Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
The Dolmus? Bus?
21 Posts
the costs are normally very cheap but do finish around midnight but cabs arn't too bad :tup
Hannah1992,

You're in for an experience if you've never used the dolmus before! You just jump on and sit down, no need to say anything. I think it's 1 lira (not used them for a while though!), you just pass your money to the front (driver) and shout when you want to get off. Be warned, they get cramped and it's amazing how many people you can get on them!

Darren
thanks for your replys :D very helpfull, and dazbo, thats what i am worried about (how many people), so if i wanted to go to la madri, when i see it what do i do?? xHannahx
Hannah1992,

Just waive your arms when you see one coming and they'll stop for you. Make sure it's going where you want (they have set routes) and just shout when you want to get off.

Darren
ok thanks, im probably doing your head in now, but how to i no which bus to get on? will they have something on the front sayin marmaris or icmeler or where ever??
xHannahx
i know they are not allowed to overcrowd them like they used to, im not sure about marmaris area but in fethiye area they are very strict :sun2
Marmaris is the same now, clamping down on anyone standing. Still very cheap. When the dolmus turns the corner at the Taj Mahal just ask to get off about 100 yds further up and you are almost directly opposite Le Madri.

Wilson ;)
Dolmus prices seem to vary from town to town. In Antalya they are 1.20 lira and here in Fethiye 1.50 lira.

If you cannot manage the Turkish to ask the Dolmus to stop when you get to your destination then please call out "stop please" and not oi! as I have often heard.

If you say to the driver the name of your destination when you get on, they will usually stop at your destination and tell you to get off.
Dolmus was 1.25 lira this year,they are blue and white.
The ones for Icmeler are white with an orange stripe!

Darren
And the dolmuses that run along the main road from Sitlier to marina are a light turquoise and white.
If you have a look at http://www.marmarisinfo.com they give all the information about dolmuses and lots more :wave:
hi can anyone help me i have been going to turkey for the last 12years this year i am going to marmaris again ,
i would like to see more of the real turkey just jump on abus and travel for about 1 hour and get of and look round i have been looking at datca ,
can i get a dolmus from marmaris to datca
how far is it
is it worth going it looks nice
and what color dolmus
Yes to your two questions, can you get a bus from Marmaris and is it worth going.
We did this about 2 summers ago, but we made more of a trip of it and found somewhere to stay for a night as well!

It is not a dolmus but a bigger bus, as it's a bit further. We bought tickets in the office by Tansas, then were told to get on a dolmus that took us to the bus station, which is at the top of the road Tansas is on, behind a petrol station.
If you are staying in Marmaris you can maybe go straight to the bus station. The longer distance buses have their destinations on them. I think it took about 1 hour or maybe a bit more.

Its worth doing just for the journey, the landscape changes as you start going down the peninsula. At one point you have the Aegean sea on one side and the Med on the other!

Datca is a proper working town, and it is much more Turkish than a lot of the holiday area. Whilst there we hardly heard or saw any Brits, there were quite a lot of nationalities as it is a popular boating place, with a great harbour.
We enjoyed a great evening eating in a restaurant overlooking the harbour, people watching and taking in the atmosphere. The choice of fish is also very good there.
Definitely worth doing, and you could do it very easily as a day-trip from Marmaris.
hi alfie
thanks for the info about the transport to datca ,
can you remember what the price was from marmaris to datca .
im also looking at trips to turunc,
would you have any info on that trip or is it more or less the same go in to the booking office next to the tansas,
if you can help me me it would be great.
tony,
Sorry can't remember how much it cost from Marmaris to Datca.
Going from Marmaris to Turunc couldn't be easier. There are dolmus' every 30 mins from outside Tansas (pay on the dolmus), or the taxi boat from near
Tansas every hour (it might be dolmus every hour/taxi boat every 30 mins), we never remember till we are there!!
The dolmus takes about 35 - 40 mins, and the taxi boat about 1 hour. Return on the boat is 15 TL, so not particularly cheap but it is a lovely boat trip (The official boats are run by the Turunc Co-operative, it may be a different price on a privately owned one). The dolmus is cheaper but sorry I can't remember how much.
It's lovely to go one way by dolmus, so you see the spectacular view of the bay as you come over the mountain, and the other way by boat.
Travelling around in Turkey is always so easy, public transport is very reliable and they do keep to their timetables.
Hope you have a good time!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.