Tour Operators and Travel Agents

Discussions regarding Tour Operators and Travel Agents
Re: Thomas Cook
1042 Posts
Tickets

I've just received an email from Thomas Cook stating,

"As part of our programme to improve your experience when travelling with us, we wish to inform you that your tickets will be with you 5 days before your departure".

Surely this is not normal as it does not give you much time to rectify any mistakes that might be on the tickets.

As anyone else received this email and have they had their tickets this late?

I used T/C in June and had the tickets 2 week before travelling.

Ed.
My son had an e mail like this and when his tickets didn't arrive 5 days before he phoned them up and ended up going into collect them from the shop the following day.
I've just had a search on their web page, and it now states tickets will be received 5 days prior to departure.

It did say 7 - 10 days the last time I looked. :que

Ed.
Thomas Cook to axe 250 jobs

Thomas Cook has confirmed that it will shed six aircraft and 250 airline jobs by the end of the year.

The announcement, which was made to staff at Thomas Cook Airlines yesterday, will largely affect staff based in Manchester although crew based at other UK airports could also be affected.

A company spokesman: "We have entered into a 90-day consultation with employees who could be affected by the change; no decision about redundancies will be made until after the consultation."

At the same time, the operator is also consulting with staff about extending their working hours at calls centres in Peterborough and Falkirk, which would involve employees working Sundays and until later in the evenings.

Cook has asked 400 staff who currently work six days a week from 8am to 8pm to consider working seven days a week, until 10pm, on a shift basis.

Both the airline cuts and changes to the working hours form part of Cook's strategic review announced in May.

Chief executive of Thomas Cook Mainstream Ian Ailles said: "The fleet reduction is one measure within our overall strategic and operating review of the UK business and demonstrates the decisive action that we are taking to improve the profitability of our UK business.

"The airline review has focused on leases, seasonal capacity and mainstream tour operator demand, as well as operational efficiency and profitability."

Of the six aircraft, three A330s will be returned to their leasing company along with a narrow-bodied A320, a Boeing 767 will be shifted to Thomas Cook's German airline Condor and a fourth A330 will transfer to Thomas Cook Northern Europe.

Cook said the reduction in its aircraft did not mean it would cut capacity for summer 2012 as some of its flying was on behalf of third parties and some of its packages were based on scheduled flights.

The operator has already announced that its winter 2011/12 capacity will be cut by 5%.

With permission from Travelmole
Thomas Cook Flight Magazine.
Can not get this on pc,tried different ways which have been
recommended.
What we want to know is prices of cigarettes & spirits. :que
Any help from anyone appreciated. :tup
Hi yorkieborn ... you need to subscribe to view the magazine, have you already tried that ?
http://www.ink-live.com/emagazines/thomas-cook-travel-magazine/subscribe

This email address was previously supplied by Danni at Ink Publishing for anyone who is experiencing registration problems:
danni.wallace@ink-publishing.com

David :wave
Thanks David,
I will try that one. :cheers
We were considering Turkey of Summer 2012, but I have to say I'm quite shocked and dismayed at the price increases from last year.
Looking at my scribbles in last years TC brochures from around this time last year, flying Belfast to Bodrum, family of 4 - numerous places available with prices starting from around £1500
For comparable dates for Summer 2012 I am really struggling to get anything under £2000
eg, the Jasmin Beach, Gumbet, which we nearly booked last year, is up in price by almost £1000!

Is anyone else feeling priced out of the market and does anyone know if there are likely to be any sales / promotions coming up?
We had the same - after returning from Majorca we went to re-book and found that the same holiday/flights etc had risen by approx £500 from last year and the luggage allowance had dropped from 20kgs to 15kgs.

Shopped around as you do, but only Thomson & Thomas Cook do the hotel we required - Thomson were quoting an extra £2,500!!! more than Thomas Cook :yikes :yikes . Rang Thomson to see if there was a fault with their website, they said they would ring me back, as yet, 3 weeks later still no phone call.

On the off chance I tried Direct Holidays which is under the same umbrella as TC. They quoted the same holiday £280 cheaper than TC with the 20kgs included.

