Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Thats exactly why I wont go now.16years ago my friend went to Goa and loved it so I decided we would go,however my husband wasnt keen and we ended up going to Florida around that time.It is my biggest regret not going then as I cant imagine going to a place like Goa with the football strip clad chavs that seem to go now.The nearest I got to India was a stop off in Bombay on the way to Singapore.
O DEAR ...O DEAR...O DEAR
Jay could be forgiven for thinking that if you look at recent threads.
The Spanish Costas weren't always "full English" and karaoke, you know.

Things change from the minute the first tourist arrives, whether they're hippies or neds (chavs if you're English). That's 'progress.'

I've a friend who has, in the past, bemoaned the pace of change in his favourite part of Thailand. The irony of him running a real estate business in this former nirvana was lost him - and he's got his sights set on the next unspoilt paradise.

Things change because we 'demand' it, consciously or subconsciously and, because the locals everywhere see potential earnings that we bring with us.
  • Edited by GeeDubya 2007-02-27 21:19:02
Your right GeeDubya. Maybe it is a pity that things need to change. But there is a simple answer, if you dont like the place anymore, dont go back. There are many more parts of the world to explore.
Sorry if I offended any Goa lovers but I read all forums and have read about regular holidaymakers to Goa comment on the "type" of people going now,and how the place is changing albeit not for the best.
no Jay- no offence taken. We do have a few negative posts just now but you'll find most of them will return to Goa :lol: It has to have something going for it- I can't imagine not liking a place and then returning to it. It does have a big draw. My favourite place Thailand is a bit like that- places you liked to begin with are changing. All change is not bad and if you don't like that particular resort there will be another good one to find.
  • Edited by Fiona 2007-02-28 08:19:11
Fiona is right. There is still a Goa for everyone. The quieter/simpler places are getting harder to find, but they are still there. You won't find many in Candolim, Calngute or Baga though.
Thank you gramps and GeeDubya,for your observations they are spot on (IMO)
Now where can I find the best cup of Indian Chai ?
I was in goa 33 years ago, right next year to hippie event. there were many young people singing in groups and smoking pot on othervise deserted beaches.
I'm going back on 18'th of march and not beiing naive, i go there not to find goa that was there once. I'm going to goa that is there, to meet people, visit places and to admire the amazing nature of the region. if you scratch the surface this is still goa that has been there all the time. you have to look little deeper to see and enjoy. if you are not ready to accept the changes in you, in world and in goa, then it will be waste of time.
i, personally think that the people of goa are 8'th wonder of the world.
i will go and will have most enjoyable holiday.
happy elephant, 18 sleeps to go and counting!
(sry my spelling and grammar, english is not my native language)
it may not be your native language - but what a great first post! :D Welcome to the Goa forum!
Well said Elephant, have a brilliant holiday :D
sorry if my recent posts seem negative but I deal with these type of people most weekends and have seen the decline in this country. we have been regulars for 5 years and we find something to make us return evry year. if its a case of leaving the greedy bars to their own devices then so be it. all I will say is for those who still want real goa just travel away from the obvious "caladorm" areas and you can still find real goa.
Gramps, times do have to change whether in your eyes for the good or bad, but just think what joy and happiness that these changes have made to the local communities and its people. I have now been going the last seven years, and yes I have seen the place change, but I have also spoken with many locals, who say that they like the changes and the influx of more tourist, as more tourists mean more work, its a big knock on effect, and I for one am happy at what I see, and again I will see it when I return in December. So I say dont be the negitive one, and dont think about yourself, think for of them poor souls in Goa who are not as fortunate as US........
PS: I tell you where I would like to see some change is at that, ******* airport. Please excuse my language...... jxk8
I think gramps might be referring to some of the visitors who don't respect the culture and want everything to be British yes things change but respecting other cultures is a must and yes tourism has helped the local economy but still respect Goa and the Goans as has already been said the Goans really are a wonderful people and great hosts. I know I was shocked on the plane last year to see and hear a group of lads being blatantly racist on the plane over last season :shock:
Don't look at the past we used to have a good night out for 2 bob now 10 p, I lived not far from Skegness always loved chip ally and still do, OK the cloth caps have changed to base ball caps and the waistlines are bigger , the kids are still screaming I want and the mothers still give them a clip round the ear, that's life so whats changed, take what you want from life and ignore the rest :lol:

Alan

I must be an optimist :rofl
In reply to jhk8, re the delight of the locals, I wonder if he might be confusing locals with the beach workers who are, almost without exception, not Goans but from neighouring states, mainly Karnataka and who apart from bribes, pay no Goan taxes whatsoever. The locals I speak to and have known since the late 80s are certainly not jumping for joy over the way things are going, far from it. The housing position worsens yearly, the lack of water, electricity and other essentials grow worse and worse The vast majority of development is purely speculative, funded mostly from out of state money from grey areas such as Kashmir who see a chance to turn some dubious money into a legitamate source. Very few of the hundreds of new ventures springing up are Goan owned. Come April and the doors are locked and the profits go out of Goa along with the owners. All I was trying to point out was that the tourists finding Goa now, are looking for what they look for in the Med, only cheaper, and an interest in the people, and culture of India, seems secondary to that, at least thats the impression given, by a lot of the posts lately on this forum. Alan
I don't go to Goa for the culture, I go for the sun, cheap food, beer, handbags, medication, teeth whitening and kareoke. 8)

and to give cheese to Linb :wink:
LOL vegasone :rofl ...........you really are very honest....and very funny!!

GFF xx
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.