Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
The first thing that jumps out here is "our room...to a single". How could they accept a booking for more than one person in a single?????

Have you got a printed brochure? If so does it offer the option of putting more than one person in a single? If it doesn't how do they explain you asking them for it?

The rest of it is a bit more complicated. It sounds like you're saying you gave them money and signed a contract promising them more without getting anything in writing for what they were supposed to be supplying you. Never a good idea.

Write to the manager of the branch immediately and state your case clearly and don't forget the booking reference number. Post it recorded delivery to get proof, also get a receipt from the post office. You are not paying any extra to "upgrade" to what you booked, you are not paying any further deposit until they correct their mistake, if they cancel the holiday instead of correcting their mistake you will hold them in breach of contract. They will delay answering, probably 28 days if the manager has been on "the course" but if that takes you past the deadline for paying it will be their fault. If that doesn't sort it you'll have to write to their Head Office in the same way.

Did you pay the first bit by credit card?
Thanks for the reply.

We did get a "Travel and Payment Details" form that shows details of the trip, costs, dates, etc. But it doesn't specify room type. We only received the full invoice including details of room type on Friday.

We booked with TC (to the same resort) for a trip last August, that trip went off without a hitch so I guess I assumed the same would happen this time.

I paid with Amex and unfortunately they won't be able to let me dispute the charge as they say the trip falls under a service. So it seems my only option is to try and escalate with the manager on Monday.

There is something in the small print of what they posted that says:

If any of the details shown on this invoice are either not correct, or are not in accordance with your reservation, then you must advise Thomas Cook within 14 days of receipt

Great statement, but it doesn't bind TC to actually do anything to solve such problems.

Any ideas? Has anyone ever gotten problems like this by escalating to an executive? EECB's (executive email carpet bombs) have worked well for me in the past.

Thanks
If you have the paperwork does it show how many people are travelling?

As far as I'm aware, they used to fill in a "search" criteria form when you went to the travel agents and it was kept with your booking details or handed back to you. Surely that must show there were 2 people looking for a holiday so how could they reserve a single room for your party?

Shell
Limassol, Cyprus
@Laura83: I booked the Rixos Sungate in Kemer near Antalya. It's a real gem and I can't recommend it enough.

@Cyprus100: It does show 2 adults and 1 child, but again there was no line item regarding the room type. In fact, their brochure clearly states that "all rooms are doubles that contain a balcony, rooms without a balcony can be booked for a discount". Now, the only discount shown in the original invoice was the so-called Payday sale, and that statement sounds very much like the default is a double.

Anyway, will be speaking with the manager today. If I don't get any joy I'll try to escalate to senior management.

Thanks
if the brochure says that all rooms are doubles how the hell can they say the basic price is for a single??? What would they have said if you'd asked for a single at the time?? This raises another question - have they actually booked the right hotel?
Hi,

I hope you have this sorted by now but in case not I will try and throw in some helpfull advice.

Seems to me that is there are 2 Adults and 1 Child travelling and yet you were booked into a single room according to the invoice sent.

This would lead me to believe that the advisor taking the booking failed to carry out her job with care and skill.

It was the advisors fault and clearly not suitable for what you asked, just politely metion to the manager that you really do still like booking through a travel agent as it is a personal experience and in these tough economic times for businesses you would not want to cancel your booking due to them being in breach of the supply of goods and services Act 1982. Also tell the manager that you understand she may not have the authority to authorise the request but you would be more than willing to talk to their regional manager to come to a resolution. (They love it when you say they cant do it because they dont have enough power, bit of reverse psychology and also if they know you want to go above them they may retreat because they do not want complaints about their store getting back to head office especially when a lot of shops for Thomas cook are on the chopping block).

Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982

Requires the trader to use reasonable care and skill and says that any materials or goods must be of satisfactory quality, fit for purpose and as described

Put a bit of pressure on them and you might just get a result. Dont let them fob you off, dont make a big scene in the shop, be polite and calm.

and most importantly let us know how you get on! :)
Having stayed at The Rixos Sungate ( before Rixos owned it ) I cannot remember seeing or hearing of any single rooms.We were only there for one night but all the single people ( from Brit Embassy Ankara ) all had double rooms.Having lived here for eight years I would say that it is very difficult to find a Hotel with single rooms.The original poster obviously wants peace of mind and should pursue the matter.

Ian
As a travel agent , it would be impossible on the systems to book a party into your size into a single . it more than likely is a invoice/system error but ensure that this is double checked , on the Thomas cook system it sometimes refers to a double that can be sold as a single with a supplement , and shown on the room description . However you have booked it as a double etc .
Hi All,
Sorry forgot to update the thread.

Long story short, I emailed the CEO and was able to get the situation fixed, at no cost. It was a small human error, but still I don't see why a repeat customer should have to email the CEO to fix problems like this.

Geoffrey
Glad to hear you got it sorted. Many thanks for letting us know :tup
Can someone please pass me contact details for a CEO in Thomas Cook. I too have been mis-sold something -
I have booked and paid for a Junior Suite, My paperwork says Junior Suite. The Hotel says I am in An Alhambra Suite (1 of 60), Not a Junior Suite (1 of 20),

Help........travelling next week, Branch hands seem to be tied!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.