Royal Goan Beach Club, :cheers
ann
Fantastic.

Thanks for all the reccomendations it has certainly given me much to think about.

Regards

Papa
All you south lovers should beware,in the 20 or so years I've been going to Goa it's changed out of all recognition. The north used to be like what the south is now, and what did we do? we started telling people about this magical place we'd found, and gradually the word got around , but the new people that came, started looking for different things, full English breakfasts, footy pubs, Bacardi Breezers, Irish pubs, and so on, and the old magic Goa was gone. Now you are telling everyone how magical the south is, so down they will all come, and soon they'll want, yes, English breakfasts, footy pubs, Bacardi Breezers, Irish pubs, etc. and then all you south lovers will have to move on to Cambodia, or somewhere else out east, to join the other refugees from that old, long gone, magical place, that once was Goa. Be warned !! Alan
Good point gramps, I have often thought it would be best to keep my mouth shut. But on reading the posts it seems not many Northern fans actually make the change . Except for a few days at Palolem , so hopefuly we are safe for the moment
x lassi
I fear it will be impossible to stop change.

Regards

Papa
Papa , you are right , I am a northerner now but having had a taste of the south (utorda, Palolem) I am tempted :think
For me it will be about a bit of peace.The beaches like they used to be.Service the way it used to be.Less Taxis etc etc.I have some interesting research to do being a diehard North Goa fan for years.

Regards

Papa
The south has changed loads in the last few years, and not for the better. Gramps is right, its only a matter of time, and thats fast running out. Goa was ruined when the charters started.
South Goa is absolutely awfull, so boring, too quiet, not the real Goa or India and a very different type of tourist goes there, just those who like to stay in a 5 star hotel and never leave their complex........nobody who has never been South yet should even consider going ;)
I think that you should all stay up in the north , I just know you'd HATE it in the South, but don't worry about the south coz I'll keep on going there and will put up with no English breakfasts , Irish pubs , etc etc . It might well be a hardship for my wife and I ( i don't think so !!!! :rofl , ).-- see how considerate we are. So now you can see it's not as nice as the Nth ----- it's our little bit of heaven. :cheers :tup :D
Tightjock /johnsq 22 We agree with you entirely it is a shame we have to suffer in
the South every year :sun2 Pat and Andy
My other half and I suffer the south each year because, quite frankly, someone has to. It is too quiet, too few shacks, too few restaurants and the beach where we go is too empty. :rofl ;)
Oh I concur, absolutely. The South is dreadful, beach is awful, and the food..... :yikes
I detect a plot from all you south lovers.

Papa
Good. I always knew I didnt fancy the South. Sounds boring and rubbish. I will stick with the North!
Yes, stick to the North, I've only been to Goa twice, the 1st time to the South & I hated it so much that I thought I'd better book again to try & save anyone else from suffering like me - quiet beaches, nice restaurants, low prices, polite friendly service & no hassle - I'm sure you get the picture as to how bad it is, PLEASE don't put yourselves through it. . . . . ;)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.