Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
I've not stayed in Cozumel, only visited, but I think I am right in saying that First Choice are the only charter who fly there direct. Thomson & Thomas Cook will fly you to Cancun and then you are taken to Playa del Carmen to catch the catamaran to Cozumel. Would definitely try to fly with FC direct! The flight is about 10 hours. The best season weatherwise is December to May - the weather is good all year round but there is a hurricane risk between June and November, however the prices can be cheaper, especially out of UK school holiday times.
My Mum's just returned from Cancun (she'll be doing a review when she's fully recovered from the upset stomach and long flight) and she said she'd never go back.

Apparently the humidity was horrendous.
When they opened their balcony door the floor was wet in minutes, the mirrors steamed up and her hair went :omg :omg

I'm afraid her other reason for not wanting to return was the behaviour of almost every American tourist she came across in the hotel. She says she's never seen and heard such bad manners and downright racist comments from guests to staff (Americans to Mexicans).
Hi stayed at the Riu Caribe, 3 times in Cancun, loved the place, such a fantastic place to visit and so much to do, I visited Cozumel for the day and was not too impressed with the place, would consider staying in Cancun if I was you, we have visited in April and September and weather was very similar, yes it is very humid but you can cope with that once you see how fantastic the place is, I would consider going if I was you.
The comment above about Americans being very racist towards the Mexicans. A friend of mine went to Cancum a few years back and said he found the Mexicans were very unfriendly/standoffish towards tourists until they realised you were not American but were from the Uk then they changed completely. I know it's easy to generalise but have other people experienced this?
If you really want to visit the real Mexico I would recommend Puerto Vallarta on the Pacific coast.
Its totally different to Cancun which is over run with Americans and is very similar to Florida.
We visited Vallarta during the month of February and the weather was perfect,sunshine every day and low humidity.
I also prefer the Pacific coast but even there most resorts get overun eventually by people from North America and after a while everything changes in the resorts to answer the needs of these visitors. Luckily the coast is so long there is plenty of room to find unspoiled areas. I visited Mexico a few times in the 70's, 80's and 90's and loved it. The last time I spent time at a beach resort was I think one November,lovely weather and very little humidity, though it was on the Pacific coast, and I can't say I was impressed with resorts on the Caribbean side.
Sorry I got a bit carried away, I'm obviously not much help for someone wanting info. about Cozumel.

:( :duh
just have to add that whilst we had a truly unforgettable stay at the Excellance Riveria (just outside Cancun0 the only downside was the Americans. It seemed that their mission was to get slaughtered by 12 lunchtime and then entertain us all in the swim-up pool. Loud and obnoxious are two words that spring to mind - it wouldnt have been so bad if it was just the young set but I am talking up to 60+ year olds that thought it was cool to flick their cigar ash on the side of the pool cos they couldnt be bothered to get an ashtray! However we did get talking to a lovely American couple who themselves said they were embarrassed to be American!

We went late April and didnt find the humidity a problem would found their was no gentle "rise" and "fall" with the heat. The sun was either on or it was dark!
Me & my boyfriend (both of us are 19) and our 2 mates who are also a young couple (23 & 24) are going to Cozumel next month staying in holiday village white sands.

I have heard good things about Cozumel but will let you know all when i get back :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.