Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Suncream??
21 Posts
We always buy our sun cream here when Boots have a 3 for 2 offer on in the Summer.

The cream which you apply once a day - have you seen the quantity of cream you have to apply in one application :omg I wonder how long it would take for the skin to absorb the cream and you would be able to put some clothes on!
I use Piz Buin once a day now as it is less greasy than p20 and you can get it in different factors
My hubbie uses Calypso once a day and swears by it. He has very fair skin and never burns. He has also used P20 and loves that but it costs twice as much as the calypso and he says it's pretty much the same. Got the Calypso from matalan of all places but that was in the summer. I've seen P20 in superdrug I think.
Hi Sim was going to ask where you bought the Calypso suncream, but then I read the rest of your post :lol: Sounds quite good and will probably be reasonably priced. I will have a look in Matalan before we go next Saturday :D
We use one called "no ads", or "no frills". It comes in large bottles seems to work well and is very cheap about £1 for 500ml. I think we got it from Asda but Vanda thinks it was a cut price toiletries place.
:)
You can buy p20 at the airport but we like piz buin better it smells nicer and does not stain. my partner has to be very very careful as he suffers with vitaligo that is where he loses the pigmentaion in is skin so soon burns, he as used both and realy do protect you all day the odd occastion he will put some more on the top of his shoulders. did not see either on sale in goa at easter so i would buy it here.

hope this helps

Pip
x :pele
Sim1 good to hear your other half is fair skinned, as I myself am fair skinned and burn fairly easily.

Was going to just use Boots Soltan (sp?) but the stuff you bought sounds pretty decent. Does your other half manage to tan whilst using it as well, or does it just stop him getting burnt?
No-Ad was in TJ Hughes. It was ridiculously cheap and certainly did the trick in Turkey this summer! :D
P20 used to have to be applied 90mins before going in the sun, the new formula is only15mins (check corner of box says 15mins) much better, I always use it for my 12yr old as he hates getting cream put on all the time. £20 for a large bottle in the Airport,you can also get it at TJ's or Superdrug. He is quite dark skinned and always gets a rich deep golden tan with it. 8)
Debi
I bought 5 bottles of sun cream spray from Wilkinsons on Sunday for the princely sum of £1!! Also included in the price was an insect repellent spray. They were tied up in carrier bags, but I opened them to see what exactly was in them!! They were def this year's stock, so will be fine for the four of us next March. No idea if all Wilkos are doing this, but worth a look.
We usually use Calypso or Malibu, as recommended by Sim - I've never burnt with that and it's not greasy.
We always buy our suncreams in Goa, you can get all factors and block, we buy an Australian brand cannot remember the name though but its orange bottles, we get total block, 30, 20, 15, its available in the shops in calungute & Candolim even the Marinha Dourada sold it (but not as cheap), along with your other toiletries saves on that precious weight

Mids
ive seen the p20 and calypso once a day in bodycare, pretty cheap.
I saw the Calypso s20 once a day in home and bargain (don't know if this is a national store or just in Liverpool) @£5.99 200ml but you still have to apply it 90mins before going into the sun.I would rather pay the extra for the P20 15mins 8)

Debi
:) I use piz buin for the first couple of days then use goan stuff - the oil and the australian cream. its very good, but i don't burn easily.
I don't burn either :D I use factor 4 dry oil spray, calypso, but use the p20 for my 12 yr old who also has dark skin, but hates getting anything applied more than once a day :roll:
Hi debgreg02, I like you am dark skinned (as is my partner) and don't really burn... Although, we found that on the beach the sun is very decieving as there is a lovely breeze, and you are completely unaware that you are being cooked!!

Usually on holidays in Europe I use low factors, although for the whole 2 weeks I didn't go any lower than factor 15... and I had the best tan by then end of the holiday (which lasted ages when I got home + no peeling!!)!! And didn't get burned at all.
Hi Lozza

We always holiday in the Caribean,Mexico, Dom Rep, Florida etc so I imagine similar conditions re sea breeze ,hot conditions. I usually start about 15,especially on my nose :lol: , and then work down through eight to 4, never had sunburn ever,and yet my OH who has jet black hair,really dark skin but blue eyes (low melanin) has to really watch it :oops:
apologies to those folks who asked me questions about my hubbies suncream....I only just re-read this thread for some reason. My hubbie has used Calypso once a day, P20 and another make that's once a day which I can't remember now. The Calypso is cheapest and he says as good as the others. I like it because he doesn't burn (so he doesn't complain all day) yet he still gets a nice colour.. He likes it because he says it doesn't make him sweat like the other creams...yuk I know but that's what he says. It's true that the calyspo has to be applied about 90 mins prior to sun but thats never a problem for us as he puts it on when we get up and by the time we've eaten breakfast and walked to the beach the time is up. he's very fair skinned and freckly and if using normal suncrean needs a min factor 30 so he loves this stuff.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.