Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Anyone travelled through Stansted Airport on a Wednesday morning recently?

Our flight departs at 6.20am and we plan to arrive at the airport at about 4.30am. This is on 30th April. We will be checking in online with Ryanair and carrying hand luggage only. Will this be enough time? Will probably use the mid stay car park.

I am aware that the security queues can be long early in the morning with loads of flights going out.

Similarly what about returning into Stansted at 10.50pm? Same day.

Any advice welcome.
Pippa
Just to say that I have recently been through Stansted between 11 - 12 pm a couple of times. If you are on the Ryanair wing of the terminal, you may have a longish wait at 'Border Control', but if you are at a gate that requires you to use a transit, they may only put on a 1 car transit which means a longer wait until you get to the terminal, and then a 'full house' at border control. Patience will help a great deal!!
hi
we are flying from stansted to turkey on may 5th, havent been to stansted for 8 years and last time we had to get on a small train to go to the other terminal, is this still the same ? also i have looked at the website for stansted and as far as i can see there is very little in the way of fast food, just more expensive restaurants !! is this correct ? dont really want to be buying expensive meals but will need something to eat.
Thanks
Katherine
There is an Italian restaurant (Ponti's?) which does all sorts of meals, including a good meat balls and pasta dish landside, also a Pret àManger landside. Airside there is a Ben and Jerry's which is like its predecessor Garfunkels, also Pret, Wetherspoons pub and various coffee outlets.

The shuttle still runs to various parts of the terminal unless you are with Ryanair, in which case wear your most comfy shoes and allow yourself plenty of time!
There's more choice airside. If I remember right, there's Garfunkels which I would guess might be expensive. There's Pret a Manger which does sarnies and maybe salads. If you want something more filling than sarnies but not too expensive, I'd go to the Wetherspoons. It charges the same as any other Wetherspoons. Hubby and I ate in it once but it was a while ago. If you Google Wetherspoon's, you'll get their website which might have prices on it.
Does anyone know what departure gates Thomas Cook Airlines use at stansted.
Sorry to be negative, but I know it won't be 41-49 because that's Ryanair's wing! Why not contact the airport ....... it has a website, linked to the BAA.
Have not flown Ryanair from Stansted before - do you not have to use the transit for Ryanair flights then? On all our flights from Stansted before we have had to use the train. We are going to Cork.

Pippa
It is rare, but occasionally happens that Ryanair flights are allocated gates 11-29 which require use of the transit train. Nearly ALL Ryanair flights go from their own wing of the terminal which is a foot slg ... don't believe the quoted 12 minutes unless you are in training for the Olympic Games!
I've not timed how long it takes hubby and I to get from Starbucks to the gates Ryan Air have always used when we've flown with them but I'm wondering if the 12 minutes could be based on time to the start of the block of gates.
Have booked the eparking mid stay car park - plan to arrive there at 4.30am. Hopefully we will get through security in time to get a coffee and pastry at Starbucks before our Ryanair flight at 6.20am. No luggage and check in online. If not then we just might have to have something on the plane - what do Ryanair sell in the food/drink line?

Pippa
Loads in theory ........ but they often aren't able to load their full selection! You might be best off with a muffin and a coffee!
The snack box which Ryan Air do is actually quite good value for money, you get crackers, water biscuits, cheese, Pate and small (celebrations size) Mars Bar in it.
Haven't flown from Stansted for a little while.

I think I am right in saying that we can be dropped off outside the terminal. On return does the person collecting us go into the 15 minute pick up area at a cost of £1 - this used to be free!! He will wait somewhere away from the airport and we will give him a ring once we have collected luggage etc.

Pippa
Not sure about departure now Pippa, but on return, I picked my hubbie up from Stansted at the back end of last year & had to wait in that car park where the price goes up ever 15 mins & I was in a big panic in case his flight was delayed or he had a problem getting off the aircraft etc. Thankfully he didn't as he was hand luggage only, so I was under the 15 mins. You might be safer getting him to wait off airport and calling him once you have your luggage.

Hope this helps. Doe.
Details of drop-off, pick-up points and car parking are detailed on Stansted Airports website.

Darren
Hello everyone! :)
I am looking into parking options at Stansted and the Pink Elephant car park appears the most reasonably priced.

Our flight leaves at 8am, therefore we need to be at the airport for about 6 to check in.... will probably be there half an hour earlier "just incase". Does anyone know if the shuttle transfer buses they lay on to get you from the parking to the terminal run at these times? Also. how much time shall we allow for this part of the journey? The website says 15 mins, but in reality?

Thank you in advance for any replies :)
xx
We have just flown from Stansted at the same times as you are and did park in the Pink Elephant long stay, and found the times stated ok we allowed an extra hour, the shuttle bus appeared to be waiting in the dedicated zone which we were directed to on arrival and went straight to departures with plenty of time for breakfast. on return a shuttle for our zone was waiting and we returned to our car quite quickly.

Dave :tup
How about a b&b instead - this one looks lovely and a very good price:-
http://www.thepussywillow.co.uk

Pippa
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.