EX-Pats and Owners Abroad

Discussions for EX-Pats and owners abroad or those who are considering this idea.
OK ... OK ...

The following is said in the nicest possible way ... this sounds to me like a touch of 'sour grapes'.

....All the big name agencies are so because they have made a lot of money.

That's the way the world works - whether you are talking about property, cars, sportswear etc etc etc .... or tins of baked beans.
It didn't sound like that to me Mike :D and I quite like the idea of using the smaller agents. If I didn't live overseas already I would think having someone on home ground so to speak, doing all the liaising with overseas agents would be quite comforting. :D
No sour grapes Mike. I would not be where I am today without the experiance I gained from both managing and selling for two of those big companies. My point is its only the big boys that manage to get to you through their couperate might. I am sure there are better tasting beans out there than the best selling brands, you just have to find them, as they cant find you so easy.

I am not saying I dont make a lot of money, I just go about it in another way. I treat all clients the way that I would want to be treated if I was the one buying overseas again. I dont think the bigger agents often put them selves in the buyers shoes!
While I agree it is nice to use a small 'local' company when you are buying something 'local' to you, when you are looking for property abroad most people have the sense to check out lots of different areas in the country they have chosen to buy in.

If you are only going to be shown what is local to the small independant agent you have chosen you are going to miss out on hundreds of properties that might better suit your requirements. Also most people can now access lots of properties through the larger company websites and feel that a larger company will offer a better protection in that if they employ dozens of staff or have more then one office they are unlikely to disappear with your deposit money. I know this is an unreasonable view because you do get better one to one service with a smaller company but people seem to have more confidence in the larger better established agencies.

After all presumably they did not get so big by being rubbish!
Suebf you have something the wrong way round here as a smaller agent I have more properties on than the big boys- they are more likley to be only selling what they are building themselves or developments where they can get very high commissions because of theır volumes.
I realise agents have to make money, and they can make life much easier for the potential buyer. I suppose its horses for courses. I purchased in Portugal and did a lot of research from my computer. I contacted a number of local agents and went house hunting, just like in the UK. I wont say everything went perfectly, it never does. But at the end of the day we got a lovely apartment at a reasonable price. DIY worked for me, and I would recommend other buyers do the same, where possible.
I hate to be 'picky' ... but there are a few things here that I either don't understand or totally disagree with:

The best advice I can give you is use an agent that is not out there.

Are you saying that someone sitting in an office thousands of miles away and in a different country from the proposed location has a better understanding of that location than someone who lives in that area?

I know this is an unreasonable view because you do get better one to one service with a smaller company

I'm sorry, but this is a sweeping generalisation which I totally disagree with. It wouldn't matter whether I worked for myself, a small company or a 'mega huge international conglomerate', it is my nature to give the very best 'service' that I can - and I just don't believe that I am the only person in the world to do this.

I treat all clients the way that I would want to be treated

Exactly - I couldn't agree more.
Bryn

I think you are right, but it is peoples perception of the bigger agents that draw them to them, you feel safer with a big corporate company than a smaller independant agent. After all some people are investing their life savings in a property abroad.

Having said that I brought an apartment in Gandia in Spain in 1982 from a guy in a bar! Personally I think companies like Atlas and Masa are the 'McDonalds' of the property market, the cafe next door does much better hamburgers but people go to what they 'know'.

We brought an apartment last year though one of the mid size spainish agents Medsea and found them to be brilliant. We had contacted smaller independants too and gone over ourselves to look around. But in end it came down to who showed us what we wanted to buy!
If the original posting had been thought out a little more, then the advice given could have been more constructive. But the way it is written gives a negative impression I feel.

The advice not to use overseas agents and use ones in the UK for example is one point made. Maybe using UK contacts for UK people to gain advice and information in preperation for a visit abroad, where you will collaborate with an overseas agent would be more fitting.

I have worked with UK agents (big & small) and overseas companies (big, even bigger! & small) and the situation is the same wherever. You have good and bad at any level and only experience of dealing with these people helps you sort this out. I have bought from big companies who have tried to rip me off and big companies who could not have been more helpful. The same for small companies and the same even for the so-called "bar agent" which is basically everyone else!!!!

No matter what is posted on these forums and the great information it offers, you will always have people who have lost out due to mis-selling of property. But if you can give constructive information them at least it gives people a chance to channel their thoughts in the right direction.

But on a final note, no negatives from me and never a moan to a member who has posted. Just hopefully, a little guidance!!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.