Spain - Canary Islands - Lanzarote Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Lanzarote.
Thx Madsue! :thanks
Sounds great & I think i'd opt for the 'easy' one too.
Must get 'on the ball' & try & organise this as it seems to be the only way to see the park on foot.
The Lanzarote landscape looks quite amazing. Can't wait altho am hoping for quite a lot of this :sun2 too!
Thanks for the flowers TM ;) I have to say again, if you want to go on this walking tour you do HAVE to phone from UK and book it, it's not offered via tour companies. Even if you don't get to do it, I really suggest you take the Timanfaya tour anyway, as like you say the landscape is amazing :D
Just to update: have booked the walking tour & it was so easy. Will just need to ring & confirm when we get there or we'll lose our place.
Madsue: ordinary trainers would be ok? Or any reasonable closed in shoes as I don't want the weight of walking boots in my case?
Yep trainers will be fine, I'm sure, they just need to look "sturdy"! I had shoes which I was told were not suitable, luckily I had shoved a pair of boots in the car, just in case!

I'm so glad you managed to get on the tour, it really is a great walk! :)
Just to update for anyone interested in walking in Timanfaya Park:
The only way to do this is on an organised walk. There is a free one organised by the park rangers for small groups, but you must book ahead & bring your passport with you.
The walk is about 3 kms, so quite short but our guide was very informative and we had frequent stops for explanations of the geology. It was very enjoyable and not strenuous as it took almost 3 hours which included transport by mini-bus there & back.
As long as you have closed in footwear you'll be fine. Walking boots aren't necessary but the terrain is pretty harsh & I'd recommend trainers at the very least as they have thick soles.
Bring a light weatherproof jacket as it rained a little bit on our day & is very exposed so can be windy.
For the more energetic there is a much longer walk, although I think it's organised by a private company and is not free.
Enjoy!
My first post in a good few weeks (I've been without a phone line :( ) So glad you enjoyed the walk, and the island as a whole :tup

Did you have to reconfirm your booking once you arrived on the island?
Hi Madsue!
Yes we were given a date that we had to phone & confirm or we'd have lost our place. Seems so long ago now :(
Hi, we just spent a week in C/T. Did the southern tour (fire mountain) on Friday. (Bus Tour) It was amazing. We loved the views. The history etc, Would def recommend this excursion. Kids enjoyed it too. ;)
Hi guys and girls.

I have been told by many that a trip to The Timanfaya National Park is a must while in playa Blanca but could i ask what the best way to do it would be and a rough guide to costs.

Should we book on a excursion that takes you there and back? if i did this whats the travel like from playa blanca to there , how long it takes and also cost of excursion.

OR

Should i get a return taxi there and again what price would i expect to pay taxi each way and whats the cost to pay on the door of the park to get in .

also whats the opening times

thank you before hand of any replies we get

Darren and Verna
Personally I'd hire a car, the drive through the national park is worth it on it's own. There is also an excellent free visitor centre at the far end on the road to Mancha Blanca that the excusrions don't visit. From PB it takes about 15 - 20 minutes by car or taxi, I'm not sure how much a taxi would cost, maybe about 20e each way. The entrance fee to the actual volcano trail is about 8e, including the coach tour of the volcanos. An excursion worth considering is the one including dinner at the horse ranch and then time in Puerto Calero shopping. I'm not sure how much but I seem to remember it being about 90e for 3 of us about 4 years ago, this also includes the volcano trail.

But, for me, the hire car is the best option. In fact when we're based in PB we always pick the hire car up at the airport and drop it back there to save on the taxi fare to and from the airport.
Playa Blanca is on the southern edge of the volcano park. I'm guessing that a taxi would cost around 15 to 20 Euros one-way.
For the rest of your info see here...
http://www.lanzaroteisland.com/en/places_of_interest/national_park_of_timanfaya/
Hello, can you drive round the park freely or do you have to park up and get on a coach.

Thanks

David
Can someone clarify the admission fee, is it €8 per car or per person.

Thanks
There is a road through the national park that you are free to drive but if you want to do the tour of the craters you have to go to the visitor centre and go on a coach.

There is also a free visitor centre on the road out of the park towards Mancha Blanca.
The admission fee is per person, and not per car :)
were off to lanza on the 2nd of june and were going to hire a car for a couple of days, were planning on visiting tinmanfaya by car. We have been there years ago, but the last time we went on a organised coach trip,were now planning on driving and would like to know if you can just turn up at timanfaya and watch the the demostrations at any time? And how much it would cost? does anyone know? thanks
Yes, you can just turn up at the Timanfaya National Park with your car. You may have to queue at the entrance, but it shouldn't be too long. I think it is 8€ per person to enter, you drive your car up to the parking area, and then go and look at the geothermic demonstrations in your own time. There are also buses up there for those not on organised tours, so keep your ticket, show it to the bus driver and you then are taken around the volcanic route.
thanks sue, can you also tell me if they still do the camel rides? is that included the price of the 8 euros? thanks
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.