Tunisia Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tunisia.
Trains go from Sousse to Tunis so you will need to get the 'Noddy train', tuk-tuk or taxi to Sousse from PEK. Journey to Tunis takes 2 hours and costs 8.650 dinars first class single (don't know the return as I get single on the way in and again on the way back to the airport). You can also get a 'Carte Blue' which gives you unlimited travel on the trains and metro for a week. I can't remember the price but I think it's about 26 dinars. For this I believe you need a passport sized photo. There are two stations at Sousse, the mainline and the metro, which goes out to Mahdia, Monastir and other places. You can get a timetable on the internet - watch out that some trains don't run on Sundays. Stations are written in Arabic but also in 'normal' script, though sometimes it is hard to read them and announcements are usually in Arabic. Try not to travel in the 'rush hour' as it makes the London underground look like a picnic. :roll:
Thanks, that sounds grand. So do you buy the tickets in a machine or kiosk? do you have to get your ticket validated or "obliterer" in french?
Buy your ticket at the ticket office at the station. A guard will come round on the train and check it. They also come round with refreshments - a lot cheaper than British Rail!
This site might help ;

http://www.seat61.com/Tunisia2.htm

We caught the train for our transfer back to monastir from Madhia...no problems..a bit like British Rail trains of the 60's from our experience !

:lol:
The big difference between the trains in Tunisia and the UK that we found is that they ran on time.
If you go first class they are very comfortable
Well if they run on time thats all i need. :lol: Its just that i'd rather take the train than do an organised excursion. So would you say its best to go first class? Just wondering if first class is booked out is second ok? but if its anything like in France its fine Can t wait!!!!!.
Hi la lorientaise, we live in Tunisia for 6 months every year and use the train frequently and normally just use the standard class . It's a great way to travel and meet the locals who are so very friendly - often chattering and offering sweets etc. We do make an exception for long journeys in the hot weather, as the first class is air conditioned. 8) Enjoy!! Jenny
Ok then I ll see for myself when i get there!!!
Thanks
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.