Greece - Crete Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Crete.
Hello, we have just returned from Crete last week and the temperature was great 30 ish during the day and 25 at night and because of the meltemi wind that blows during this time of the summer it was very pleasant and not humid at all.

With daughter of 16 and 18 I assume that they are going to want to wander off on their own during and day and in the evening and both Aghios Nikolaos and Elounda would be a good choice for you all, safe resorts for them. However, I personally prefer Aghios as its more Greek than Elounda and as a town has a bigger choice of restaurants and bars too, so the girls may prefer Aghios. Both these resorts are an a hour from Herkalion airport, but if you want somewhere a bit nearer to the airport then Sissi may be the place for you all, although the girls may be a bit bored

I am sure you will get lots of recommendations for Stallis, but I personally wouldnt want my daughters wandering around there, too many chavs and single sex gangs for my liking and a bit too much like Malia too, especially in the high season. I dont have daughters but sons, and I definately wouldnt want them wondering around Stalis on their own at 16!!!!
Hi ilovecrete
Many thanks for replying - those temperatures sound great, it's definately humidity that makes things a bit uncomfortable, so I like the sound of that wind"

Yes, you're right about the girls wanting to wander off and do their own thing a bit. I haven't checked out Aghios, but it sounds like it could be just the job - many thanks. Malia and Stalis are definately NOT on my short list!! :yikes I would be worried to death about them.

Thanks again - I'll go back to my research!

Hilshols :wave:
Been going to stalis for the last 20 years and just can't agree with that statement and I'm pretty sure lots of people who return year on year would not agree either, absolutely nothing like Malia and I think if you try it you'd enjoy it there.
Rick.
Must say we had a brilliant holiday in Stalis in peak summer weeks, and we're in our 50's. We didn't see any more louts than what we've done anywhere else. We even went into Malia old town for a couple of meals.
Well ............... I did say that there would be lots of recommendations for Stallis....... as there always is on this forum!!!

I stand by my original comments....
How about Western Cretre ? The Chania end, there are various resorts up there as well I believe, we stayed a bit off the beaten track, but there are resorts as well although not the sort with chavs and single sex gangs. Also you have got access to Chania itself, which has an authentic feel, although still loads of leather bag shops, ice cream palours and other tourist toot to have a stroll round and look at in all the little wiggly back streets - just dont try and get a parking space in a hurry, but then I guess that goes for anywhere these days!
I totally endorse doepsmc's comments. Avoid places like Stalis if you can. You'll find greater diversity in the West and dramatically more beauty.
Thanks to everyone for taking the time to reply; your ideas and suggestions are valuable and very helpful - think I need to do some more research and check out the Chania area as well! :wave:
I know it's a bit late replying, but I've just seen this thread.

Try Hersonissos, where there is Star Beach with a small water park, bungees, a cracking beach and easy access to Stalis/Malia by bus or the Noddy Train.

There will be plenty of teenagers around, but nothing too manic.

Easy access to the harbour and boat trips.

Plenty of good tavernas all the way through the town and good food aplenty.

If you like somewhere to recover from excesses, try Koutoulafari which is a village on the hill above Hersonissos.
:tup :tup
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.