Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
First and foremost:

Did you complete a complaint form in the resort?

Mark :)
Having been to corfu- many times (Infact every year for past 3 years)- I can assure you it is much cheaper to book your trips with the local agents. For example a boat trip we booked cost 18Euro locally- with thomson it was 42E. So quite a difference in price.

Good luck persuing this- but I really doubt you will get anywhere-

Belly
I think the most you'll get is an apology. The rep informed you the evening before for 2 of the trips the 3rd one you cancelled. Which resort in Corfu where you staying & what are the details of the 2 cancelled trips?
I agree with the others I'm afraid. As far as your trips are concerned they are allowed to cancel if there isn't enough interest. As far as the rep turning up like a schoolgirl is concerned, she may have been about to embark on an organized fancy dress bar crawl (18-30 type) that she was leading for other customers. As for them ignoring most of the points in your letter, I think it would have helped if you could have made your letter more to the point as a 5 sided A4 size letter wouldn't have been met with much joy to say the least.

I'm sorry that the advice you've received from us won't be what you want to hear and I do sympathize with what happened to you but looking at it from Thoimson's point of view, I'm afraid you won't get very far unless I'm completely wrong :que
A 5 page complaint - I'm not suprised that it didn't get read in full! Far too long.

I'm not really sure what you want Thomsons to do. I'm sure they are within their rights to cancel excursions if there are not enough takers. I'm sure you could have arranged something else and as for having "nothing to do for half the holiday" I find that hard to believe - a litttle bit of initiative goes a long way. I certainly don't think you can claim for "compensation for a spoilt holiday".

Remember that Corfu can be a 'party island' and as such I suspect the rep was involved in the 18-30 type events which is probably why she arrived in unusual dress.

You start off by saying this was a 'budget' holiday - perhaps that is where the problem lies.

Pippa
With respect, you have fallen into the trap of giving them a detailed explanation of what went wrong. Something many do. The whole point of making a complaint is to keep it as short and sweet as possible. If they want to know more they will ask.

Your problem with the rep mirrors in some way our experience earlier this year in Turkey, although ours was being able to make contact. The 28 days is standard, and quite reasonable in many cases as they need to gather information before they can reply. The fact that your letter was lost in inexcusable. My letter, that was one and a half pages covering three areas of complaint was handed in at the branch, copied by them and forwarded on. The whole thing took 7 weeks and resulted in a voucher for £100.

Personally I would start again on this. Take you 5 pages and edit it down - drastically - One page should cover it and a brief covering letter asking them if they will reconsider their response.

Yes trips do get cancelled but the fact they make such a great deal about the advantages of booking with them rather than the agent down the street does, in my opinion, place a responsibility upon them to try to transfer you onto another TOs organised trip. Something I have known happen.

The rep is your point of contact for "any problem" and the fact they are no longer with the company indicates that others also have complained. Not your concern. The TO has a responsibility to provide the service they advertise. They failed to do so.

Have another go at them - going to ABTA will not solve anything.

fwh
Thanks for your quick responses all and for your advice.

The five pages were too much as you quite rightly point out. The trap I fell into was to follow the instructions of the high street manager, who told me to go away and write it up word for word as we had just explained it to her in a rather lengthy meeting, which is exactly what I did and which of course was also therapeutic to a degree I suppose. In retrospect though bullet points would have been far more appropriate.

As to the issue of trip cancellations. The poor customer practice aside, this was never really the issue. Rather it was the way it was dealt with and the fact that we were informed too late to arrange alternatives. On both occasions we went straight down to the town and visited the two or three travel agents on the main drag, only to be told that we were too late to book anything. On the second occasion we were able to book a trip in advance, having already canceled our third excursion (suspecting it would go the same way as the others had) and so on the Thursday I think it was, we got to go island hopping. :)

I don't have any doubt that legally Thomsons are within their rights to cancel under subscribed trips, but this isn't really the point either. It's either Thomsons policy to advice customers of canceled trips at the last possible moment, or their procedures are inadequate for collating and returning information, or it was a failure of the rep concerned to provide proper customer care. Either way we were left high and dry and without any attempt at onward support from Thomsons.

Pippa mentioned that perhaps the fact that it was a "budget" holiday (about £500 in all, not really "budget" to us but obviously the cheaper end of the scale in wider terms.) and I think that's hit the nail squarely on the head. I can't deny that the experience left us feeling that as customers were were unimportant to Thomsons. I guess it's fair to say that like the song, "you get no bread with one meatball". :D

As to the schoolgirl thing, well she was certainly heading out to a themed party. Our problem there was that she was in such a rush to get away that no effort was made to help us resolve the problem. No time taken to make suggestions. In short no customer care.

Oh and it was Kavos in answer to Glynis's question.

Many thanks again for all your replies. As Shirly mentioned, perhaps not exactly what I was hoping to see, but none the less invaluable "feet planted firmly on the ground" advice. So definitely what I needed. :tup

All the best

Badger
I'm sure our members will appreciate you accepting the advice given in such a positive manner, something we rarely see on here.

Too many people take exception when the replies they receive are not what they are hoping for and go as far as accusing the members of having other agendas or being in the pocket of the tour operators. That gets tiresome after the umpteenth time.

I hope that by taking the advice on board, and submitting a brief outline of the problems, you get a satisfactory response and result.

luci :wave
Good post Luci, I totally agree and wish Badger the best of luck.
I would not recommend taking this complaint to ABTA Arbitration or to a county court, or you will find yourself incurring extra expense when you lose. The excursions were outside the package and not part of a contract, and I assume you received a full refund?

You will have to put this down to experience.

Sorry

CSM :D
Just echoing what other have said really - I cant see you getting anywhere with this.

Whilst the amount of money you spent on a holiday shouldnt really come into it, the fact that you were in Kavos in a peak time for youngsters going clubbing (im assuming that you went in July judging by the timescale?) I wouldnt be surprised if you were indeed the only people to have signed up to a trip! And id imagine the reason why you werent notified about the excursion until the evening before is because they were hoping for some latecomers to sign up - if they'd have told you 2 days or so before the trip was about to take place, you probably would have been a bit peed because they werent trying!

Yes it is unprofessional for the rep to have turned up to the morning meeting hungover, but 98% of the Kavos tourists were probably in the same condition!

Try Thomsons one last time with a much shorter letter and see what happens. If they offer you £50 of your next holiday just to get you out of their hair, i'd probably take it as I really see this as something that you could take any further.
:offtop What I find really infuriating is that the TO's make such a play of how much safer and better it is to book all excursions through them and imply that we will be at the mercy of rogues and vagabonds if we book with the locals or 'go it alone' using local transport. The truth is of course that much of their income comes from these trips.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.