Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
It seems the Goa market is becoming far less profitable for the UK tour operators leading to a rise in prices to maintain profits.

They are after all running a business and there is no point at all running a business to lose money.

The writing has been on the wall for a while now with the visa nonsense and all the other things those of us who have been going for years now comlain about.

No need to list the faults we all know what they are.

Ironically, Goa for us Brits may well revert to what it was 20 years ago. A fringe destination only ventured to by the brave and hardy traveller. This time around though it will be for a completely differently set of reasons.

No point in looking back with rose tinted glasses as every tourist destination changes I just find it very sad at the mess the politicians have made in Goa.

The rampant and endemic corruption at every level has made it impossible for anything to get done to improve things to a level where even Spain managed to acheive in the 70s.

So we are left with hotel standards that would shock anyone who had stayed in a 1 star hotel in England would expect.

Dirt and filth everywhere. I could go on but you all know what I mean.

Like many of you we have been to a lot of places to rival Goa but in the immediate region we have Thailand, Sri Lanka, Cambodia which we have travelled to and many others which more of you have been to and they all have far better hotels and infrastructure.

So apart from how cheap it still is its just not enough anymore for us.

Papa
The season before last was the first time we had missed going to Goa since 1984 - firstly as "tweekers" then winter visitors for 15
seasons and went to Vietnam and Thailand instead. We gave in and went back in November and stayed over Christmas and New Year (2012) and after a few days we knew we had made a mistake going back and really wished our life away until we left in Feb.
We have some nice friends and good social life in Goa but the rest of it did not make up for that.
We left and went to Thailand and now Vietnam where the hotels are much cheaper, cleaner and food and drink prices on a par with Goa - the social life is not as good but we have clean, paved streets to walk on, beautiful clean beaches - no dogs or sellers on there and nobody yelling TAXI every 2 yards and the quality of life is so much better.
So no more Goa for us either.

Just came here to message Chilli and saw this thread)
;) Just back from another trip to Thailand....agree 200% with you Waterproof...

...one of the places we stayed Koh Samet...

http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/6197/kohsamet.jpg
Waterproof and Betty do you book independently to Thailand or do you do package. Have never been to Thailand but would love to go. Having said that would still go to Goa. After 12 year still love it but would consider Thailand as an additional holiday.
Independently Brenliz.

I booked flight into Bangkok where we stayed for three nights - then caught the train from Thonburi Railway Station up to Kanchanaburi (Bridge over the River Kwai) for 3 nights where we also visited the Tiger Temple. Having read a lot about it before we went, I had mixed feelings about visiting but SO glad we did...

http://img846.imageshack.us/img846/746/tigertn.jpg

We got a bus from Kanchanaburi direct to Rayong - where we got the ferry across to Koh Samet for several nights. Speedboat and mini bus back to Bangkok for one night then back to UK.

Other year we did Cambodia - again independently - Bangkok - Siem Reap - Sihanoukville via bus from Phnom Penh - back to Phnom Penh - Bangkok. Another year we got bus from Bangkok straight to Koh Chang.

Before the tsunami we had, independently, done Koh Samui, Phi Phi, Koh Lanta, Krabbi and Phuket - which is now why we visit the other side of the gulf.

So easy to travel Thailand.
If I was new to Thailand would book a package to get a feel of the country then DIY if you want to go back.It all depends how confident you are with travelling without the safety net of an agent. We alway do independant but we travel for months not 2 weeks so have the time to change our minds about where we want to be.
Travel by plane, train, boat or bus is very easy once you are in Asia and there is not the hassles of Indian visa if you want to travel elsewhere - 1 month free visa in Thailand - Vietnam within 2 days via internet. etc
We recently travelled 1/3 of the way up Vietnam for £8 on the train - tickets booked the same day. Good hotels for less than £10 a night.
Now off to do some research on Koh Samet. :)
Thanks for the info. I would do it independently but don't think my sister who I go with would like to. After our trip around North India this time maybe I could persuade her. Will definately have to give it serious thought though before I get too old!
We've done from 7 weeks before but this time just under 3 weeks. Our son went back to Koh Samui AFTER the tsunami (having been there before) and recommended that we didn't go back and just keep our fantastic memories of it...which is why we now travel other side of Thailand.

Agree with Waterproof regarding prices hotels/trains/buses. Even if doing it independently - way back before the tsunami - you couldn't get 'lost' ..as they stick different coloured stickers on you so THEY know where you're going even if you don't :rofl
Again have to agree with waterproof,we found Thailand so easy to get around, would love to see lots more of this beautiful country,and Betty i have the same piccy as you with the tiger at the temple.As i have said before as much as i loved Thailand i really missed the beach and social life in Goa
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.