Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
I shall be going there 13th April.
has anyone been ive found mixed reviews. Intrested in going next feb. thanks
Me and fella jetting off to the Sunrise Royal Makadi hotel on 3rd July 09. Having looked at the reviews I am looking forward to it but also slightly nervous. The location looks lovely, but is it very remote? How long does it take to get to Hurghada? and How much does it cost?

I'm also worried because a lot of the reviews I have read mention a tummy bug. Now is this just with the one hotel, or a common problem throughout Egypt? I've read lots of threads on here so know how to best avoid them but it concerns me that it seems to be a problem with the Royal Makadi especially.

Finally, what is there to do in the evenings? I know Hurghada is close(ish) but is there anything in Makadi Bay? I don't know whether to look forward to this or dread it!

Thanks for everyones replies in advance!

Tess
Hi Tess,

We stayed at the SRMB last August and are returning again this August.

Everything in Makadi Bay is very muc hotel based. On one side of thr hotel you have the sea, to the other you have the Sahara desert. Makadi Bay doe not have a town as such, but I believe if you follow the beach to the right of the hotel for about 20 mins there is one restaurant and a couple of shops - but that's about it.

The hotel is approx 20/25 mins from Hurghada (as is the airport) by taxi. We used the taxi service located to the left of the reception in the hotel which cost us £15 return. Don't use the hotel taxi as it is very expensive. They picked us up from the airport last year and harged us £45. I believe the hotel has a shuttle bus which goes to Hurghada a couple of times a day and also picks you up, but not sure how much they charge, as we never used it.

Regarding tummy problems. Yes, they do seem to be common place throughout Egypt. Concerning the recent reviews on SRMB, I really wouldn't read too much into them. I'm not doubting that some people were ill, but wether it was down to the hotel, I would find that hard to believe. We found the hotel to be immaculate, from the grounds to the rooms (OK the rooms were not exactly 5* but they were always kept very clean) to the pools to the restaurants. Yes, the buffet restaurant wasn't to our liking, but the a la carte restaurants we all excellent. If we really thought there was a problem with the hotel we certainally wouldn't be returning. This will be our 5th trip to Egypt and SRMB has been the best by far, especially in terms of food and hygene.

I think some people seem to be very quick in jumping on the band wagon to blame the hotel for the recent illnesses, but I myself believe that it has a lot to do with not drinking enough water, perhaps drinking too much alcohol, too much sun or lack of general hygene with some guests, the later of which I witnessed myself last year. I actually saw a couple of women coming out of the ladies toilets without even bothering to wash their hands! This alone is enough to cause a major problems for other guests and the hotel!

The evenings are ery laid back. There are a couple of shows laid on in the ampitheatre and a singer on the Gala Evening around the pool, neither of which wer to our liking. There is also a disco, but can't comment on it. It was so hot in the evenings (about 30 degrees) people wee just happy to sit around the pool bar or lobby bar having a few drinks. If you are looking for a bit of night life, then I would suggest going into Hurghada.

don't dread going there, I'm sure you'll have a great time, and as I said, don't reasd too much into the latest reviews (although they are starting to pick up again) Just take the necessary preautions ie drink plenty of water, ue hand gel constanly, be careful of the sun, and don't have the air con in your room set too low, as this can cuase stomach problems also.

I'm sure you'll both have a great holiday - enjoy!

Regards,
Pat
Hi Pat

thanks for your reply, I'm starting to feel better about going now. Me and Fella are 19 and 23 so although we want somewhere chilled out during the day, we might go into Hurghada a few times in the evening. I've not really heard much about the entertainment in the evenings, does that mean it's not really up to much?

Like most people, the bit I am most worried about is the stomach bugs. I've saved up all my money and gone without to afford this holiday, so I will be so disappointed if I end up stuck on the loo for the majority of it! Would this class as a cause to complain?

You are right, looking at the reviews they do seem to be improving again - maybe because they have seen how many people are scared of going/dissapointed when going. But I always try to go with an open mind - what may not be one persons taste, might be right up my street!

Is there anything we need to know regarding the hotel itself, like, unwritten rules if you will?

Thanks very much

Tess
Hi Tess,

If you are referring to entertainment in Hurghada itself, I can't really comment on it as we only went there once to the Hard Rock Cafe for my son's birthday. Although I do believe there are quite a lot of bars, restaurants and a few night clubs around the new Marina. Take a look on the Trip Avisor site for Hurghada and also the Sunrise Royal Makadi Bay Hotel. You will find plenty of info on here. If you can't find what you are looking for, ask a question and I'm sure you'll get plenty of replies.

