Tunisia Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tunisia.
Hi

I appreciate that I have already posted that I am thinking of going to Mahdia, which I am pretty made up with, but just wondered if anyone had any alternatives?

I have been on the net and visited lexicorient.com, which seemed to give a comphrensive insight (appreciate that this is just one person's view though).

I'm not after a tourist resort but would like a nice beach, authentic surroundings, close proximity to archeogolgical sites and some nightlife i.e. cafes & some bars if possible. Mahdia seemed to fit the bill the most, followed by Bizerte but as stated, just wondered whether anyone had any other suggestions.

Many thanks,

Phil.
I'm sure Jenny will come back to you regarding Mahdia as her and her husband spend six months there every winter.
Can't help with personal recommendations as I usually stay in Sousse or PEK but a French friend of mine used to go to Zarzis regularly and she absolutely loved it. I'm not sure if it has predominantly French visitors as I've not seen it offered in any English brochures.
Hi Philc - I actually live in Mahdia for 6 months every year and thought that I'd just clarify a few things. Mahdia is a traditional fishing town with very little tourist influence. The only bars around are the ones in the hotels and those are the only places that you will find any nightlife. There are a couple of excellent fish speciality restaurants in the port area, a couple of pizza restaurants and a good number of very basic 'local' restaurants selling bowls of harissa laden stew. We don't do a lot in the way of important archaeological sites either I'm afraid!
What we do have is the best beach in Tunisia, glorious clear water and friendly local people. We also have a famous fisherman's cemetery which is perched on the cliff overlooking the sea under the shadow of the huge fort. It is so beautiful and very special to the Tunisian people. We also have a huge traditional market every Friday.
From Mahdia, you can get the local trains to Monastir (1 hour) and Sousse (1hour 40 minutes)
Hope that this will be of a little help. All best - Jenny x.
Oooops! sorry PhilC. I answered your other post before seeing this one!
The Phenix hotel ia a new one completed 3 years ago. It is right in the town centre, but situated at a busy - so very dusty and noisy - road junction and not in a position I'd choose. I have priced this hotel for a rep. as her company was going to include it as an overnight stop in one of their Tunisian Tours. Compared with the hotels in the Touristique Zone, it is quite expensive, but sorry, I cannot remember to what degree.
If I remember rightly, the El Mouradi Cap Hotel is at the edge of the Hotel Touristique Zone, so about 4 kilometers from the town - a 3 star I think. If you want to be away from that area, there are several 'Tunisian' type small hotels in the town centre, which I imagine, will be very basic and not really geared up for tourists.
As far as we are concerned, Mahdias attraction is that it is not the usual holiday makers destination, but it does have a fantastic Arab feel about it. A hidden gem - a German guest once told me. Please do let me know if there is anything else I may be able to help you with. All best - Jenny x
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.