Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Hi

I have been to egypt a lot of times and all you need to take is Egyptian LE. You do not need $. I went the first time to egypt with $ and came back with them :think
It isnt a myth re the dirty money, i advise to take hand disinfection from boots or similar places.
Reguarding tipping, well that depends on service and how much you would like to pay. Most restaurants have already added the service charge already, that said though, we usually give a personal tip as well. £10LE is the equivalent to a £1 sterling so work out how much you want to tip.
I agree buy your money there, you get a lot better rate than the UK.

Michelle x
sonesta beach resort queen :sun2
Thanks for the info folks. It will mainly be around the hotel for tipping as we are AI and the hotel beach is AI also so it will be a few LE here and there at the bar I guess.

Thanks again. Just need the weeks to roll by now as I'm already in holiday mode after visiting this site :cheers
I found if you have trouble getting small LE notes if you ask at your hotel reception, or at the bars and restaurants in you hotel they will exchange larger notes in to smaller ones, if you explain that it is for the purpose of tipping as they know it is then going to go to the staff in soime shape or form.

People will tell you to tip in pound coins, but they are not accepted in Egyptian banks and it will also mean you will be over tipping big time. Many restaurants & Bars already add on 22% to menu and bar prices which is 12% service and 10% local tax (might be vice versa) so although a tip will be appreciated, you will have tipped once already.

Doe
  • Edited by doe 2008-06-13 18:59:41
Last year the staff told us that dollars were best for them. when i bought the dollars and EGP i was asked if i wanted all small or large etc. we kept the larger dollars for the ones that were very good i.e the pool lad who kept our sunbeds and folded our towels into pillows, the waiters who brought our drinks to the pool and the lad who ran around finding tablets when the mummy tummy started then made us his special tea for an upset stomach..Well worth the larger notes.. but thats the way we are

sharon
Hi how much would you tip each of these at a time? We have been given 3 x LE 100 notes by the post office. This was £30 which will start us off but I would need to get it changed sharpish when we arrive. Any suggestions? :D
Change it at the airport for smaller notes, normally tip a quid per suitcase and tip about a quid each day for house-keeping etc.
Do you mean £1 english so LE 10? Sorry to be a bit durrr.
10LE. you cannot give Egyptians £1 coins, they cannot change them :tup
Change it at the airport for smaller notes, normally tip a quid per suitcase and tip about a quid each day for house-keeping etc.

Do you mean the coach driver or the bellboy or both?

Because I have read that Egyptian coach drivers MUST be tipped or else :yikes

I don't normally tip transfer coach drivers (I do tip drivers who take you on trips though).
It was more for the hotel staff, bar men, room service etc. Really not sure what's best or how frequently I should tip the bar staff. We are all inc so will be back and forward to the bar fairly regulalry for water, soft drinks and a beer if I manage to take enough water in to make beer a sensible option :think

We are at the 3 corners so if anybody could shed some light on what's reasonable practice at this resort (or in general) It would be useful.

Thanks
Not been to Three Corners, but a lot of AI hotels seem to have tip boxes in various places, so you could put small tips in these as you go along. The staff know who is putting in and who isn't.

I would tip the room boy at the end of your holiday asits supposed to be a tip for good service rather than a bribe lol. If you are going for a fortnight you could half what you are going to give and give one lot at the end of the first week and another lot at the end of the second week. You'll probably get a tidyer room the second week. LOL. Also if the room boy changes at the end of the first week it will be fairer.

Doe :sun2
The coach driver didnt get a tip last year, we went twice in July and August, both times the drivers didnt get off the coach to free suitcases!!! We did it ourselves, thus no tip :really
The coach driver didnt get a tip last year, we went twice in July and August, both times the drivers didnt get off the coach to free suitcases!!! We did it ourselves, thus no tip

BUT if he had put your case on or took your case off, you would have tipped him?
Or do you expect them to do both?

Sorry for 1001 questions, but I don't normally tip the coach driver for the transfer.
Many don't tip the coach driver, to be honest they work with Thomson or your travel company so are paid already.

It depends if they have offered a good service. If however it was a taxi cab that came to pick you up, them tip them, but per person not per car as if one person is in it.

If you are going on trips, then they expect tips and it is freely noticeable on the front of the coach, we would normally give a couple of quid 20LE.

Also a easy way of remembering the money in Egypt, just knock the 0 off, eg,

10LE = 1 pound sterling
20LE = 2 pound sterling
30LE = 3 pound sterling and so on ;)

We dont always tip the coach driver from the airport unless we have plenty of grotty notes :yuck

The person that takes your cases will require a pound each case.

HTH

Michelle x
sonesta beach resort queen :sun2
Funny if it was a cab I wouldn't think twice about it, I would just tip.

I do tip for days out coach drivers - anything other than transfers really.

When you say
The person that takes your cases will require a pound each case.

Who do you mean?

At the airport - I have a trolly case
The Bellboy at the hotel?

Sorry if I'm being thick but I''m still confused by who you mean here?
What person?

Thanks for all the info.
At the airport last time they charged 20LE and unless you cannot pull your suitcases is a waste of money, we have never taken them. Obviousley if you havent a pulley then thats a different matter.

The coaches are outside the door really waiting for you.

At the hotels they always grab your suit cases and take them in reception, then take them to your room. So yes you tip them for what they have done from getting off the coach, to getting to your room :tup
Thanks

I thought thats what you meant.

It was the charging bit that confused me. Of course the airport, we never use them as we have trolly cases.
They havent got tips from me either at the airport. If they don't do anything I wont tip, I'm sure last year it was the same as with yourself Michelle he didnt even get off the coach. :duh
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.