Thailand Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Thailand.
Has anyone got a trip to Thailand (Bangkok) coming up soon? I've got flights booked for June - I realise its a while away but there is no way of knowing how long this might go on for :( Just wondering where people stand with flights / insurance??
Hi LeeS80 ... that would very much depend on whether the situation escalates and Foreign & Commonwealth Office advice is upgraded.

If for example FCO advice is to avoid large gatherings or non-essential travel to or within certain areas of a country, it is unlikely that any insurance cover would apply if that area can reasonably be avoided, and so alterations or cancellations would be at the discretion and goodwill of the airline or tour operator.

However, if the FCO advised against all travel to a country, then insurance cover kicks in (subject to individual policy terms) and the travel industry begins a programme of repatriation for existing holidaymakers, and alterations, cancellations, etc for future holidaymakers. Situations requiring action such as that are very rare.

David :wave
Hi David,

Many thanks for your reply. I actually called up my insurance this morning too - they have said that at present they are not offering cancellation insurance on this situation. However, there are 53 days until I go so fingers crossed the situation will be resolved! :)

Thanks again,

Lee
Lee,

Things are looking much brighter this morning, so i'd be confident you'll have no issues.

However you could always look at amending to avoid Bangkok (i.e. transit straight through) to wherever you are heading beachwise as no-where else has been affected (par Pattaya but I cannot help but feel a bit of rioting might have improved the place).

I'd have no issues with being in Bangkok at the moment, but being a 'veteran' of Thailand and such issues I have a confidence that stems from knowing the country and the people, which new visitors might not have.

Either way, worry not as i'm sure things will be fine.
Revised again. Travel to Bangkok at will!

Updated: 15 April 2009

This advice has been reviewed and reissued with an amendment to the Summary and the Political Situation section (update on the situation in Thailand). We no longer advise against all but essential travel to Bangkok.

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travelling-and-living-overseas/travel-advice-by-country/asia-oceania/thailand
it is certainly not great news. I hope things improve.
BA has a notice on their site
http://www.britishairways.com/travel/flightops/public/en_gb?p_faqid=3756
Of course this will change so its wise to keep checking their site if you are flying with them
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.