Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
adam89,

Welcome onboard :tup
All the above is fine. It' only meat and dairy products that you run in to problems with. Items are normally reasonable and not much different price wise if you shop in supermarkets abroad so I wouldn't worry too much about taking everything as you'll probably be able to get most items when you get there. Be careful with weight restrictions on luggage, you don't want to be charged any excess luggage that may end up costing more than the items you're taking!

Darren
Weight won't be a problem as I'm a light traveler, don't need 23 different outfits lol

so all the above items are absolutely fine to take?

what about a bottle of alcohol?
If you want to risk having liquid in your case then there isn't a problem, but it must be in your hold luggage, you can't carry it in hand luggage.
adam89,

If you want to purchase alcohol from duty free, that's fine as long as it's purchased airside and placed in your hand luggage. You won't be permitted to take it through security due to the liquid restrictions if you bring it to the airport. I would be very cautious about taking a glass bottle in hold luggage as suit cases can get bashed around and you don't want it to break. I would get it from duty free once you clear security if you purchase anything. Bear in mind the drinking of alcohol that you have brought on to the aircraft is not permitted.

Darren
Re coffee, sugar, you could buy those 3in 1 sachets by Nescafé you get 10 in a packet for £1 or, instead of sugar take saccharine tablets. Asda are selling Batchelors pasta, macaroni cheese, chicken and leek etc for 50p at the moment, you just need to add milk and they are filling.
Thanks for the replies guys, yeah I think best bet is to get alcohol from duty free then, although you can get ones with plastic bottles which are no more worse in your suitcase than say a bottle of suncream or aftershave if it breaks etc....

Glynis great idea I never thought of the sachets but that will be a lot more easier to pack and lighter so thanks for that! In regards to packets of pasta and dried foods we are just gonna get really cheap stuff from quality save or home bargains :)
If you're short of cash and want to take alcohol with you for the room/balcony on some aircraft they do really good deals like two x 1 litres of quality spirits for £22, Bacardi, Smirnoff, Gordons etc although I guess that might be too much for some in a fortnight. It might be airline dependant though so you would need to check.

I haven't been for a few years but supermarket wine was always cheaper in Portugal than the UK, so if you are wine drinkers that could be good news. (They may have put up VAT now though)
am I wrong here in thinking you cannot buy alcohol from duty free or on the plane as they are going to a European destination hence not duty free ???
I am sure when we last flew to a European destination the duty free shop could not sell to us as we was traveling to a European destination and the flight did not do a duty free run ?
madasharley,

You can purchase them, but you have to pay tax on them rather than the duty free price (there's 2 prices quoted on items effected, eg alcohol and tobacco).

Darren
ah right thanks Darren that's good to know but the flight don't sell do they ?
madasharley,

It depends who you fly with. Some do, some don't.

Darren
I can understand taking teabags & coffee of your choice,cheese etc (Intermarche supermarkets sell english cheese, cheddar, lancashire etc) but why take the rest the big supermarkets cater for all your needs in that respect. Crisps are just the same, Lays brand which is same company as Walkers but not as much variety in flavours. Why carry all that weight when you can buy it in the resort.If you don't understand the lingo it might take some thinking about when buying but most food products are self explanitory on the packaging.
If you read the OP he states he hasn't left himself much money for buying food, so I'm guessing he is raiding his food cupboards so as to leave some cash to spend.. He has a full weight limit for luggage and states he doesn't take many clothes so who are we to question what he should or should not take.
Cheers Judith!

No not raiding the cupboards, I am going to just get a few bits from quality save as it's dirt cheap!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.