General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
i saw this,,,, and surely there was not one moment when the pilot or hosteesses said on the plane, "welcome to your flight to turkey,,,,"
the family said they fell asleep as soon as they got on the plane??/ dunno
The lady was apparently a teacher. I hope she wasn't a geography teacher if she thought Bodrum was in Lanzarote - doesn't say much for the standard of education does it. :duh
What you've got to remember, is that it was a 6.30am flight, so can you imagine the check in at about 3.30/4.0am. Would any of us be at our best? I think that this sort of thing is because previously you had dedicated check in's for each flight, now it's one desk for all.
Even taking into consideration the time of the flight I still think I would have looked at my boarding pass and realised that it had the wrong destination on. But then I am one who likes to check everything.

Pippa
Rest assured she will get the ,whotsit, ripped out of her by the rest of the staffroom when she gets back to school! :rofl If it was my school her classroom would have been redecorated in a Turkish style ready for the return in September! :D
I know a lot of people who are flying to Lanzarote for the first time aren't aware that the name of the airport in Lanzarote is Arrecife and on one report that I read she said she wasn't familiar with the name Bodrum so when the cabin staff said ' welcome to your flight to Bodrum' it probably didn't ring any alarm bells. I would hate to be in her shoes though when she goes back to work.
the poor woman.......... :que ......stand up all who are perfect...... :duh ......mind you i nearly am......
I always carry a compass :tup

Then again, if they got on the wrong flight they got no chance of reading a compass have they :que :rofl
I just don't get it.. i know it was an early check in and i can understand them not checking the boarding cards but they surely must have noticed at the gate that it said Bodrum and not Arrecife.. i know they're claiming they didn't know where Bodrum is but i don't buy it.. they must have booked the holiday and at some point seen which airport they were flying to... :que
with check in desks covering all flights i suppose it was bound to happen, if it had been Que for this flight only [as most are] it would not have happened
That doesn't quite tally up though as if tourist didn't know where Bodrum was they may well have queued at that particular separate desk.

The tourist would have known which desk to queue at based on the destination of the flight, so what is the difference?

Mark :)
Not neccessarily Mark, a lot of operators don't have seperate desks for seperate flights. Very few scheduled airlines have seperate desks you just get into one queue and last time I flew with TUI everyone had to get into one long line even though they were going to many different destinations.
I do find the whole thing a bit hard to believe but then I travel on a regular basis, I know my airports and their codes but not everyone is an experienced traveller.
Judith, perhaps I didn't make myself clear, but my post was in response to Wizard's post who said that if there were seperate desks this perhaps would not have happened? What desk did this tourist know to queue up then if they were seperate? You would have throught not the desk that said Bodrum so why did the tourist board a flight through a gate that said Bodrum?

Mark :)
Mark
Sorry, I obviously musunderstood you. Do we know if there were seperate desks? if so you are right why did she queue in the Bodrum line. Surely her paperwork said Arrecife so she should have queued there.
As I said I am finding it a bit hard to believe, but having worked in tourism and at times giving customers explicit instructions re. their travel and they still got very mixed up and missed flights etc. I am rarely suprised these days when I hear of this sort of thing happening.
Judith
the departure board gates often only give the flight number and airline so i can see if for example they have boarding passes saying gate 103 and at the gate it says Thomson tom123 [which is on the boarding card] i can easily see them making a mistake, you most remember a lot of holiday makers do not know the name of the local airport just where they are meant to be going, in many cases they don't know who they are flying with as all that interest them is what time and where there flight is from to go

Brian
Experienced travellers check everything because they're scared of messing up,
Inexperienced travellers check everything because they are scared of messing up,

people who don't check before getting on a plane .................... :que
Have I missed something? Surely for them to be simply checked in for a flight to Bodrum they would have to be on the reservations list for that flight? And if they were, how the hell did the airline get people going to Lanzorote onto that list?

I can see the possiblity of them being checked in by mistake as a family with the same name and numbers but what's the odds of that happening and then the real family failing to turn up? Or did the other family get sent to Arrecife in their place? There's more to this story than was reported and I can't help feeling that poor security checks is part of it.
It's suprising they got on the wrong flight. Cardiff's only a small airport, flights are announced, and your boarding cards are checked a couple of times before you'd leave the ground...when you get to the boarding gate and when you actually get on the plane. Amazed that no one picked it up.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.