Re: stomach bugs - cause to complain? Not sure about that, as you would have to prove that the hotel was negligible (spelling!) and not the individual ie not drinking enough fluids (water), too much sun etc etc. As I said above, I really wouldn't worry too much. I did have a bit of an upsets stomach last year, but my husband went to the hotel next door (Tia Heights) and got some tablets from the doctor (2 a day) and I was fine the following day, and it didn't spoil the holiday. One thing that may be worth trying before you go is Acidophilus tablets, which may help prevent stomach problems. My husband takes them as a matter of course, not just before going on holiday, and has never had any problems. Whether it is just luck, I'm not sure, but I have started taking them myself now. You can purchase them from Holland and Barrett. As they say prevention is better than cure!

What would you like to know in particular about the hotel? Feel free to ask.

Regards,
Pat
i cant comment on the hotel you are going to but regarding the tummy problems as pat says a lot of the problems are caused by too much sun and/or booze and not drinking enough water

also the money is VERY dirty so u need to wash your hands after using money and it might be worth taken a antibacterial gel with u for this

IF you do get any tummy problems even a niggle get along to the pharmacist and buy some Antinal its brilliant.... the key is to take it as soon as you suspect anything and with luck it will come to nothing

i second the acidophillus
HTH
GOD, yes!!

The money and the anti bacterial gel should have been the first things I should have mentioned. Even around the pool, I always have the gel at hand. Regarding the money, I don't handle it, I leave that to my husband!!

Regards,
Pat
Yes i've got three bottles of antibacterial hand wash in my bag ready! How come the money is so dirty though - are the people just not very hygenic? I mean we have lots of coins and notes here but nobody gets ill from handling them!

What is the entertainment like in the hotel at night, do they have bingo/kareoke etc? Or just a bloke singing?

Thanks
Tess
Hi Tess,

I assume they don't print money on the same scale as we do her in the UK or any other country for that matter, hence their money is well circulated.

Afraid you won't get ny bingo, kareoke etc in the hotel. Entertainment is VERY laid back, not just at the SRMB, but in most hotels in Egypt. There are normally shows in the ampitheatre at night between 8-9, and on Gala Evenings (which is around the pool) there was a woman singer (left a lot to be desired) Don't mean to put you off, but don't go there expecting good night time entertainment because you won't get it. As I said in my previous post, you could try the hotel disco (but can't comment on it), otherwise you will need to go to Hurghada if you want to go clubbing.

Pat
Hi Tess,

If you are looking for a bit of nightlife, perhaps try Hed Kandi Bar, Hurghada Marina, opposite Roma Hotel. apparently they provide music/disco and live bands some nights during the week.

Regards,
Pat
Thanks for the replies so far, thought of another question! In Makadi Bay itself, is there any cash points? :que
Hi Tess,

I think, but not sure, that the SRMB has now installed cash points in the reception area of the hotel. although the hotel next door Tia Heights (formally Le Meridien) apparently has full banking services available.

If you go onto Trip Advisor and send a PM to FOCUSVON (John) I'm sure he will put you right, as he has been to the SRMB 5 times and there isn't much he does not know about the hotel.

Best wishes,
Pat
Ohh he sounds like a pro! I may well do that. Can't believe i'm off next friday feels like years ago we booked it! (was only april!)
Hi Tess,

Hope you have fab holiday, I'm sure you'll enjoy it .... have fun!

Pat
We are going to the Sunrise Royal Makadi hotel in October for 10 nights and were wondering if pool/beach towels are provided?

Also we have heard some issues on hygiene about this resort, but they were from over a year ago, I was wondering if anyone had any recent experiences regarding the hotel. Any experiences will be welcomed good or bad.

Any information and advice would be welcomed also regarding the surrounding area and any recommended trips while we stay there :)

Thank you

David & Jane Clarke
Towels are provided ;) Loads of trips on offer and quite reasonably priced, Luxor probably the best value.
Me & my fella are going to Sunrise Royal Makadi on Friday for 11 nights. Like you, I am very worried about getting a stomach upset - why spend all this money on a holiday just to be toilet ridden? I've stocked up on Immodium etc, but apparently the best stuff is called Antinal but you can only buy it once you are over there. I really am going to be so careful and avoid salads etc, which is a shame because i'm supposed to be on a diet!

I've emailed the hotel a few times and yes beach towels are provided, and they also provide a hair dryer so I can save on my weight limit!
Four more sleeps til I get there now, Can't wait. :cheers Got plenty of Immodium etc, just need some salt sachets in case the worst happens. Definately looks like the reviews are on the up though which is reassuring.

I just have a couple more questions - is there ANY restaurants/bars/shops near the hotel - i.e within walking distance?

I have just read a review on Trip Advisor mentioning an animation team - is this a new thing as until now I have always been told there is no entertainment in the evenings?

Thanks! :D
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.