General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
was speaking to someone at thomson who said the pages cost hundreds and were'nt bringing in as many bookings due to current economy, that could be why
i understand that companies will advertise less to save money but in this case Teletext have actually

cut the amount of pages as i sstated there used to be up to 99 pages on the Scottish regional page

now only 35...so to me its Teletext that are going to suffer by reducing the amount of advertising
I'm guessing now that most people have access to a computer, teletexts holidays have had a massive downfall in people looking!!! But it's been like this for years though so that wouldn't explain a sudden drop in pages! I thought if anything there would be MORE bargain holidays and last minutes as people haven't been booking them sooner?
The bookings that we get from the Teletext Advertising on the TV doesn't even cover the cost and many companies have actually cut the amount of pages they have because of this. Alot of the adverts can be quite vague and when people do call it is often not want they want but because they have seen a price they have this fixed in their head and when the price comes out higher with want they are looking for, alot of them don't bother.

The teletextholidays website is probably the most effective way of direct advertising and although expensive, it does work and many companies make alot of money from this, although again, it is quite difficult at the moment as even being £1 more expensive can make a difference as to how your rank in the pages and there is a big battle out there on pricing with some companies using tactics that personally i don't agree with !
My dad has often priced holidays up on teletext. He says he hasn't had a holiday yet, that comes out at the price its advertised on the television.
Hi Helen,

The price advertised is normally the very basic, just the flight and accom. Any baggage, transfers etc are optional extras to be added.
More often than not, the one advertised will be based on say Bournemouth flights and the client wants Manchester so 9 times out of 10 it will allways be more.

Cheers
That's what always happens - & as he usually wants flights from cardiff or Bristol, they're very few & far between & certainly not at the advertised price.
regarding costings and optional extras i would imagine 75/85/90% of travellers take a suitcase and a similar amount

will require transfers to from the accm....so since the majority of travellers want these optional extras why not

include them in the costing and mention this in the ad...i understand the idea of low basic costs but consumers

wish to know the total cost...say you see a tv advertised in Currys at say £ 149 they will have at least one

type of tv at this price...so why not travel???
Actually it's like seeing a tv in currys and then them saying 'It's £149 for the tv, if you want a remote it's an extra £30, a plug? £10, if you want the tv from a store nearer to you it's an extra £45!!!' :)
Exactly. I would far rather know the total cost with all the extras & then be able to discount some. I'm sure most people would agree.
Personally, i agree with what you are saying but companies want to appear to be the cheapest at the moment, there is so much competetion its unreal and some companies using bad tactics.

Problem is, if we advertise with all the extras and another company isn't then the other company will get the call first, when the client hears the extras, it makes the other company look even more expensive as they think they are going to be charged more when infact they may not but because of this, they don't bother calling.

Mad i know but just the way it seems to work.

Thanks
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.