General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Hi

I think most airports are the same now and don't officialy ;) allow photography within them anymore.
I've never heard of this, thats a new one to me.

I've got photos of me in 3 out of 4 airports we visited going to Vegas in November.

Helen
Photography will be banned throughout the security check area on departure (passports and customs on arrivals) but I've never seen it banned in other general areas. If you're obviously just getting pictures of yourself or others in the party there shouldn't be a problem but if it's a something like detail of the architecture it might be an idea to mention it to any passing police or at the general information desk before you do it.
I think some airports are more strict on this than others, i've seen some people being able to snap away with no problems and others asked to put cameras away. Do you ask and run the risk of being told no or just take some pictures and see if you get challenged?
well we flew from Birmingham last month and i took loads of photos in the airport and nobody batted an eyelid, like you i was doing a photo journal of our trip. Enjoy your trip :tup
We were stopped from taking pictures of checking in at Larnaca recently...........................I wanted a photo of the farce it was...outside, YES outside, under a gazeebo :que :que I still managed a one though. ;)
dinner-lady wrote:
well we flew from Birmingham last month and i took loads of photos in the airport and nobody batted an eyelid, like you i was doing a photo journal of our trip. Enjoy your trip :tup

Just as you said, I want to make photo blog of my holiday: Starting from glasgow airport/manchester airport new buildings, rimini airport, the resort, trainstation at Milan, and U2 concert on 8 July, the reosrt I am staying in cattolica, and suround resorts

CazzMicknTom wrote:
We were stopped from taking pictures of checking in at Larnaca recently...........................I wanted a photo of the farce it was...outside, YES outside, under a gazeebo :que :que I still managed a one though. ;)

alot of changes to be seen at glasgow/manchester airports, Mnachester now even haves an area where you can take good pictures of the planes
CazzMicknTom

you'll find that Virgin Trains managers take the same attitude when things go wrong on their stations! they say it's because of "security fears" - yeah, JOB security!!!
I think some caution may be needed in some parts of the world/in some parts of some airports. Some airports also facilitate military landings. Remember the Greek incident in 2001?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2397667.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/1649617.stm

Take care in what appear to be security-sensitive areas or where there are military personnel (not all police have the same status as in the UK, they may be military police).

If in doubt...ask for permission?
As an aviation photographer, you have to be really careful. In most parts of europe, you are fine taking photos in and around airports apart from in security sensitive areas as has already been mentioned (I obtain prior permission when possible in airports for anything other than aircraft). In Africa, the Caribbean and US states, you have to be careful and I've nearly been arrested on several occasions for taking photos of aircraft and airport terminals, even with permission from local police. Photography in public places is perfectly fine and case law supports this. However airports, shopping centres etc are private property and you therefore need to seek permission in some cases and respect local laws. If you're just taking a few snapshots, it's not normally a problem but if you use SLR type cameras, expect to be challenged by serurity.

Darren
That's probably why I was stopped Darren, I was using my "big" camera, as hubby would say. :rofl
CazzMicknTom,

That's often the case. You want to try carrying a 50D with a 500mm lens through an airport and see how many looks you get from security! Public safety is one issue, but they'll often ask the purpose of your photograhy in case you are a jounalist or taking photos for publication. A compact camera is unlikely to be used for those purposes so they often turn a blind eye. I was over in the Isle Of Man on Monday on a photo trip and emailed the airport a few weeks prior to ask permission. The local police emailed me back giving permission for photography in and around the airport apart from security sensitive areas, so no problems.

Darren
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.