Germany, Benelux and Northern Europe Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Germany, Benelux and Northern Europe.
St Petersburg
6 Posts
Hi James,
I've never been to St Petersburg or Russia for that matter, but listening to Mo Dutta's Radio 2 show last weekend, Simon Calder, the Independent's travel editor said he was going on a Baltic cruise this week, and one of the places he will visit will be St Petersburg. Hopefully he will write up a piece for the paper, and talk to Mo Dutta about it this weekend. Only downside is, you'll need to get up early to listen to Mo's show. :D
hi..james...........the winter palace has got to be on the top of your list to see .then a slow stroll though the streets.magic..........
regards...................john-doe............
Palace square, St Peter & Paul fortress, Nevski Prospect and generally walk the streets and absorb the atmosphere.

The Hermitage would take a month to walk round but has some fantastic exhibits.

Patka
In addition to the other great ideas:

- A boat trip around the canals - you'll be able to see a lot of St Petersburg in a short time

- The Kunstkammer Museum - not far from the Peter and Paul Fortress and full of oddities

- St Isaac's Cathedral - fantastic view from the top - if you can brave the stairs

If you are going to go to the Hermitage then get a map when you get in and just pick out the areas you have the most interest in. The Egyptian section is particularly good. It's easy to get lost though - I always end up on the corridor with the dead pheasant pictures despite trying to avoid it!

If you aren't staying right in the centre then remember to allow plenty of time to get the metro in and out.

Have a great time!
Well I have now been and it is a great place to see,

will post a link for photos later
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.