Tour Operators and Travel Agents

Discussions regarding Tour Operators and Travel Agents
surcharges
5 Posts
davetraceyuk,

I would be very surprised if the figures quoted by the media are accurate (they rarely are!). The amount of fuel used per passenger / couple wouldn't come to £200 on a £2,000 holiday, let along increase by that much!! Surcharges, depending on the airline and destination are currently running at ~£10 for a short-mid haul flight.

Darren
well thats a relief then! i'll never trust the BBC again. This was on the news on saturday morning. they interviewed the "industry experts" who were quoting these figures. maybe they mean for long haul flights where the fuel cost would be considerable. i know in t&cs that the operator has to absorb the first 2% of surcharges.customers are then accountable for the next 8%. then after this a refund /cancellation or offer of alternative holiday is allowed.
davetraceyuk,

they interviewed the "industry experts"

Wouldn't have been Simon Calder would it? As good as he is, he sometimes comes out with some exagerated statements to make things sound far more dramatic than they are. He is a journalist after all!! Even on a long haul flight, I'd expect some increase, but not £200 even on a trans-atlantic flight. Charter airline fuel supliments are currently running at ~£30 return depending on airline and destination, eg TCX MAN-SFB-MAN. BA's fuel surcharges are a little more expensive; Europe & UK domestic flights are charged at £13, longhaul up to 9 hours duration are £63 and all flight over 9 hours £79.

There's a thread on the Flights forum on a similar topic.

Darren
Yes it was Simon Calder and you are correct he does exaggerate somewhat.

Sue
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.