Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
I thought that you would have had responses before so waited a bit.
We use a driver from outside the Silver sands and will give you his name and phone if you want it but to be honest it's as easy to just use a couple and see which you are happy with.
They are all pretty much the same overall.

As far as jewellers, we have used Glimpses of India a few times and been satisfied, also well satisfied by one almost next door to the elephant shop, two or three doors to the right, think it's called "Indian Arts".
The guy there is VERY businesslike and sometimes seems a bit off putting , but turns out some good stuff at good prices and once you do get to know him is a good bloke

Took a ring back to Glimpses of India that had lost a diamond after 4 years and it was replaced without charge and no hassle etc.
Also used the jeweller in Phoenix Park hotel and was happy with the jewellery there.
Ok, thanks. Agree about the taxis but thought we would see if anyone had a particularly good driver. We had one for years but he decided to open his own shack in Ashwem and haven't found one as good since. We do tend to stay out quite late and find that quite often they don't like to work late, our previous one would stay out until 5 am if we wanted and never complained and was very reliable.
the driver we use is good but I doubt that he would want to be working till 5.00 am!
(except of course for airport runs)
My 2 pennies worth:
We use a driver called Joseph who actually lives at the Highland Beach resort and has done for years. He looks afer the property for an ex -pat that we stay in when we are there. Number available should you want it.

For jewellers, we have used Pop Inn on the Beach Road about 5 mins from the Highland Beach resort - virtually opposite from the Carvery where you will be spending your Wednesday nights ;) - engagement made for us - recommended to us by friends who have used this place for years and whose favourite stone was Opal too.
Can't help on the jeweller but can highly recommend Joseph. We have always used him in the past for airport runs and he will work any hour required! He has excellent English and is a safe driver.
Looks as though it is going to be Joseph then. By the way we don't do 5 am every day, we don't mean to anyway, time just disappears when you are with some people! We do like to go to beaches in the North and South though so do need a good driver. Will also give the jeweller a visit, shouldn't be hard to find if near the Carvery. Kippaxian could you pm me Joseph's number please. Many thanks.
Pashu taxi no 4430 works on the Highland stand is very good his number is 00919850980471.
Unlike most he does not try to overtake everything in site and is very reliable.
I would agree about pop in.
he had some large opals in stock last year as well.
Steve
Guru jewlers next door to elephant shop and Magnums tell him Amanda rec you I been to Goa for 15 years and he has never let me down
Thank you very much everyone for your help and advise enabling us to enjoy our forthcoming holiday. I am sure we will have no problem with taxis and jewellers now.
looking forward to seeing you both
Chilly
Hi Brenliz - we have used Living Jewels near the Panjim road junction in Candolim for a few years. He has made diamond rings for us, my son and several friends. On one occasion we took a photo of an intricate ring we had seen in the UK and they did a perfect copy at less than half the cost.

Every one has been valued at well over what we paid. There are two guys, Hari and Perry and they are nice guys.

I have told them about HT and that any poor service/work will be on the Internet in hours. It may be worth mentioning it if you go there.
I can also recommend Living Jewels.

I've had lots of things made ther over the last 10 years and have always been very satisfied with the quality of the workmanship, gems and price.
Ok thanks for your replies, counting down the days now.
Kippaxian, thanks for the recommendation for Pop In Jewellers, he did a brilliant job with the opals, we had two gold rings made from them and Liz also had matching earrings surrounded with diamonds. I also had a silver ring with black stone. We were very pleased and excellent prices, a lovely man too. We had no problems with taxis, there was always someone available outside Highland Beach and no one seemed to mind late nights, all lovely guys.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.