General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
I went to Majorca while on crutches & as I went through the scanner the lady pointed to my leg. My daughter was in hysterics when I picked up the crutches & showed the lady the bottom of them, when she wanted to see my trainers . Hubby has walked off and left the whole flight bag behind, as he was fussing putting his shoes, belt, etc on.
  • Edited by Helen T 2010-09-05 16:16:06
Yes me and my youngest daughter have,I was so embarresed,the 3/4 length pants we had on were very similar and they had one of those short type belt thingys that you could not take off so when we went through the scanners it kept bleeping,we couldnt fathem out why and neither could the security lady as the belt type thing was that small,anyway we walked back through and had to get a quick bodily search which Is when I felt my face going bright red and my daughter was not at all amused by her having the same thing done to her,she made a point of saying 'Don't you ever buy me those type of pants again' :oops: .
So I have made sure she just wears casual joggers for travelling in this time ;)
When we travel from Birmingham airport I nearly always get frisked :que once I asked why the bleeper had gone off and the lady said it bleeps every so many passengers, just my bad luck I suppose. :-?

Coming home once I had to go through the scanner a few times, until the security officer told me to take off my sunglasses which were on top of my head. :whoops

It's a bit stressful with all the queues and you need your wits about you at times.
hi all

cazb-i did just the same as you!!! i went through the scanner 3 times and got frisked and still the guard look puzzled then i realised my sunglasses were still on my head!!!! i always seem to get pulled aside whenever we go away so if im honest i do get a bit flustered and automatically feel guilty even tho im not!!!!

:)
As usual you have to remove your shoes, and belts for men

Now my short were of the slighter larger size, and I had to hold them up, now the security man at manchester airport had a laugh, at this, and told me, just hold your shorts, dont bother putting both hand s to the side, other wise my shorts would have fallen down
Nothing funny happened but a couple of years ago my son had decided to pack a pencil case in his hand luggage . Unsurprisingly it never got used for the duration but inside it was a fairly large pair of hair scissors . I didnt even know they were in there and nothing at all was mentioned at Stansted . They wernt discovered until coming back home via Dalaman when the scanners there picked them up.. Fortunately they wern't too hard on us but more worryingly it just shows how useless our own airports can be at times.

Another time at Sharm nobody had noticed that one of the Egyptian security guys had lifted a rather large & expensive bottle of aftershave from my sons toiletry bag (This was pre the new liquid security measures) It wasnt until we were walking off that he called My son back and asked if he could keep it . Well actually he said "I need this for myself" . He really felt intimidated and didnt know how to deal with it . He thought if he refused the security guard would make things difficult for him . in the end my husband said it had been a present for him and the guard reluctantly gave it back . Not a pleasant experience
Lyn on our way back from our first trip to the Dom Rep we heard of similar things happening to felliow passengers. Toiletries and perfumes being confiscated for personal use. Again, this was before the liquid restriction regs.
After going through the scanner and ringing the bell I was scannened and it was my wallet I use on holiday, it had very small metal corners.The official then went through it paper by paper and note be note and ran her hand scanner over me and my wallet again and then fetched a tray and sent it through the xray.Jobsworth sprang to mind but I did manage to smile and say nothing
Coming back from Turin they wanted to confiscate my car keys :yikes ....my mini was parked at gatwick so there was no way on earth I was letting go of the keys!!

DD1 nearly caused a security alert at birmingham a few years ago...left a suitcase in the queue and forgot about it. Security were around it when she remember and went back for it...we don't let her carry any bags through the airport now! :duh
Coming back from Turkey at Dalaman airport, security asked my husband to remove his belt from his 3/4lentgh shorts he kept telling them that the belt was attached to the short, not understanding what he was saying the security man started to shout at him OFF OFF pointing to the belt. My husband informed me that if he had shouted at him one more time he was going to take his shorts off
My first holiday abroad was with my parents when I was 11 years old. We were off to Ibiza. While waiting to go through the scanners, I noticed the police officers/guards on the other side had machine guns. I turned to dad and said why have they got guns, to which dad replied if the machine beeps they shoot you :yikes :rofl
The amount of flights that I take each year you would think I would know the routine off by heart but last week when flying home to Germany from Gatwick, at security I put my coat, my case, my small cosmetic plastic bag in the boxes provided. I proceeded to walk through the archway. I had a bit of a headcold that was affecting my hearing and didn't catch what the security people were saying to me. . Eventually my OH caught hold of my arm. I had only walked through with my handbag still slung over my shoulder, the security lady then gave me a short lecture on what I must put through the xray machine when travelling, in the rather patronising manner that younger people often speak to the more elderly. I realise it was no big deal as I was able to go back and put the handbag through the machine but I felt a real fool and wondered what people were thinking. A real senior moment.
The main problem with going through the archway with a bag or bangles etc etc by mistake is that security has to then body search because the gate has alarmed despite knowing which offending article has triggered the alarm. (they are viewed on cctv and can't just let you go because they thought the alarm was your bag etc) . Obviously they try to minimise the amount of searches by getting people to remove items that set the alarm off, this means they can concentrate on real problems rather than someone just forgetting they have something in their pocket etc. thus the reason for taking nearly everything off to go through the x-ray! if they didn't do this they would end up body searching nearly everyone which really would slow things up.
I must admit that when i go through security my mind has wandered into a world of its own, there is a lot going on and i think most people find themselves concentrating on one thing and forgetting another,
which brings me to an incident that happened to one of my wifes colleagues , he was on the belt loading items into the x-ray machine and looked down the queue and noticed an attractive lady with a seriously ample chest, and everyone in the queue was aware of her aswell. He asked for her hat and sunglasses, bag and bangles and belt, he was trying to look elsewhere but it was difficult not to notice what was exactly in front of him, he could also feel everyones eyes on him aswell , she walked to the gate and a female officer stopped her , and called him and said , you didn't ask for her shoes! feeling flustered he replied oh sorry i couldn't see them because of her big chest, everyone in the queue was laughing , and the lady didn't mind either after making him feel a bit uncomfortable for a while. so there , its easy for anyone to lose their concentration even if they think they know what they're doing.
A few years ago my son was on a college trip to Lanzarote. Never being one to miss an opportunity, my hubby and I also booked to go to Lanza (opposite ends of the island lol). We only found out when we got home that my son had left his passport in the tray when he went through security. They were getting very short on time as the plane was due to leave and he still hadn't located it. Apparently he told his tutor "it's ok my mum and dad are here somewhere so you can catch your flight". They did find it in time but heaven knows how he thought he was going to get home after mum and dad had located his passport :rofl
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.