Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
topless?
49 Posts
if i' right in what i heard when i was there end of june begining of july there was a law that was coming into force on the 19th mjuly banning topless sunbathing but that was in altinkum don't know about anywhere else,hope this helps you

suzie
thanks suzieg, can anyone back this up as I wouldn't want to break the law :oops:
I didn't hear about a ban when we were in Icmeler in June but it was obvious that there were far fewer topless sunbathers in Icmeler/Marmaris than you would see on most other Mediterranean/Aegean beaches.

Dave

Forgot to say - a lot of the more traditional Turkish women went in the sea fully clothed (including headscarves - but a lot of the younger women seem to be more westernised and this was obvious in their fashion styles and attitudes.
so there were topless sunbathers then Dave? I think I should just wait & see if there are others topless before I do
Might differ from one resort to another, but I think you will find some people sunbathing topless in the major resorts. However, a bit of dignity and discretion is certainly appreciated when venturing off the beach, for instance if you're popping into a bar or cafe at lunchtime.
In Icmeler it's fine at the beach or poolside at your hotel.
Thanks Blondiescot, I would not venture off my sunbed let alone go into a bar/cafe :yikes

I just don't want any white bits thats all
There are some who would though....and it isn't always a pretty sight! :really
People do sunbathe topless on the beach or by the pool and as long as you are discreet you should be ok.
I believe that topless is tolerated in some resorts.

However, it is definitely something which does offend local people and reinforces their opinions of the lack of morals and dignity in Europe.
I would never dream about intentially offending anyone :(

As for lack of morals & dignity, I take that very offensive!!

I thought that this forum was about constructive advice NOT to be judged like you have apollo. I shall not post again!!
I havent personally got my boobs out on the beach but lots do in Icmeler.

Again just cover your self up when off your sunlounger!

Louise x
The first time we visited Olu Deniz was approx 15 years ago & tourism was so new that I didn't see anyone going topless around our hotel pool nor on the beach.

However every year we have visited since this situation has changed dramatically, the Turkish people are used to Europeans going topless and I personally don't think they take any offence as long as it's not flaunted, i.e. going to the bar etc. without shoving a top or sarong on first. Which to be honest most people would do anyway, again, most people would put a bikini top on to go swimming too.

Common sense prevails I think, if you feel uncomfortable don't do it in your surroundings but if others are and there's no problem then go for it. The world is becoming a very small place due to air travel and as long as you respect the culture your in then I don't see a problem.

Enjoy your holiday ;)
I have read and re-read apollo11's post in answer to hisandhers' query about whether local people might be offended by topless sunbathing. It doesn't state it's apollo11's own judgement of a person sunbathing topless, but apollo11's belief that it offends local people and how it reinforces beliefs they hold about European people in general. I think you've read this wrongly. Whether it's the belief of all Turkish people is another matter.

I don't think there will be many Turkish women topless, as it is, in general, not culturally/religiously acceptable in my experience. On holiday in July, I saw numerous Turkish women in the sea in full clothing. So for those women, even a modest swimsuit isn't modest. I saw a couple of others in swimming costumes, but not one in a bikini. This is no judgement, just what I observed.

However, in the tourist resort areas, there will be women from other countries on beaches/round pools sunbathing topless. I did see a sign on part of the town beach in Side that forbade topless sunbathing. I guess it's an activity that tourism has taken to Turkey, as is the case in a number of countries. After a number of years it probably doesn't raise an eyebrow amongst those used to seeing it :)
I don't think apollo was judging either, it was just a comment on whay some local people feel. Obviously younger Turkish people will have a different view to older ones. I have seen Turksih girls in bikinis but not topless but I don't think they would be offended. Older Turkish people however probably would be offended and think in just the way apollo suggests. This is not being judgemental, just giving an answer to the question.
We've been to Turkey many times and there are very few topless bathers - especially compared with Spain etc (although there definitely are some.)

I also don't think apollo11's view was his own but can confirm that it often is the view of, even young, Turkish men that we have spoken to. As we are middle aged they often confide and chat quite easily to us. In Olu Deniz several of the guys had Australian wives/girlfriends and said that they would not seriously go out with any European (especially British) girls as they considered their behaviour poor and certainly lacking dignity.
I have been all over turkey for years now and seen many topless woman of all shapes ,ages and sizes and never heard any young turkish men complain about it .I believe the original poster was asking if it was alright to sunbathe topless and the answer is yes.It is up to each individual if they want or not and i dont think it is fair for anyone to moralise about other people just because they dont like it . If it offended the turks then i think they would have plenty to say about it and then it would indeed be banned.

Dont take it to heart hisandhers some people just word things the wrong way .You will find that most people on here are very helpful ,but some are quite critical .

Bluepeterno1
i always go topless wearing a tee shirt affects my tan lol :rofl
You'll be fine going topless on the beach or around the pool. Any Turk who's worked in a resort for more than one season won't bat an eye about it. If it really offended them, there would be laws in place to ban it all over Turkey.

Elaine
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.