Rang my local TC who we always book with. They matched the price, included 20kgs luggage allowance and chucked in your seat your choice as a gesture of goodwill!! Been watching since we booked and the prices have still been creeping up and up so in my opinion I don't think that prices will come down.
:que
The travel agent couldn't do much better than the on-line prices, but -
First I discovered that if I book Thomas Cook flight only, and book my own accommodation and transfers separately I can save a few hundred quid, even for the same accommodation that TC offer. (No rep / package security etc, I know, but have done DIY loads of times before so doesn't worry me)
Then, I discovered that if I searched on travelsupermarket or skyscanner and connected to flythomascook from there, the flights came up £69 each cheaper!!!! Can't understand how that works, but I'm not complaining - just saved £276 for family of 4. Haven't decided where to stay yet, but we can afford up the budget now.
Happy days!
Apologies if I've missed a similar previous thread.

Selected branches (including our local shop) of Thomas Cook are now no brochure on shelves for a trial period.

You can have the relevant pages emailed to your inbox for downloading.

They want customer feedback on this as part of their market research.

Not for me, thanks - I prefer old fashioned paper copies to see what's on offer.

Does anybody have further information on this move ?
Suppose it's all down to cut backs as they have suffered a bad year or two!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-15103794

http://news.sky.com/home/business/article/16079312

However I think that removing brochures from shelves is a BIG mistake - what they and many business's/tv programs/radio shows fail to realise is that not everybody has or wishes to use a computer.

Both of my parents (divorced) have plenty of holidays, neither own or know how to use a computer.

My Dad has to go into every little detail when booking a holiday and the thought of him coming round to my house to look at brochures on my computer :yikes !!! fill me with dread. He would literally take about 6 hours viewing brochures with me having to press all the buttons!! :cry :cry .

Will have to use the old adage 'computer says no' :rofl
Speaking from a personal point of view, I can't remember the last time I looked at a holiday brochure :yikes
I just look on the internet and read the parts I want, but I appreciate that isn't what everyone would want.
Brochures are expensive and as soon as they're printed the prices are out of date, and flight times change.
The stores may not be racking brochures, but they will have at least a file copy of every one. When I worked in travel even if we had none to give out, we would gladly photo copy pages of any properties the customer was interested in.
I have read on another forum about Thomas Cook pulling out from Icmeler in Turkey. Find this a bit surprising as Icmeler is only one of numerous resorts in the area. I couls perhaps understand if they were pulling out of Dalaman and the surrounding resorts. Anyone shed any light on this or just another interweb rumour

Stewart
Some relief for Thomas Cook to keep them going over the winter period which should enable them to keep within their lending covenants. Their other cuts to staff, aircraft and offices will go ahead.

today's Guardian article HERE
Hi :wave:

Can anybody provide the link or tell me where to find the Booking Conditions for a Thomas Cook holiday? I have had a look on their website and can't find anything that would confirm the following that happened to me this afternoon.

I had been watching a holiday on the Thomas Cook website for several days and the price remained the same so I decided to book it today.
The holiday is for next October to Turkey and I as we use the Coop Travelcare I phoned them and they checked the system said they couldn't beat the online price but would book it at the web price, so we booked it and paid our deposit then a few hours later Travelcare phoned up to say that the Thomas Cook web price was wrong and as it was within 48 hours of booking Thomas Cook had the right to cancel as per their booking conditions, so we have a choice of canceling or paying an extra £600 each :yikes for the holiday.

I can't find anything on the TC website that states they have the right to cancel within 48 hours of a booking can anybody point me in the right direction or advise.

Thanks
Graham
They are covered in their website 'site terms and conditions' although rather tenously IMO, but I haven't noticed anything in their booking terms and conditions.

The package regs Section 11 may have something in that helps
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1992/3288/regulation/11/made
Thanks Sunaddict :tup

All I could see was a mention of 48 hrs to meet a price promise but no mention of 48 hrs for them to cancel :que
I think the package regs are saying that any term in a contract to the effect that the prices laid down in the contract may be revised isn't valid unless it meets the criteria laid out in Section 11 paragraph 2.
So even if TC can point out where their terms and conditions say they are covered, the package regs might make it null and void.
I would press the Co-op to point out exactly where TC have the 48 hour thing covered. If they can't, they need to get TC to point it out to them!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.