Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
Tips
10 Posts
Well I have not been on a P & O cruise but did an 'Island' one before it became part of the Thomson group and gratuities were included, as its money free on board it makes sense. At the end of the cruise some people, myself included decided there were staff that made my cruise that much more pleasant and gave them a little something as a thank you.
With Freedom Dining you will have different waiting staff every night making it difficult to tip at the end of the cruise. For Freedom Dining it is better to leave the tips on.

luci :wave
Luci do you actually use cash on board then on a P & O, assumed it was the same as the informal ones i.e. no cash
Its cashless, but they add a certain amount to your onboard account each day for gratuities.

luci :wave
Oh ok it's a little different then - much admit I would prefer to give by choice as opposed to having it included when you have no choice, if you know what I mean.
me to miss pink, think the tips work out about £30 each for myself, hubby and daughter (whos a student). Would people really tip £90 to staff at the end of a cruise? if they wasn't included, :think
Some cruises are gratuities included

P&O is not one of them.

Recomended grats on P&O are some of the lowest for those that don't include them

Some people are very generous to those that make the holiday special.
It was £1.60 per passenger per day last year for freedom dining and this is added to your account at the start of each day.

If you chose to use another restaurant for your evening meal they will remove the tips from your account.
Just checked in passing looking for bon voyage gifts(nothing on the web site so phoned and it was easy, use saynoto0870 to avoid the 0845No.)

Recommended tips are £3.10(bargain) freedom only allocates the dinning bit £1.60 and is still adjustable.

http://www.pocruises.com/Help/Money/

First of all, please do not worry about it. Who, when and how much you tip is at your discretion. Tips are usually given in cash at the end of your holiday to your stateroom Steward, Restaurant Stewards in the Club Dining restaurants, and to any other staff who you feel you wish to reward. The amount you tip is entirely up to you although, as a guide, we recommend a total amount per person (aged 12 and over) of £3.10 per day, which covers all staff who have looked after you during your holiday. The only exception to this is for passengers travelling on Oceana and Ventura who have opted to enjoy the flexibility of Freedom Dining as, with this style of dining, you may be seated at a different table and served by a different waiter on each occasion. We will therefore add an automatic service charge of £1.60 per passenger, per day to your shipboard account for the Restaurant Stewards. You will, of course, be able to increase or decrease this charge at your discretion by visiting Reception at any point during your cruise. You can also tip any other staff, including your stateroom Steward, as you feel appropriate. Further details of who and when you should tip can be found in your stateroom.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.