Spain - Costa Blanca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Blanca.
Hi Chivas, We drink vodka and Spanish or Smirnoff its always been poured the same way. :D
Don't be fooled by Spanish measures they are not much different from Brittish (well Scottish measures). You get a tall narrow glass with 3 lumps of ice with the spirit just over the second lump if your lucky. Then they give you a soft drinks bottle, this bottke holds 200ml. It does me two drinks in Spain, a can at home in the pub (scotland 35ml measure of spirit) does me three drinks. So roughly 100ml of soft drink per spirit measure at home of in Spain, therefore no difference! Ask for your drink without ice and see what you get. If you are really keen take an empty minature of spirits and pour your drink into it and see what you get.

Must admit though had a Drambuie in Lanzarote in a large wide glass with ice and thought the measure was very generous.
I once had a blue lagoon in ibiza and it came in what looked like a fruit bowl. My wifes cocktail came and it was in a wine glass! :D
It was off one of those spinning things where you had whatever drink it landed on!
I swear I'd hardly had anything else to drink and I was legless! :)
Spanish measures they are not much different from Brittish (well Scottish measures). You get a tall narrow glass with 3 lumps of ice with the spirit just over the second lump if your lucky

It depends where you go and if you ask for only one ice cube.
Sometimes my hubby has no ice and the cold tonic will chill the gin....that's when he has a bottle of tonic of course, which he prefers, as one bottle of tonic will mix two gins...depending on how strong you want the drink.
Ask for your drink without ice and see what you get

Far more than the UK, that's for sure. :wink:
Like I say, it depends where you go, the tightest measures are the British bars IMO, that's probably why we don't go in them. :wink:
Funny how my hubby gets legless on holiday, but drinking the same at home, he is as sober as a judge.

Sanjiiiiiiiiiiiii
It must be something in the sea air! :)
It must be something in the sea air!

I'll let you know tomorrow Chivas :lol:

Sanjiiii
I never have ice in my drinks and sometimes the measure is half a tall glass, but then that may be down to the tipping we normally give. Anyway Sanji have a lovely holiday.v At least your weather looks better than we had. No doubt you will let us know how it all goes. Karen
don;t be foolish you get more than back home.depends which bars you go in.i took my parents for a 3 day break in feb.my mum only had one drink and was pi..ed mine you she does not drink much anyway,
you get a dam site more in spain than in a uk pub..ie more like 3/4 times in one go.so dont think you can drink say 6 shorts in uk and do the same in spain,you will soon know when you have had enough.( bed/sick ect).normal then for some people?
. Anyway Sanji have a lovely holiday.v At least your weather looks better than we had. No doubt you will let us know how it all goes. Karen

Thanks Karen hun
Ummm, I might just have the camcorder in action on Monday when the workers start back.
I'm sat here and I haven't even started packing yet.....it's not one of my favourite hobbies, but I can't put it off any longer.
so dont think you can drink say 6 shorts in uk and do the same in spain,you will soon know when you have had enough

Totally agree, but that is the problem isn't it ?, by the time it hits you, you're too far gone to realise.
Wish I had a pound for every time I've laced into my hubby trying to tell him that he's had enough and he comes out with the cr@p that the tonic dilutes it down.
Yeh, but it's diluting down 3 times more gin that you get in a measure at home. :roll: and who has a sore head in the morning with a face like the back end of a bus.? :roll:
I bet I sound like an old misery guts, but talk about walking on egg shells :zip

Sanjiiiiiiiiiiii
Have a good trip Sanji, drink a couple for me! :glynis
so DJWoody, do the high measures apply to the good stuff?
Cus when you think about it 5 euros for a jack and coke is good if you're getting at least a tripple! :)
Sanji, if he's that pi**ed just get him the tonic, he'll never know! :D
on all drinks you buy.
but the biggest of them will be the one you give yourself in your room
I drink Spanish Brandy NEVER WITH ICE and trust me the measures are at least 3 or 4 times the amount i get back in the UK...well apart from the ones I get in my local Italian Restaurant..but I do tip well there!! :wink:

Best Regards - Taggy :)
Sometimes the measures are far more generous than at home, but "happy hour" can be a rip off!! I've had Bacardi &Cokes and I swear it was all coke or had very diluted Bacardi in it. Sometimes it is better to avoid happy hour and pay a little more but at least you are having the real stuff????
Yasiou

They should advertise it but a lot of happy hours are with local spirits (Jim Bean instead of Jack Daniels for example)

Either way, its still half the price that you'd get screwed sideways for at home!
Sometimes it is better to avoid happy hour and pay a little more but at least you are having the real stuff
I quite aree Yasiou
I find this an interesting topic as I used to work in a bar and I'm always aware of prices, measures etc. You definitely get larger measures (ice or not).I find that in the Spanish bars they give more generous measures as you become a 'regular customer'
I do think holiday bar prices are getting nearer to ours nowadays, but Benidorm is definitely cheaper than Majorca and the other Costas. It is just the larger measures that compensate. I do realise that beer is cheaper on holiday(but I dont drink beer!).
We all know that drinks in the cabaret bars are more expensive but we do get free entertainment (which we pay for in our local Clubs)
Regards Sue
cheers everyone,
As nice as Jim Beam is (got some right now infact, Jim Beam Black) I'd be able to tell it wasn't jack Daniels if they tried that on me!
As nice as Jim Beam is (got some right now infact, Jim Beam Black) I'd be able to tell it wasn't jack Daniels if they tried that on me!

Ah, someone after my own heart! You know, in the Barrel, I once found Jim Bean to be more expensive than Jack!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.