Tunisia Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tunisia.
hi im am just back from tunisia and stayed 5 mins from soviva, i stayed at soviva last year and not only was it terrible then it has further went down hill. everyone i met that i told i had stayed at soviva year previous all they said was about how bad it was and how it has very bad repuation. right now there was also building works going on prob be finished by xmas tho. if you like clubbing you make like to know that the biggest club in the area is in soviva called privelledge. i was very ill when stayed last year was in bed for 3 days and with no exaggeration at all most people we came across had also been ill. pool area was good size, entertainment was rubbish 2 drinks max each time from any of the bars and the all inclusive tap water tasted like clorine. i stayed at abou sofiane for two weeks arrived back last wed and it was great and i would def go back.
We're flying out to Soviva on 26th July - can any one tell me what the position is regarding sunbeds for kids? I read that under 16's aren't allowed sunbeds? What do they do then? Also, can anyone tell me if you can get 4 to a room? When we booked we asked for a room that would sleep the 4 kids and Thomas Cook said that was fine, but the hotel details say that the rooms sleep upto 3, so was wondering about a fourth child? Any info would be great!
This hotel is on Direct Holidays for £720 for a week AI for 2 people in May. Good prices but Im giving it a miss!
Can you visist this hotels pool even if you aren't a guest?
Visiting here for 2 weeks in mid sept - have heard mxd reviews but hey wer'e all different and it takes you and people you travel with to make a holiday. we paid just over £1000 for 2 weeks AI for the 2 of us.
we went to the dom rep 3 years ago and got scared of the hotel reviews we heard ....... yet that hotel is now one of the most expensive to visit... I rest my case.
You've got exactly the right attitude Hollyhock. I stayed at the Soviva (not Golden Soviva) some years ago when all the horror stories were at their height and had a very enjoyable stay. My only gripe was that it was rather a long way out from the Marina but walking is good for you and taxis are cheap. :roll:
Welcome to HT hollyhock :tup

I think you will enjoy it hollyhock, you are going with an open mind and are not being swayed by reviews good or bad, I am sure you will like PEK and Tunisia.

Graham
Of to Soviva in july, Couple of things really. First of all seen the reviews and a holiday is what you make it and you get what you pay for. Right going all inclusive and my wifes tipple is Malibu , will i be able to get anything like it. And hopefully we will still be in the world cup then , wishfull thinking. Will there be anywhere to watch it. Heres hoping.
The one question I can certainly answer is about the football. All Tunisians are football mad and I'm pretty certain the matches will be shown on TV in the hotel. Failing that you can always go down to one of the bars, particularly the Golf Brau near the Golf Residence, where they will certainly be shown. Some years ago I had an apartment in Sousse and couldn't walk through the streets without being followed by cries of "David Beckham" :rofl

I rather doubt your wife will find Malibu but my favourite tipple in Tunisia is Cedratine, a lemon-based liqueur which she may like to try. I can't stand Boukha or Thibarine, which are based on figs or dates, I can't remember which. My favourite wine is Magon, a very nice red though some of their white wines can be a little vinegary for my taste.
There is a sports bar in the hotel - but from memory it isn't part of the all inclusive so you'll have to buy your drinks. Malibu isn't part of the all inclusive drinks, but would imagine you'd be able to pick some up cheaply from one of the supermarkets across the road and keep it in your room. You are right - the holiday is what you make of it. I can understand the poor reviews, but we enjoyed ourselves - you get what you pay for when abroad.
Claire_bartlett65 wrote:
Hi - we are booked to go to Soviva Resort in 6 weeks time - don't worry - I've read all the reviews and know we are taking our chances! Could anybody tell me if they have a launderette there please, as I can't see one mentioned in any of the details. I would also appreciate if anyone could tell me about the room sizes - when we booked, the travel agent said we would be able to get the four kids in one room, with myself and my partner next door, but reading all the details regarding the rooms, it looks more like it would be a maximum of 3 in a room?

Also, on a more general note, what is the preferred currency in Tunisia? I know they use the Tunisian Dinar, but from past experience, some countries actually prefer other currency than their own.

Thanks for any feedback.

Claire

Hi Claire
We are probably going just as you come back!!
I chose Soviva because of all the hotels in the area within that price band it had the best reviews on another site!! (recent reviews have been good)
I hope you have a good time, go with an open mind and it should be fine, I'm sure. Please give me any hints and tips when you return. Cheers
Lisa
Hi Claire, I've only just noticed your query regarding currency and their preferred currency is certainly their own dinars. You can give sterling as a tip if necessary but the locals have difficulty in getting it changed. In theory you can't get dinars outside the country, though I know one of the Bureaux de Change at Stansted will give it to you (at a very bad rate), but you can change money easily in Tunisia and the rate is the same everywhere.
Hope you have all seen " The Secret Tourist" shown this evening on BBC1. They featured the Soviva Resort and their findings do not inspire confidence. Good luck if you have booked for there!

Dorra
I missed it Dorra but I'll see if I can find it on IPlayer. I stayed at the Soviva in 2003, just after there had been a lot of bad publicity about the whole Soviva Resort but I honestly didn't had any problems. The only reason I haven't been back since is that I do prefer Sousse or, if in PEK, I like to be a lot nearer the Marina. At that time there were two hotels, the Soviva and Golden Soviva, the latter being A/I.
It's really not as bad as the secret tourist made it out 2 be......
That show was on whilst I was out there. I'd go back.
have done 2 weeks all inclusive in the Golden 2008ish and had no problems it is @ the end of the day what you make of the resort yes the carpets were tied in the corridor (applies to floor i was on) and lighting very sparce in corridors also but food was fine and pool brilliant.

Forgot travel kettle so maid loaned me one FREE was also there convalescing from leg operation and manager ran me to his own doctor to have some stiches removed (the boat guy dipped me in water whilst paragliding so they were sodden and shrank)

note though i stayed off season and water slide was only available for about an hour a day (but one tsunami a day is enough for anyone :whoops)

food was fine as were the glasses and beer wine and spirits
Hi
looking at Tunisia for a break on the 1st oct, hotel Soviva is giving a good price , but any new info on this hotel.
finally found it on a map and looks like there is another big complex between it and the beach, does it have its own private area with beach bar ??
any info would be good thanks JO :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.