Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
thomson destiny
880 Posts
I'll let you know in two weeks time. Just booked myself on the Destiny AGAIN!!! What is wrong with me, I just can't seem to get away from this ship LOL
But now I know you know the answer yourself because you were onboard as well! That was so funny!

I think its time we gave in and tried the Dream next Jackie!
:rofl we really got to stop meeting like that jess!

nope jess im sticking with my destiny :cheers

going to go again on 29th sept :really
Not booked yet but seriously contemplating or second cruise
Feb 24th Colourful Coasts on Destiny....anyone done this one?
If you put "colourful" into the Search box at the bottom of this topic, there are mentions of it in this topic. There is also a separate topic HERE

luci :wave
Thanks Luci....change of plan as we are going with friends we met on the last cruise.....we are hanging on a bit now as Thomson have just hiked the drinks pack up from £49 pp to £199 pp
Whey hey we're going on Destiny, never been on her (is it a her or a him :think )

So having done Celebration and Spirit to death now over the past 7 yrs :oops: we are going to give Destiny a go, so whats it like anything much different to the two above and anything to watch out for on it.
Hi furbag
We lover her and I think you will if you like the Thomson set up, but she is very tired, we have done all the Thomson fleet over the last ten years or so.
Particular likes in our case are the Oklahoma lounge, which we think is the best of any, also love the Sky bar, you will be allocated seats for dinner which we have never had a problem with and if you prefer to be on your own they do have ‘twos' and you can have early or late sitting.
Dislikes are mainly the cabins they are very small with ‘L' configuration for the beds, which is not good, we have been a couple of times in the deluxe which are fantastic but very expensive especially now we are retired, think if we went on her again we would go deck 6 inside but that's just a personal thing, we also don't like the Lido café.
I think, after trying the Dream we now prefer it to Destiny, but they both have good and bad points and we are looking at Destiny for next year in the Adriatic, which we love, after our Caribbean cruise on the Dream early next year.
If you do have any specific questions just ask but I would recommend you read the reviews as they usually give a good idea of things to come
Good luck :cheers
Roger
Reviews of the Thomson Destiny HERE

luci :wave
Yep checked all the reviews out ;)

Thanks Rodger, one reason we didnt go for Dream was I wasnt convinced they had fixed all the problems.

It will be interesting to see what we think, we actually liked the Lido cafe on the other boats and only dinned at the restraunt twice per trip (once for the captains and once just to see what it was like) but we found it was all a bit too slow, and the food was pretty much the same just you had someone bring it to you rather than you went and got it, we liked the fact you could breeze into the Lido whenever grab some nosh and then off to do something else, we tend to be grazers rather than the whole formal thing, but each to their own :tup

Not too fussed about cabins, not like you spend much time in them, although we have booked ours as we like to be at the very front of the boat and low down, many dont like these areas cos there noisey with the waves but we find it rather soothing, certainly better than the engine end ;)

Hints and tips wise its more about quiet lifts, queues at peak times in areas etc we found a sneaky little lift on both Celeb and Spirit that no one used much which was handy during peak times and also the fact the brekkie buffet at the lido ran two queues which many folks never worked out :rofl

Looking forward to the trip
Hi again furbag

The Lido is nothing like the one on Spirit/Cel but you can have self serv for breakfast in the main dinning room so you have lots of options. Never had a problem with lifts but we did on the Dream, but as you say you soon find a lift that most cruisers have missed.
Roger
Your not wrong there Rodger, sorry for the delay in the reply :whoops

Wow isnt she different but not when you compare Destiny to Spirit/Celeb, quite liked all the nooks and crannies that you can hide away in, we kept finding new little areas we never knew where there

Certainly not a ship for the disabled I'd say, while its not impossible for a wheelchair user or someone not good on there feet to get about there are areas that arnt easy for them and there did seem to be lots of little 3 or 4 step stairs about, we were fine but did end up helping a few of the less mobile ones about due to the Ships rambling ways :)

The Lido as you say was odd being pretty much located "outside" which did on an occasion make for slightly chilly dinning but on the whole we found a secluded spot, we only did the main restraunt twice, once on captains and one other time, both times not really that impressed, foods fine but being lumbard with just what they serve isnt my style, I like to have a pick at everything and then go back for more ...and more ....and more, the restraunt was just to restrictive for us as they didnt seem to be able to cope with the fact that I'd like another starter after my first one, because I liked it, this then appeared to hold up the rest of the tables food :que One reason we dont tend to do the main dinning thing and the fact its timed like the other ships, we like to eat ...when we're hungry, not when they think we are :rofl

Anyhow certainly will look forward to getting back to her again soon :tup
Hi all
Just noted the Destiny is being replaced this May with Thomson Magesty people booked on the Destiny will be moved to the new ship, you can Google details but it looks a nice ship sim to the Dream. We will be sorry to see Destiny go but she was getting a bit old but it will, i think, still be sailing under the Louise flag,

Roger
Thats a shame, only managed one trip so far on the Destiny and I rather liked her, I'm going off Tomson with their "lets look like everyone else" feel :(

The whole appeal for us was the quirky older style ships, rather than the tower blocks that sail the seas these days, I have to wonder how long Spirit and Celebration will be kept in service at this rate :que
Does this mean the Cruise ending on 4th May will be the decommissioning cruise, with special parties. Or will they be running the ship down, and not maintaining bar stocks?
Don't know exact dates but reports say that Louis Majesty will be chartered to Thomson Cruises from May 2012 and be renamed Thomson Majesty. The ship has a bit of history and was the one hit by the 'big' waves in 2010 which i think killed two passengers have a look on wikipedia

Roger
:( :( so sad about destiny iv cruised 9 times on her
she might be old and tired looking but our cruises were allways brill :cheers
:cry :cry
Hi jackie scotland
We have also been on her lots of times but have just returned from a Dream cruise our second on this ship and found it just as good with better cabins i know some passengers have had bad times on the Dream but both our cruises have been great so we will try the new (to Thomson) ship.
Roger
we have booked the dream for 23rd june roger :cheers

but im going to really miss the destiny we had amazing times on her and staff are ace too :(
thomson havent even told staff onboard just now abt the change of ship in corfu coz i just txted a waiter freind and asked him lol
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.