UK and Ireland Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the UK and Ireland.
My birthday is in November so we sometimes try to go away for the weekend - over the past few years we've been to York and Stratford upon Avon. Both have plenty of indoor things to do - museums exhibitons etc - ideal if the weather is not very good. We went to Skeggy once and it was a big mistake - definitely not a winter destination!
I came accross this site for touristy things to do in London as I'm down there in a couple of weeks. Well worth a look through.

http://www.timeout.com/london/museums-attractions/features/1496/6.html

Iain
Depending on dates ..........
Lord Mayor's parade in London?
Switch on of the Christmas lights in London?
Bonfire night with a good display, parkin, treacle toffee and meat and potato pie?

Visit to Oxford - very few visitors and the students are in term ....... also 'Cotswold country' nearby - Bourton on the Water, Snowshill, Burford etc
Hi

Thanks for all your responses.

I'm in Nottinghamshire, but am very willing to travel! I had forgotten about bonfire night... although dates aren't definite for when he's visiting. But if he's here for that, then definitely!! I've actually been thinking about asking if he would be able to come over in early December instead - as Lincoln Christmas Market will be on, and it would be good to take him to that as that's really good.

Will definitely be visiting London as I think he would really enjoy it. Thanks for the Time Out link Iain - some of those look really interesting. Now also thinking about going to York or Warwick or somewhere, that would be quite cool.

Have also thought about a trip to the Snow Dome in Tamworth to do some tobogganning - give him a taste of real snow and what it's like to be cold!

L
Snow Dome is great - just try and avoid Friday and Saturday evenings if you don't want to be swamped by kids! You can book in advance for a small charge if you want to guarantee a particular session.
Hi Laura

You're near me then (Derbyshire) and I'm going to be having the same problem. My boyfriend will be coming to England for the first time at the end of October/beginning of November (he's Spanish) so I've been racking my brain for things to do, that will (a) allow for the english weather and (b) not involve too much travelling as he's obviously going to be travelling here and back to spain again.

As well as Stratford/York, I have thought about Warwick Castle and Chatsworth.

I'll watch this topic with interest and post any other thoughts :think I get.
Louise
Hi we did a combined trip to Warwick Castle and Stratford in Feb a few years ago when we had relatives over from Oz, staying overnight in Stratford (got hotel cheap off Lastminute). We did a walking tour around Stratford which was really interesting and only cost a few quid each. We were lucky though in we got beautifully crisp sunny winters days for it. We also had 2 for 1 tickets for Warwick Castle which I see offered quite a lot like in the current Sainsburys promotions.
Have you considered visiting the Wedgwood Visitor Centre and Factory at Barlaston? Traditional English pottery, world-famous, and you can make your own pots and decorate them in the workshop area, plus enjoy a fabulous cream tea!!

Or take your visitor to Cadbury World ........... again a world-famous English product and with fewer schoolchildren visiting, it might even be more fun!!
Like the sound of Cadbury World - went years ago as a kid, so has probably changed a bit. Louise
National Museum of film and photography in Bradford. It's supposed to be fantastic, and has 3D cinema there as well. Entry to the museum is free, not sure about the cinema. More info here:

http://www.nationalmediamuseum.org.uk/

Louise
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.