Greece - Crete Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Crete.
Try the katerina it's about the best in Stalis and the prices are very favourable George and his wife Irania who
own it are really lovely people soon as you get to know them you'll find a few free drinks finding there way to
your table and if you ask in advance they'll cook you things off the menu.
Rick.
Stalis has loads of really nice restaurants, with great atmosphere and great food (assuming you like Greek food!)
I don't think there's a tremendous amount of difference in prices, though obviously some are more expensive/cheaper than others.
If having a variety of nice (Greek) restaurants is an important thing for you on holiday, then believe me, you have definately chosen the right resort. :cheers

PS It also has a very nice beach :sun2
Thanks rigler. Can't wait. We definitely go to Greece for the Greek food. None of this Mcdonald's nonsense or chips with everything for us. Favourites of ours are Stiffado, Kleftico , souvlaki, Greek salad (love feta and olives) and of course Raki, Ouzo and Metaxa. We're hoping to try some different Greek dishes this year also.
Just got back yesterday and there is not much of a difference in restaurant prices. Food and drink very reasonable. My favourite restaurants were Artemis and Amici. I tried Jannis Golden Heart as it had been recommended but i did not enjoy at all, but i always think food is down to personal taste! Have a great holiday we did.
Thanks Smilee,
Glad you had a good holiday. Also glad to hear the food prices weren't too bad. This forum's been very quiet so far this summer, so your feedback has come just in time as we leave on Saturday. Thanks again.
Hi shirley

Hope you have a great holiday.
You will find many restaurants on the road that runs between malia and stalis parallel with the sea front. Just turn right out the socrates and walk down the lane til you reach the said road. you can then either turn right ( towards malia ) of left (towards stalis ). Either way you will find several places to eat.
We tried several places all nice , but have to admit our favourite was about 5 minutes along the seafront road towards Stalis. Its on the left hand side of the road immediately after the side road on the left where the happy train booking office and pickup point is.
Its called Angelos. Nice food and relaxed atmosphere. We got to know both Angelos and his wife Olga on the 3 times we have stayed at socrates and keep in contact by sending each other xmas cards.
Hope you find Socrates as enjoyable as we do. We hope to return again soon.

Regards

Steve
HI Steve,
thanks for your post. It's nice to hear from someone who's stayed at the socrates. We're really excited now as we fly on Sunday morning. You've answered our query about the Happy Train too :)

ONe question, when did you stay at the socrates and can you remember how much the air conditioning was? We've heard that it's expensive. Cheers!
Stayed at socrates sept'05, jul'06 & sept'07.
Think aircon was about 120 euros for fortnight which we thought was a little on the dear side so we managed without each time - Just !!! . Saying that we have just spent 2 weeks in Lardos , Rhodes and they wanted 60 euros for the week/100 euros for the fortnight in accommodation that was nowhere as good as socrates, so perhaps socrates aircon isn't so bad when you compare what some other places are asking .
We just got back from Stalis yesterday and would like to thank the poster who recommended Katrinas.

All of the restaurants we tried were of high quality but I have to say I thought some of the ones right on the beach were slightly overpriced and the food not so tasty. Katrinas, while not having a "view" served the nicest Greek food plus the prices were reasonable, and George and his family were so friendly - there was that extra service as it was a family run business.

Another restaurant we would recommend was the "Cretan Corner" which is on the left just opposite Artemus - we enjoyed several lunches at Artemus but didnt have an evening meal there, but the food was very good.

Was pleased to see that we didnt have to look very hard for traditional Greek restaurants and food, you were tripping over them!!!
taking notes of all these places as we fly on the 19th. first time to stalis so im lost, please keep adding

thanks
Hi Si-uk. Just got back from Stalis today so if there's any up to date info you require, just ask. Where are you staying? We thought Stalis was just up our street and had a fab time. Enjoy!!
we are staying at the paradise apartments,all info on places to eat etc will be welcome, we fly on tue 19th, only 2 days to go
Hi Si-uk. Can't say I saw the Paradise apartments. I think you'll have a good meal wherever you go. We ate out every evening and didn't have a bad meal. We only went back to the same place once as there were so many restaurants to choose from. The name of one of our favourites was something like Capricciosi and it was almost at the bottom end of Stalis (not the Malia end). It started out as a Pizza restaurant but the menu has expanded considerably. One meal I can recommend there is lamb on the spit - beautiful!!
If you like pork the pork in Crete is much more tender than here in Britain - It was explained to us that it's because the pigs are killed at a younger age.

I recommend you have a meal in Old Malia at least once. We had 2 lovely meals there in San Giorgio's and Elizabeth and Stablos.

Enjoy!!
one of the best restaurants in stalis, is set at the back under some trees, very hidden but well worth searching for. I cant remeber the name of it for the life of me but just look down the back roads for a little taverna under a huge old olive tree.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.