Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
now i have seen a date i will answer on this one..
no through route between the two, sortest journy stansted[nat express] stratford bus depot underground to greenich and walk about 13/4 hr total journy time, other routs will take up to 21/2 hrs

brian
Hi,

Just returned from Brussels after a six day stay. We parked in the pink Elephant long stay car park (cost £44.50 for six days). No problems with twransport form the car parks as there are busses leaving every ten mins or so.

Check in was a doddle far better than Manchester as was the security checks, loads of people on duty so only took around 5 mins to clear. We had lunch in Frankie and Bennys, the food was good and the same price as you would pay on the high street.

We were flying with Ryanair and found procedures at the gate easy, getting to the gate was quite a walk though. The weather was terrible but we still got away on time (loads of fun trying to land at Brussels though!)

Coming back passport control was quick and our bags were waiting on the carousel for us when we got there.

Over all it was a good experience, we travelled outbound at 1500 when it was pretty busy and coming home we landed at 0845 which is one of the busy times, compared to terminal one at Manchester these days it was a breeze so yes I woluld use Stanstead again even though its a long drive.

Rob 8)
Just back from Denmark and Stansted was a doddle, especially as I only had hand baggage which they didn't bother to weigh. When queuing to go through security some of us, including me, were suddenly divererted through another part and just whisked through with the most cursory of checks and a big smile. Esbjerg on the way back was a different matter - I was ordered to put my hand baggage on the scales (no problem luckilly) and we even had to take our belts and shoes off and put them through the scanner and no-one even smiled. :roll:
hold on a minute guys, the media and usual snipers aren't gonna like you for saying such nice things about a british airport especially one run by a monopoly that apparently doesn't care about its customers and is only interested in creating "shopping malls" within our airports.

Security checks that were properly manned and even SMILING???? :shock: surely these can't be the same people that the tabloids insist "would be more fit to be flipping a burger" (i think i know who the t0$$*rs are) :wink: food being sold at the same price you would expect on the high street :shock:

is the media exagerating? or are people just being truthful at what they find, of course there is good and bad experiences but its nice to hear from a couple of posters that its not all doom and gloom :D
I always tell it like it is Andy. One niggle, which was nothing to do with Stansted, was that my Ryanair flight which was listed as 11.25 on the paperwork I had, had been re-scheduled for 11 a.m. and no-one seemed to have been informed either by e-mail or any other means, which could have resulted in people missing it.
Hi,

I'm new to these boards :lol:

Does anyone know the most cost effective means of travel from Gatwick to Stansted airport for June 2008? We will be a group of 4 adults and 5 kids, never had to make this particular journey before.

Any help gratefully appreciated.
National Express operates a coach service between Gatwick and Stansted (also stops at Heathrow I think).

Also you can get the Gatwick Express into London - cross London to Liverpool Street Station and get the Stansted Express to the airport.

I would imagine that the coach would be cheaper but this might depend on whether you have any family rail/coach discount cards.

Pippa
Thanks Pippa ;) I had looked at the National Express website earlier and its going to be £187 for all 9 of us to travel from Gatwick to Stansted :shock:

Think we may be cheaper hiring a 12 seater van, hopefully room for us and our luggage (we're on route to Costa de la Luz).

Cheers :)
Hi Everyone, I am going from Stansted in April, first time. We normally go through Gatwick or if we are lucky Bournemouth or Southampton. I was just wondering would it take any longer to get to Stansted than Gatwick? We live near Portsmouth. Thanks for any help.
in a word YES depending on the day ..[within the speed limits] i can do pompy to LGW in about 11/2 hrs.. pompy to Bedford [not quite as far as stanstead] will take a min of 21/2 hrs nearer 31/2 hrs... i am a professional driver and know both routes like the back of my hand

wizard
yer, i think the major thing on our side is the fact that we are flying at 6:15 am on a Friday morning, we will be leaving Portsmouth at about 1am.
sure is but remember to keep a check on the road reports [bbc ceefax] for road works and accidents that streach of the m25 hardly ever seems free of one or the other

wizard
Have booked a cheap day out to Cork costing £4.04 for 2 of us.

We want the cheapest parking for one day at Stansted - anyone any suggestions - on BAA site it is £9.30 at the mid stay.

Pippa
hi pippa . unfortunately theres not a lot of competition at Stansted so prices tend to be higher than gatwick and I think BAAs online prices are pretty on the mark . but have a look at http://www.holidayextras.com you may find something cheaper ;)
That probably will be the cheapest option - you can turn up at the long stay and pay £8.30 for the day but it is further away.

Roughly how long does it take now to get through security at somewhere between 5am and 5.30 am? We will check in online as we have no luggage but from previous experience security queues can be quite long at Stansted and also the Ryanair gates can be a fair distance from the departure lounge!

Pippa
Oh Pippa,

Whatever are you doing flying with Ryanair after all you have said about them.

Have a lovely day out they are not that bad.

dave :rofl
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.