Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
traditional food
10 Posts
Cataplana and Chickne Piri Piri are the obvious ones. Cataplana is usually fish, but can also be meat. Piri Piri is hot [Chili] and spicy, sometimes they do prawns piri piri. The fish is lovely, but dont go in restaurant that sells by weight, this can work out very expensive. Sardines are lovely.
Steak on a stone is not traditional but is good fun. :)
But don't go for steak on a stone if you like it well done, you will end up having it ready by about breakfast time. :lol:
Don't forget those little egg-custard tarts which go so well with your mid-morning coffee.
.....if you want those ask for "pasteis de nata" or(if you only want one but you won't !!) "pastel de nata".
Almond cake "bolo amendoa"is also a traditional dessert.
I was in Wisbech, Cambridgeshire yesterday and noticed that a Portugese cafe has just opened there . Being Sunday, it was closed, but if I ever find it open I shall see if they have any "pasteis de nata" on offer.
Don't forget to try bacalhau a bras or the hundreds of other ways they have for cooking this dried cod.
Pat :glynis
On the subject of bacalhau, I read recently of a new restaurant which has opened in Lisbon, and called "Casa de Bacalhau"(House of Cod) which has over a thousand :shock: bacalhau dishes on its menu.
Quote: I was in Wisbech, Cambridgeshire yesterday and noticed that a Portugese cafe has just opened there . Being Sunday, it was closed, but if I ever find it open I shall see if they have any "pasteis de nata" on offer.

Being Portuguese, they will probably close for lunch...

:rofl
mirage,
Something else you may wish to try is Calde Verde, a traditional Portuguese soup made with potatoes and cale - really tasty but better on one of the cooler evenings, if you get one. :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.