Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
AskCy,

It was a technical problem with the No2 engine (engine failure) resulting in a high speed rejected take-off (110kt). As the An225 was not far behind, there was more concern with getting the aircraft removed before that landed as it needed the length of MAN's runway!

Darren
Cheers Darren

it was quite a boom and a big cloud left behind it... Yes the 225 could only land on one of the runways because of the turning room at the end so someone was saying..
AskCy,

That's correct, it would struggle turning at the end of 23L although possible with careful co-ordination. There's no parallel taxiway on 23L so is only used for landing traffic when absolutely necassary. It's also closed between 1030-1630.

Darren
My wife and I circled Manchester due to this incident on board Dreamliner `ALFIE` on her maiden voyage with fare paying passengers. The captain apologised to me personally and said we were minutes from being dverted to Liverpool.
We were there to see the big cargo plane coming in, but were doing some practice shots and stuff of interest as you go...

just looked back and found I got a couple more of Alfie coming in to land :-)

http://i.imgur.com/BIWW5wdl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/kQTOR8wl.jpg

Steve

:tup
cheers for those links...

is Simon Lowe something to do with the airport, as the view point seems to be very much the end of the runway ?
AskCy,

The place where Simon took that video from is easily accessible on foot. It's where the 05L approach lights are.

Darren
Hi Daz

Any idea what sort of impact this may have on long haul TC flights? I know their long haul fleet is pretty small and we are due to fly out Manchester to Vegas on 14th July.

I assume they will need to draft a replacement In? Any idea what they might use?

Many thanks

HD
harleydavidson1,

The long haul schedule is running pretty much to plan so nothing for you to worry about. The effected aircraft (G-OMYT) is back flying.

Darren
Dazbo HT Mod wrote:
AskCy,

The place where Simon took that video from is easily accessible on foot. It's where the 05L approach lights are.

Darren

Thanks for that... how far from the runway is it ?... or more to the point, if I were to find this spot, would I need a lens like a dustbin to get a shot ?... and is it public access ?

:que

:cheers

Steve
AskCy,

It's about 20 mins walk from what used to by Altrincham Lane where you can park in the lane just off the A538. Do you know where the river Bollin tunnels are under the runway? If you walk through the 23L/05R tunnel to the north side then follow the track up the hill on the left, you'll come to a farm track. The field where the approach lights are for 05L are in the field, through the gate on the right. It's publically accessible but make sure you close all gates after you. You can also access the area via Wood Lane but it's not easy to find via loads of country lanes. If you grab an OS map, the grid reference for the 05L approach lights is SJ 80290 82937.

Darren
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.