America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
Best thing to do would be contact the places you want to go (bars/lounges/clubs) beforehand and get yourself on the guest list and clear it with them - just to guarantee entry. You will all need photo id - even Borat, so make sure every single one of you has it - they are super strict on this and WILL NOT let anyone in without valid photo id (this applies to the better lounges and clubs, not the older bars etc). I've seen a woman get turned away from the Pussycat Dolls lounge because she didn't have ID and I swear she was over 50 years old!

TC
Cheers TC. This is a great tip, even if borat wont have any pockeks.
:thanks
I can concurr with that I am 51 and had to show my passport in a bar in Atlanta airport, we decided to have a drink whilst waiting for our flight to Vegas and the waiter would not serve me unless I showed him my passport, I thought he was joking but he was'nt. Very flattering though at my age to be asked for ID!!!

Polly
There is a common misconception when "older" people are asked for ID in the US. Contrary to popular belief (and this is not intended as an insult towards you, Maxnpolly!), it has nothing to do with how old/young the person looks. I believe the law requires that you be able to PROVE your age when it comes to buying alcohol.

Let's say you don't have any ID on you and you a bar serves you a drink without asking for ID. If they are caught they will get into trouble, not because they served somebody who is underage but because they served somebody who couldn't PROVE their age when buying alcohol.

That's why many restaurants have a policy of asking for ID from everyone who is buying alcohol, regardless of how old they look.
I have to say, we started going to Vegas when we were 25, and I have only a few times I think been ID'd. I know it's been getting tougher lately, and we were id'd in Chicago Airport this year. They did have a sign up saying they ID everyone - including the stunned 70-odd year old at the bar we saw!

I've not noticed it so much elsewhere. We're 33 now, and I don't suppose we look under 21 anyway!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.