Bulgaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Bulgaria
Hi!I'm from St.Vlas so i can tell you that it will cost a lot of money to go by taxy in Sunny Beach-about 40-50 lv may be!The taxi drivers take more money from the tourists.if you want you can go by a bus-there are regular buses on every half an hour and the ticket costs 80 stotinki
There must be some rip off taxi drivers in the Sunny Beach area.

Going by distance on the map, with knowledge of prices over the longer distance of Golden Sands to Varna, I would expect to pay a max of 15 leva by taxi, unless both ways is being quoted.

The bus fare of 80 stotinki (if this is correct) might suggest such a short distance that even 10 leva would be reasonable.

Peter
Hi Peter,

Agreed, as it's around 6km from Sunny Beach to Sveti Vlas, 6 Leva would mean a fare amounting to 1 Lev per kilometre, which is pretty expensive in comparison with ordinary taxi fares, so 10 Leva would give a more than healthy profit margin.

Baldur
The taxis i came across in Bulgaria seemed to charge whatever they wanted......even if you know how much a fair should be , unless you can speak some Bulgarian you may struggle to get the journey for that price. Taxis display their price per Km in their side window , but even when I pointed this out to the drivers I was told in no uncertain terms that this is not the price for tourists???
Best of luck.....

pat
A word of warning. If you hire a taxi from Varna centre back to Albena and you want to be dropped off at your Hotel beware of the extra 10 lev you will be charged, this is for the driver to pay to get back out of resort.
That's a good tip Tony, but it's really not on. Stupid rules like this are yet another example of the way in which the Bulgarian tourist industry does itself no favours. Taxis should be exempt this exit fee, which does not appear to apply in Golden Sands.

A post above states -

Hi!I'm from St.Vlas so i can tell you that it will cost a lot of money to go by taxy in Sunny Beach-about 40-50 lv may be!The taxi drivers take more money from the tourists.if you want you can go by a bus-there are regular buses on every half an hour and the ticket costs 80 stotinki

Taxi drivers should NOT take 'more money from tourists'. It has been insisted upon by the EU that there should not be a different rate for any service to tourists, be it hotel tariffs, restaurants, taxis, or anything.

This is now written into Bulgarian law, for what good it's likely to do.

Peter
Good Afternoon Peter, All Taxis in Albena have a swipe card as do many of the workers, if you do not have one of these then everybody is subject to this charge of 10 lev. Tonyt
Tony,

I wasn't referring to the vehicular exit charge at Albena in the context of one price for tourists and one for Bulgarians.

What is now illegal, is the implication of this sentence -

The taxi drivers take more money from the tourists.

This suggests one price for them and a higher one for us, which should no longer be the case if recent legislation is being complied with.

Peter
cheers discolazur,i will get bus into sunny beach,do you know what time bus stops going to st vlas,as we will be going into sunnybeach in the evening,the price for taxi seem dear.cheers
We will be going to Panorama Fort and wondered how much a taxi is to get to sunny beach and back each evening ?
They say Panorama Fort is between St Vlas and Sunny Beach
Some of the comments scare me !
Hi charlton111,

You will be able to get timetable information at the bus station in Sunny Beach.

Baldur
cheers baldur,did you find the taxis that expensive,thanks again
Hi charlton111,

The taxi drivers will try to get what they can from you, especially if you're a tourist and in the resort areas.

Personally, I will not pay tourist prices, a 12 km journey used to cost me 4/5 Leva in the Dobrich/Varna area last year - I expect it to have increased very slightly this year, due to fuel price increases.

Baldur
How do you manage to get such good deals Baldur, the taxis in GS will charge you 10 lev to get from bonkers on party street back to your hotel 1/2 mile away if they can get away with it.........what would youre advice be to tourists who wanted to ensure a fair price.???....

pat
thanks for the info,by the way is that you on the beach bulgaria discussion board also,cheers
Hi,the last bus from Sunny Beach is at 24.30 and the first from from St.Vlas-at 5.45h.
Hi Pat,

Sorry, I missed your query above until now - "How do you manage to get such good deals...." etc.

1. I know enough Bulgarian (and Bulgarian expletives) to ensure that Taxi Drivers are left in no doubt about what I think of any ludicrous fares that they quote.

2. I rarely frequent resorts or 'touristy' areas - if I do, I generally use public transport or a hire car.

3. I also tend to obtain the business cards of any reasonable taxi drivers, whom I can ring if I require a taxi.

In the words of my Bulgarian friend, in an e-mail received this morning, "Taxi is bik Banditos" :wink:

Baldur
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.