Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
i only tip if you had good service dalaman to icmeler taxi i party of 9 of us gave 20 lira.meals 5 lira.drinks depending how many 2 to 5 lira.
oh and cleaners 2 weeks 20 lira
Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. :D
We only tip if we get good service - 10%.
ooo i'm feeling a bit tight now...lol... we just give the cleaners 10lira but we always leave them all our buckets and spades and lilo's and shampoo and unopened stuff like efe's (we ask them first if they want it) We always buy loads of kids stuff while we are there that isn't coming home. We got spencer a big aeroplane thing and the maid said her nephew would love it.

In restaurants/bars we just round things up so if its 17ytl they just get 20. Sometimes it works out more, sometimes less.
We stay in marmaris tho

love nikki xx
Thanks all, this advice is really appreciated. :D
i always leave the cleaner £10 and our unused items,,i leave our bar/reception girl £20 ,security £10 and tips in bars and restaraunts i either round up or leave 5 lira
Thanks LadyJan, that seems very generous
When drinking/eating out we round the bill upto approximatley 10%.

Cleaner £10

Bar staff at apartments the odd change into the tip box during the holiday , if they have looked after us well (They always do) they also get any money I have left over when we leave, this year is was just over 70TL

Dave
I do notice that not many people seem to tip the coach driver from the airprt, they lug all the cases on and off for you. They are not well paid and rely on tips.

BarbH
i noticed that people dont seem to tip the coach driver either ..maybe its because he is getting a wage from the tour operator? most bar staff rely on tips alone ..i know lots that have not had a wage yet , the girl at our apartments hasnt been payed for two years ,,and she works for family.she is hoping to get payed the end of this season though, they work really hard for very little .
I know coach drivers work for tour operators but they are not paid well. When we went to Olu with First Choice, the rep on our coach was quite upset when we got off, being the last one.She said we was the only ones that tipped. It was her that told me that they were poorly paid and relied on tips to make their wages up.

It is the same in AI hotels, a lot of people do not bother tipping and so the staff lose out unnlike the other hotels and bars/restaurants.

I suppose because we are not used to tipping for a lot of things over here eg in pubs that is strange to some when abroad.

Myself have always tipped and they do remember you for it and then get even better service the next time!!!!

Barb
hey, i too generally tip at least 10% but it depends on how gd person has been, i hate it when people dont tip the bus driver as like you's say their money is so crap! overall what we give in tips is nothing, come on we r on hol lol and i must say i never realised how much tips are needed and greatly appreciated till last year when i worked there on a boat for a few months-it was the tips that fed me!yes i got gd wage of 600ylt compared to others who only get 250ytl or whatever but i was 450 ytl on rent plus 50ytl for bills, 50ytl for dolmus to and from work so come on 50ytl to live on for a month :shock: no way lol, its the tips that keep you going and if i hadnt expereinced this for myself then i too would perhaps still b bit stingy but not now i realise lol!ANYWAY, thats just my tuppenceworth :D enjoy ur hols people, im off to marmaris on saturday,woohoo!!!
I always tip the bus driver just a few coins most need the tips as wages are poor
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.