Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
Hi, I am staying at their sister hotel The Royal Playa del Carmen. There is loads of information on the Cancun forum on Trip Advisor. I did ask on here first, but there were no replies.
I know you don't need any reservations for the restaurants (well maybe Chef's plate), you just turn up and if there is a wait, they give you a walkie talkie, you go for a drink and they contact you when your table is ready.
You can use the facilities of the sister hotels - the Gran Caribe which is next door to the Royal, or travel down to Playa and use the Royal Playa hotel for the day..
It has amazing reviews (both of them). We are going in Sept, when are you going? Denny
Hi Denny,

Thanks for your reply. I have looked on Trip Advisor but they all seem to be American's not British reviews, and us brits are a bit more tolerant of things. We are going in November, can't wait. We saw the hotel last year when we were in Cancun and it looks fab.

Maz1406
Hi Maz

I've requested THE ROYAL IN CANCUN be added to the reviews ;)

Pippy :)
Hi,

Hope you don't mind me butting in on your conversations!!!
I too have been on Trip Advisor, and sometimes wish I had'nt because the reviews are terrible for some resorts and unfortunately most of them posted by the US Citizens.
I would like to ask, that we were looking at the sister hotel Gran Caribe BUT it appears it is not on a beach???? Which I have to say I find difficult to imagine :yikes
So, with The Royal being next door....woul that be the same too?
Any info wouls be fab
Thanks
x
As I understand it the beach at the Royal Cancun and Grand Caribe have been washed away, partly because of the last hurricane...... Happens to a lot of beaches in that area apparently.

Denny
Hi Maz1402,

We too are staying at the royal Cancun in November and have also been concerned about the recent reviews on Trip advisor. So much so that i emailed them 3 weeks ago regarding the matter to see whether the recent problems are being "iron out" as considering changing hotel :cry This is because we have had some bad experiences and are an unlucky couple. Basically if it's going to happen to someone, it will be us! No reply as of yet.

Who have you booked your hol with? If we get any information ill be sure to post it. :)
Hi Jodyager,

We have booked with First Choice, so hopefully everything will be OK. It looks like people that have booked direct are the ones being bumped. Anyway, we are pretty much the same as you, if its going to go wrong it will happen to us. I am going with an open mind and a determination that I am not moving anywhere until I get the room I have booked. I am going to make sure the First Choice rep is there when I book in, because if it goes pear shaped, they can sort it out. Let me know if you hear anything.

Regards,
Marion
Hi, I am going to the Royal's sister hotel(RPDC) in Sept. I have had a word with Thomas Cook re the overbooking situation. They assure me there will not be a problem as Thomas Cook ( and I'm sure First choice ) have a quota of rooms, that the hotel are not allowed to sell to others. Be sure to do the on line check in 48 hrs before, as those that have been 'bumped', didn't seem to do that.There is a response from the Royal Cancun on Trip Advisor, basically saying they are aware of the problem and are striving to make sure it no longer happens. Go on to the forum and read it. Hope this helps Denny
Hi Marion,

We are going with first choice too, so hopefully all will be well. Cant wait! :) May even see you there!

Jody
Hi Jody,

You never no, we go on 15th November, when do you go?
Hi Marion,

We fly on the 16th Nov from Manchester. Here's keeping everything crossed for a hassle free holiday!

Jody
Hi Jody, we will probably see you there, you can't miss my Husband he is 6ft 4" and bald, he is the one constantly walking around talking to people and and I am 5ft and don't move from my sunbed all day, expect to eat and swim. Hope you have a great time.
Hello All:

I to am looking for some reviews of the Royal Cancun. What I have read so far is that it can be a amazing stay if you can relax. I have been going to Cancun for 15 years now and even my least favorite trip was still pretty fun. I am going in late August so I should have a note for you all when I get back to Canada. I can't wait for the cigar bar!!

Have fun
The Mad Tatoo
Welcome to the forum! :wave:

Anyone wishing to post a review may do so HERE :tup

Pippy :)
Hi Guys & Dolls.

Me and my hubby are looking to book the Royal Cancun to renew our vows for June this year, However i am quite confused on which room to book?

We would like to stay in a Junior Suite Corner room which is fine as we have been qouted for this room by a travel agent, however i though i would see if it would be any cheaper to book the holiday our self direct on-line with First Choice Holidays, the problem is the wordings and descriptions of the types of rooms are different to those on the official website off the Royal Cancun. It is showing me a 'Junior Suite Cabana' does anyone know if this is the same as a 'Junior Suite Corner'? I am really confused :que

Please if anyone can help i would be very grateful.

Much Respect

Dee x
Dee

There are only (3) types of suites with designated cabanas, they are corner, swim up and presidential. We had a Royal Oceanfront, no dedicated cabana but it was lovely. We actually upgraded when we got to the resort, it was a lot cheaper, they quoted $80 per room per night on the on line check in, but we only paid $20 per room per night at resort.

Also, if you have a corner suite you can pick your own room when you do the on line checkin.

Have a great time, you will love it.
We just had a basic junior suite when we were there. All the rooms are ocean facing, and I think there is very little difference in them. Our friends upgraded but apart from being one floor higher there was no difference in the rooms! Thomas Cook also do the Royal but whether they are cheaper than First Choice (Thomsons) I don't know.

Denny
  • Edited by denny.53 2009-03-18 21:29:02
we are going to the royal cancun in april, cant wait, will let you know how good it is when we get back, :tup
We will be traveling to the Royal on Saturday (21st) :sun2

Were really looking foward to this trip as it comes highly recommended by some friends from the US.

If there are any specific things people wish to know we will do our best to answer on our return :tup
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.