General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
i would say about a month so they get a chance to do their stuff but if its less dont worry just take them anyway and make sure you use a factor 25 (at the least) lip protector as well. lindsay
I have been plagued by these for years too and remember when Zovirax was prescription only :(
These days I am liking Fenistil which contains penciclovir as opposed to aciclovir which is in Zovirax. I think I am immune to Zovirax now anyway and the Zovirax tablets didn't help either. The doctor was funny about giving me them and said they were only for people with shingles :really

http://www.expresschemist.co.uk/fenistil.html
  • Edited by Macca 90 2008-04-19 10:33:03
Hi Macca
I'm also wondering if I'm immune to Aciclovir now, so might try something with Pencyclovir in it next time (thats if the Lysine doesn't work) I'm off to buy some this weekend so fingers crossed it works :smile:
When using zovirax for persistant outbreaks get you doctor to give you 400mg twice a day for 6 months. The zovirax will get on top of the virus in time. The virus is active all the time even when there is no cold sore and you don't need a cold to pass the virus, its active in the skin. I have notice after shaving a cold sore can come up between lip and nose. A slight break in the skin, slap on the oxy spot and down it goes.

Try and get your immune system up.

What does scare me is you a need a organ transplant, the herpes virus is a big problem. Over 90 of the population carries the herpes virus and there is a lot research going because the problems the herpes virus causes. Just think how many people have had chicken poxs
I think if I need a transplant that would be the end for me, anti rejection drugs the virus would have a whale of time.
Got some Lysine yesterday and have started taking one a day, 2 weeks now to got to holiday so hopefuly will be in my system enough not to get a cold sore. How comes I never come across anyone else on holiday with a cold sore...always feel like Im the only one! Like John Merick!! Oh well hope this works along with the sun block.
how strange but true micky i dont think i have ever had a coldsore at the same time as anyone else!!!
wierd!! well i hope the lysine works as good for you as it does for me!! and have a great holiday.
lindsay
Vectovir!
A Doctor in Majorca prescribed this for a cold sore on my top lip that had developed into a massive blister. My GP had not heard of it but looked through a medical book & found it. I always carry a small tube and whenever a cold sore pops up (as mine does) I apply it regularly and it is gone within a couple of days.
Zovirax never had any effect on my cold sores.
Hi,

I got what I can only describe as sun blisters on my nose in Majorca this month - now, do you think these L-Lysine tablets would help prevent this. I do suffer cold sores when I get a cold or am particularly stressed or tired.

Your advice would be welcome.

Thank you all.

Deb.
yes Deb, i used to get the dreaded things there too and since taking lysine (2003) i have never touch wood had a single one. dont forget to have a break of a month between each bottle otherwise your imune system gets used to them. good luck getting rid of the nasty little blighters!! lindsay. :tup
Thanks lordy, my daughter has got me some from H & B today. I was plastering zovirax on it every half hour, took about a week to go completely! I did look a state :duh

Hopefully this will work for me.

Thanks again.
Deb.
you are very welcome. zovirax actually used to spread mine so i'm glad i found lysine it has been my saviour!!

lindsay.
Perfume gets rid of mine, although I have not suffered for years whilst away, as I am constantly putting nivea licare stick on to stop lips drying out..
kazza

almost what I was going to say, my old GP once recommended after-shave. The alcohol in it dries them up apparently (but it stings a bit!). I suspect it won't help stop them breaking out though.
I broke out in one this week and bought the compeed patches. Not cheap at just over a fiver but you get 15 in a box with a mirror for that and, best of all, they work! Zovirax just seemed to spread them on me but these kept it covered (which stopped me aggravating it with my teeth) and cleared it up within 2 days! I can kiss again! :)
well its holiday time again!! still touch wood not had a coldsore since 2003 and still taking the lysine tablets!!
where do you get lysine from please i suffer badly from outbreaks of coldsores i have never heard of it before till i read this post is it tablet or medicine do i need a perscription please help thanks
I'm getting married in Cyprus in may and I was dreading getting a cold sore. A friend of mine gave me some Lysine tablets which she swears by so I've started taking these, I have to chop them in half though as they are like horse tablets! Holland and Barrat is the name on the label.......so I guess that's who sells them. :tup
thanks for that cazmickntom, you beat me to it! glad they are working for other people too!!!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.