Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
I read that in the Mirror too about resorts being as dear as back home, must admit I found the same when we went this year :cry: right shame.
gby
Whilst in Marmaris in October I was reading a local paper about complaints over the prices in Dalaman airpot. This has been looked into and according to the paper Dalaman prices are not much different to Heathrow and other large airport prices.
Is it really £8.75 (21 Lira) for a Macdonalds meal in our airports? If so I will carry on taking packed lunches!!
Airports and anywhere else that sees themselves as having a captive audience will always charge whatever they can get because people will pay it. I saw the Mirror's article and they report it like it's something new. Last Wednesday we turned up at Dalaman with 10 bottles of Efes, sat at a table with some crisps and nobody batted an eyelid.

As for prices in resorts being expensive, I can only comment on Ovacik, Hisaronu and Olu Deniz but if they see them as being expensive I want to live where they live as they must pay a pittance for things!
The prices at Dalaman airport ARE a rip off, and are giving Turkey a bad name because its true!

Thanks to posts on this forum we expected it on our first trip and were prepared, although still shocked at the prices. All airports are expensive but Dalaman... I feel for families that get there and have a flight delay!

As for the resort prices, we found them very reasonable compared to the UK. For example a two course meal, drink each with coffee came to 39 lira, doubt that we would get that value for money here.
Dont suppose anyone is brave enough to supply a link to this article? or explain to me if I can read it on-line. Normally get the Mirror but didnt yesterday. :roll:

Thanks to anyone that can, Doe.
The shops in the airports are charged an exorbitant rent by the airport owners resulting in the very high prices. So it's not the shops that are at fault but the airport owners. I don't know what you can do about this and I live here. My next door neighbour had two shops in Antalya Airport but he has had to sell them as he could not make any money after paying the rent. Antalya Airport was recently bought by the people that own Franfurt Airport------- I bet the prices here are much higher next year. As somebody said, ' Take your own food and drink ' nobody bats an eyelid at this as all the Turks do it. Despite the airport prices we are staying !

Ian
here you go chris

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/travel/features/2007/11/03/trave-turking-the-mick-89520-20055012/.

I particularly like this bit .
Sermin Ozduran, UK & Ireland director for the Turkish Culture & Tourism Office, told me: "In recent years Turkey has heavily invested in tourism and due to extensive training the quality of service throughout the industry has undeniably improved.

well all I can say is I prefered it as it was .!!!
This very forum has done much to publicise the over the top prices being charged at Dalaman airport. On my last couple of visits to Marmaris I noticed more and more places offering to make up sandwiches for the airport. Great idea I thought.

Wilson :wink:
You will find that nowadays that hotels are catching on about the prices at the airports and will provide pack ups. We were in Kalkan back in September and we were eating happily for 40 Lira most nights but no more than 50 Lira. There was one night when we went to a proper Turkish place and only paid 26 Lira. Despite the airport prices, it won't put us off returning to the country we love. Les
Dont know how the airports down south are for prices , but Glasgow airport is as dear as every airport i have been in ,in places like Turkey , Cyprus ,Tenerife .i always take what i need to the airports ,such as crisps a few filled rolls and the likes .Tourists complaining about it is not going to change anything, the only way is to stop useing the shops cafes and such ,we are the only people who can stop it ,just dont encourage them ,i dont. If you count how much you can spend on the way out and the way home it can make a fair hole in your holiday spending money.
We always use the McDonalds at Gatwick, that way unlike Turkish airport ones, you just pay normal prices!
:kiss Lyn. One day I will work out how to find this stuff myself. LOL. Interesting reading.

Wilson - on the way back from Olu D last year the Thomson driver stopped en route for us to purchase food and drink from a Turkish mini-market. :) I am sure there was a drink in it for him somewhere along the line, but was still grateful that we didn't have to pay dalaman airport prices. The shop had loads of choice and many people took advantage of it. He explained it was because the airport was dear.

At Gatwick this year the 'Weatherspoons' food was the same price as any other one in their chain. Maccy d's (should that be your thing) and the Pizza franchises charge the same as well. At Stansted we ate in one of those American places (Garfunkles is it?) also seemed the same prices as the ones in London.

I hope your not being ripped off up there in Glasgow Peter, I know you already have to pay higher flight supplements than us. :shock:
This may be a bit off topic but I am sure I have seen advertising for UK airports that they have the same restaurant/shop prices as the High Street ones.

I may yet return to Turkey for a holiday but have slight misgivings about Dalaman airport with its bad reports of luggage and overcharging when luggage is not over the limit. I hate confrontation but by the same token, I wouldn't pay when I shouldn't have to - as yet I have never had any overweight luggage.

Cic
have to agree with RIK, the rents are excessive. The answer from Dalaman airport was thet prices were comparable with other international airports. He didnt reply to the fact that wages weren't!!
The good thing is that you can take food and drink throught to the duty free, maybe they will get the message when shops wont pay the high rents!
One of the small kiosks at Antalya was chargin 18 YTL for a cheese and tomato roll, and 7 YTL for a paper cup of Nescafe.....

No wonder no-one was buying.... not sure how high fast food was, as I never buy it anywhere!
I have not travelled to Dalaman yet (going in July) :D but have seen the high prices for food and drink charged at Izmir, Antalya, Istanbul and Bodrum. I have only ever purchased a single coffee (usually so I can sit in the cafe's smoking areas :) ) and this is usually around £4-5.

The Turkish airports seem particularly expensive but I was amazed to read Lyn's link to the Mirror where so many travellers said they wouldn't travel to Turkey again because of the cost of drinks at the airport :!: Surely you just remember to take your own next time.

Cazz
I have been travelling to Turkey for many years and have always found their airport cafes to be very expensive compared to other countries airports. There was a report a few years back saying Dalaman was one of the most expensive in the world. They are much more than UK airports where coffee etc is much the same as any high street cafe. Like others here we always take a picnic and eat it at the tables by the cafe - no problem. The more people who do this the better and then maybe the airports will have to review their rents etc. The people who need forewarning are those who are new to Turkey but it sounds as if some of the hotels are doing this.
I have travelled a few times from the domestic terminal at Dalaman - not so expensive there!!
I never go in the eating area at Dalaman airport as its like Smokey Joes cafe!I wouldnt eat there if the food was free!
I took my own rolls and meat to Dalaman airport and my own drink! I was ripped off a few years back and learn't a lesson, once bitten twice shy! But on the flight to Belfast I was charged £3.40 for two cups of tea!

wgipk.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.