Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
When we went to Marmaris last year we also encountered families out drinking themselves silly whilst their children ran riot. On one occasion we came across a very drunk young woman sprawled on the beach whilst her toddler ran around unsupervised, fortunately her mate was not quite so legless, though she was otherwise occupied with a very friendly local, and when we showed concern for the child we were told quite firmly where to go.
Is all very well to tolerate this kind of behaviour at home, perhaps we have just become apathetic to it through years of constant exposure, but exporting it to other countries is a bit rich, which brings me back to my original post and the fact that reputable holiday companies should not be encouraging this kind of behaviour, I mean yes we all know it goes on and will go on whether we like it or not, but putting an official stamp of approval on it doesn't help, and gives all Brits abroad a bad name.
:(
I think it is important to point out that there is alot of difference between people just having a few drinks and having a good time without harming themselves or anyone else, and people binge drinking and causing trouble or neglecting their kids.
Also am not sure that so many people who have replied to this thread insisting that it is holidaymakers own choice whether they get drunk or not, would also agree that the British taxpayers should then pay for the stress put upon the NHS due to binge drinking here at home.
Nobody wants to spoil anyone elses holiday by dictating how they should behave, but when that behaviour affects others enjoyment of their holiday or the welfare of children, surely something should be said about it.
Lol.
:think
Suzy, having read some of your other posts I take that you, like myself, are basing your experience on Marmaris, but am aware that many other posters may only have experience of other less rowdy resorts in Turkey and so feel our remarks are a bit extreme.
Sadly Marmaris has become what many in the tourist industry describe as a 'sink' resort, meaning that the majority of visitors go to 'sink' as much alcohol as possible, like some other infamous resorts in Spain and Greece, making Marmaris increasingly a no-go area for those who prefer to escape the binge-drinking culture of the UK.
But I realise that Marmaris does not represent Turkey, and that there are many other resorts where British holidaymakers find a healthy balance between drinking and enjoying the Turkish culture and history.
Personally it was my mistake to not research Marmaris thoroughly enough before booking.
Will try harder for next year.
I went to Marmaris (Club Aida) for 2 weeks from 21st June this year and can honestly say I never saw a single rowdy or drunk person the whole time I was there :think
Maybe I've been lucky, or is it that I always stay the other end to where Bar street is?

My parents usually stay at the Sunrise Hotel (Marmaris) in August & they just said they have never experienced this either :que I'm not saying it doesn't happen but maybe some hotels & area's are more prone to it than others :)
Don't go to party resorts if you don't like alcohol and drunk people etc. Go to the quieter resorts and then it is win/win for everyone.
I like alcohol and I don't mind drunk people (within reason) - hey, I've even been known to get tipsy myself LOL!! It's when people are completely over the top - throwing up in the street, ruining other people's holidays - that I get annoyed. What do you mean by party resorts - I like to party but I don't need to get absolutely trashed to do it.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.