Spain - Canary Islands - Lanzarote Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Lanzarote.
Hi all,

I have a question that doesn't seem to have been aired. We want to visit the volcano site and we want to drive there in our hire car and then take the coach around the 'hotspots'. My rather specific question is in two parts:

1) What signs do we follow? We've seen signs to Timanfaya Park and to Volcan - are they both good? What should we put into our Sat Nav?

2) Hubby suffers badly from vertigo. Obviously the coach trip itself could cause concern but hopefully it can be coped with. More problematic could be the drive there - it's so easy to chicken out of that and that would be a real shame. Is it an easy route? Is there one route that is easier than others? BTW we're staying at Teguise (Villa, not Costa).

TIA

Sheila
Hi SheilaW :cheers

Not sure about how to answer your question 1. I have no idea where you would have seen signs that say Volcan?? Or even Timanfaya Park, really :) And sorry I can't help re satnav.

Question 2. The drive to the National Park is an easy one, whichever way you go. From the Villa de Teguise,you could first go to Famara, then on to Soo and approach the Park from that end, or you could go straight towards San Bartolome, then through La Geria to Uga and then into the National Park. Probably the easiest would be via San Bartolome.

I'm a bit unsure about how vertigo affects people, is it only heights that cause a problem? If so, then yes some parts of the coach trip around the volcanoes could be difficult. The drive there though, is mostly relatively flat.

HTH :cheers
Hello madsue,

Thanks for your prompt reply - it was indeed useful but I didn't want to spend valuable holiday time replying! :)

Now I can tell you that I did find my way to where it all happens, though I was surprised that the first place I found was the visitors' centre but there was no volcano there! Still, 4km further on and we were there. It was fabulous!!! The coach trip is a REAL trial for vertigo sufferers :( my husband had his eyes shut for quite a bit of the time, but still says he wouldn't have missed it for the world. Back at the coach park we stayed for lunch which was a bit overpriced if you just consider the food but as an experience, at a table right by the volcano's "performance" area, it was unforgettable. :tup

We called in at the visitors' centre (again) on the way back and that was great too - films, simulations, etc were all very informative. All in all, a superb day out.

BTW: the sign to "el volcan" was in Tahiche. Perhaps a local restaurant? Anyway I found the right place on my SatNav.

Sheila
Glad you had a good time, and glad you found Timanfaya :cheers I agree, the food is overpriced, but still a nice experience to eat there overlooking everything. If you liked the Visitors Centre, and you come again, make sure you take one of the walks through the National Park that they do. You do have to book ahead, but it is really interesting.

Volcan de Tahiche is just an area of Tahiche!!! But you know that now :)
PS, The children you saw in the film at the Visitors Centre include my son and his class! He is 28 now so you can see how old the film is!!!!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.