Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
The obvious question is did you report it? If not why not?

fwh
And did they go missing at the Paphos end? we have heard of this before and it was not at the Cypriot end!!
Yes , we have reported it to XL by letter, as we flew with them, and presume they will review security measures taken at Paphos. The thing is , if people can get things out of your case, then presumably they could also put things in, if they were so inclined.
We didn't report it at Gatwick as we didn't realise what had happened - it was 3am. The zip was closed apart from about 4 inches that we thought was where the case had been squashed. Don't think that it happened at Gatwick, as we received the cases pretty soon after landing and there wouldn't have been time.
If anyone knows who to report it to at Paphos ourselves, we would be grateful for the address / email / phone number.
Not expecting any compensation, but it would be good if they could stop this sort of thing happening.
Still, lesson learnt, and at least they didn't get the perfume he had bought for my birthday, which was in the same case.
Yes I heard of a similar story on my web site, and the theft did occur at Gatwick not Paphos, but of course theft can happen anywhere in the world!!
Jim
We had a 4 hour delay at Paphos so there was plenty of time, and of course they scan the cases that end, so can see what you have. Cases came off promptly at Gatwick as middle of night, so I have to say this time I think it unlikely it happened there. Of course there is no way of knowing for sure.
Would be best not to take the chance anyway!
I know it's happened on flights from Malaga to Man and only stuff that could be stashed in pockets were taken. 3 bottles of perfume that I know of and worth £120.
:( :(
When transiting through Heathrow I have had my case opened more than once,last time put cig boxes packed with empty packets ( took me a while to do it ) they were stuffed back in.I now use a Hard trolly case and combination lock, it has not been opened on my last 2 transits.Best if available get it shrink wrapped.
get the case shrink wrapped? haven't heard of that one before. Is it worth doing?
I doubt you woulds be allowed to shrinkwrap it as they have a right to search your case I believe.

I remember goign through Little Rock airport in USA once and they askked me to unlock the case before I left it. They did say they would lock it again for me afterwards.
We went through Palma airport in Majorca and there were shrink-wrap machines just before you checked in...

...was a couple of years ago though, so things may have changed

Ady
The obvious question is did you report it? If not why not?

The problem is deciciding where the crime was committed.

UK Forces won't record a crime as being commited here, just in csae it was committed in Cyprus.

You can't record a crime in West Yorks if it was committed in GMP area.

You can report it , but it gets shoved somewhere else.

Carp, (anag) , but more or less true.

Fanx, Tone.
joespurs,
used to be machines at all major airports, I cannot say if they have been removed,you had to pay for the use.
We went through Palma airport in Majorca and there were shrink-wrap machines just before you checked in...

They had them at Alicante airport when we flew home a few weeks ago too.

Kath x
I have jusy come back from Tenerife and lots of people were having their luggage shrink wrapped, I am thinking of doing this every time we fly, like you say if they can get things out thay can also put things in who knows??? that is a big security risk too.

Dawn :D
Can you check in a shrink wrapped case in the UK?

Dawn :D
Having worked at several UK Airports (Gatwick, Heathrow, Bristol, Exeter)
I can only say that security at UK airports regarding luggage handling is far more stringent than in many foreign airports.
Cannot speak from experience myself but have a friend who has worked in many foreign airports and he chuckles when he tells of the goings on at Palma and Larnaca.
UK airports do not allow luggage handlers to park their private vehicles within the inner security areas.....most Spanish, Greek and Cypriot airport workers park very close to their place of work....Not easy to get cartons of Cigs out under your pullover!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.