Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
Thassos
11 Posts
Hi there. We are going to Skala Prinou in June. Where are you staying? Never been to Thassos before so really looking forward to it :D .
Hi Pinocchio
I have spent a lot of time on the International forum on http://www.thassos-forum.com/ . A lot of the people on there seem to recommend Potos car hire. We have booked 5 days at the beginning of August for €150 (Corsa with air-con) which I thought was very reasonable. If you look at http://www.thassos-island.com/tourism/motorent there are several links to car hire.
Have a great holiday,
Yiamass, Jean
:D We are going to be staying at Plaza Socrates and are going this Sunday. Really looking forward to it but just a bit worried as weather forecast looks a bit dodgy - never mind we will be in Greece!

Thanks for car hire tip will try Potos.
Hi Pinocchio. We are staying at the Socrates in June. Look forward to your review :D.
Just had a look at the links greece lover mentioned I didn't even know where Thassos was, and am suprised it is so close to Halkidiki. :oops:

I had a look at the pictures and the webcam and its looks very similar to the Kassandra Pennisular in Halkidiki. Especially the greenery.

How do you get there anyway? do you fly direct or do you have to fly to Thessalonika and then get the boat or something? :hmmm
Thassos is indeed very green and each building has a pitched roof. This because ... it rains (quite a lot) and they get snow as well. This means that it is not as parched as most of the more southerly islands.
Travel is easy. Fly to Kavala and a six mile ferry from there (see the topic next to this one).
A lovely, working island. Quite busy as the best marble comes from their quarries. Good bus trips around the island. Plenty of archaeology and a good place for walking and exploring. Pleasant harbour. Certainly one of my favourite places.
Hi Parqaluvva

Just to let you know that you have made a brilliant choice with the Socrates we have just had a wonderful two weeks there. George who runs the hotel is very friendly and the place is very clean. Its a very quiet and peaceful place with just a few tavernas - our favourite was the Nest, a family run place and the food is lovely. Weather was fantastic for the two weeks except it rained on our last day.

You can walk all along the beach to the next resort of Skala Rachoni. You can get a bus to Thassos and also go to Kavala on the fast cat 30 mins and on Saturday they have a market. The roads are very quiet as well if you want to hire a car - we hired from Potos.

Have a good time
Hi there Pinocchio. Thanks for your message. Really looking forward to Thassos and the Socrates. Good news about the weather - I've heard it can be cool in May/June being one of the most Northerly islands. Were there many children staying at the Socrates. Hopefully, there will be when we go or our son won't be impressed :lol: . Will definitely try the Nest.
Hi Pargaluvva - there werent any children staying when we were there but maybe because it was a bit early. The beach is very narrow but the sea is perfect for children as it is very shallow for a long way out.

Have a great time. Ask Nick at the Nest to play his bazouka and dance for you - he was very entertaining.
Hi Pinocchio. Will post a review when we get back, although I am sure it will be great because the Socrates gets very good reviews.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.