General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Helen i visited Tangiers many years ago and bought lots of leather bags for myself and as presents , they lasted and lasted , really loved them when the leather softened . just wondering , i can vaguely remember that they had a smell about them , not like the leather you buy here or in other countries , do yours smell ( in a nice way of course ).
Llindy - the red one is fine -the tan one stinks!!!!I was told it was made from camel skin - I can well believe it :D
A mexican football shirt !! Also brought bag a beautiful purse made out of sweetie wrappers, really unusual, love it !
My fave souvernir from this year's Goa trip is a big travel bag which is made out of bright coloured sari material - very boho :)
I think with any holiday..my favourite souveneirs are the memories and the photographs I bring back.

I used to be a git for collecting all sorts of tat that I didn't really want or need but couldnt resist getting..but now I try to be more disciplined.
I have a really old leather camel that came form Morocco years ago, when I was about 5! It is looking really tatty now and that really smells but even now it reminds me of that holiday. I'm sure that is made of camel skin too.
My inlaws brought us a leather pouffe years ago (can't remember where they had bought it) but it too stank of camels! We used to hide it away and only bring it out when they were visiting... :D
I bought a pouffe from Marrakech last November. Fortunately it does not smell, however , my sister bought the exact same one and it stinks, she has put it in the spare room in the hope that one day the smell will disappear.
Well I bought loads of clothes from Ireland when I went in Janaury and I treated myself to some smellies when I went to France on Saturday, not sure if that counts? I'm probably going to France on a couple more day trips yet, and saving up for Ireland again.
Not a souvenir as such but our son gave us a shopping liost of ice hockey equipment he needed and so while in Chicago we bought it all (it is half the price in the US). However kits is not exactly small and we had to purchase another case. However we found just what we wanted for $7 at the Unique Thrift Store and the money went to charity as well.
we used to bring home a souvenir from every place we went but ran out of space over the years :D I did buy 2 lovely bowls in Morocco a fortnight ago although I had no idea where I was going to put them.

i've filled one with Pot pouri and put it on the dining room table but the other's just sitting empty on my hearth. I might put a floating candle in it, if I can't think of anything else. Any ideas?
We bought a lovely vase from Hurghada last month, the man was making them out of granite. It cost us £50 but it was gorgeous. When we got home it was smashed to bits :duh :duh
Genuine Icelandic Ashtrays. Made in China.

fwh
Wood carvings, shell bracelets, sand 'paintings' and shells collected from the beach, all from Senegal. Plus some Baobab fruit powder to mix up into a drink.

Shirley H - re your second Moroccan bowl: fruit?, nuts?, shells? (if you're like me and keep bringing them back - I also have some from Antigua last year), sweets? I also keep buying stuff from places with no idea where I'm going to put them - Tunisia's lethal for me, I just can't resist the glass perfume bottles!
My fear is always that things will break.

We brought my inlaws a beautiful bowl back from Estartit a few years back.

We always bring ourselves back a fridge magnet and any friends/family that go away go with the same order.

Helen
I wrapped my two bowls up in my dressing gown and carried them in hubby's hand luggage which was large enough to hold them. They arrived back with us undamaged.
Some lovely clothes, flip flops, incense sticks, and lots of cashew nuts from Goa, as well as the memories :)

xx lassi
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.